Embracing a new concept...and freeing our minds from preconception. Not easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay everyone, Joe and I are on the ground in Dusseldorf with Ehsan! We'll have some cool pics, more information and maybe some more questions..

If you have some questions on Triton or the method, ask away! We'll be here for the next couple of days, and it's a great time to get some answers right from the man himself!

-Scott

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the proper means for exporting unwanted ions like silicate, chloride, etc. Assuming that you're converting an existing system where some levels may be higher than desired what is the proposed method to lower them?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Ehsan:

"There is an uptake of silicates by GFO media, such as Rowaphos or aluminum based products like Phos Ban. Not sure why you would want to export chloride. Chlorides typically do not need not "exported", because you'll be depleting the largest component of seawater in the process. The best way would be to rebalance by adding the other ions (i.e.; sodium, potassium,calcium, etc.) in the same ratios, and lowering the specific gravity to NSW levels. It's typically something that would not happen in reality. Also, macro algae can utilize some chloride. An ionic misbalance like this would happen because of over-dosing calcium chloride.

This is a kind of Balling "classic" theory, in actuality."

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That makes sense...I see I have a lot yet to learn about chemistry. I never expected this hobby to lead where it has!

I completely understand! I'm going to really have to crack open the textbooks and teach myself some of this stuff again. Well worth learning!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of Triton founder Ehsan Dashti's fantastic reef system, maintained with the "Triton Method."

No magic potions, no gimmicks...again, just a philosophy of "empowered reef keeping", based on real-world information.

Triton-hybrid-multiacuta.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2987_1.jpg

IMG_2983_1.jpg

As you can see from the pics, growth, morphology, and overall health of the corals are phenomenal. We were particularly intrigued with just how thick the branches are on the Acros, the complete color, and the way the tissues extend even to the underside of the colonies.

IMG_2973_1.jpg

And we'll put up more pics and information from our visit soon. When you see and hear how truly simple this reef really is, it will definitely make you want to open your mind up to the concepts Ehsan is proffering! We can't wait to bring you more..It's truly a cool time to be a reefer.

P.S.- when you see the "Lani" LED system manufactured by Triton, it will blow your mind..

_Scott

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Scott we must open everyones mind to new ways of doing things. Forward thing is good for the hobby.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the presentation at MACNA and walked away a little luke warm on the whole thing. I felt then that I was being sold on this new testing method and the trace elements they will sell based on the results of your tests. I'm getting a similar feeling about this thread, but that's kind of the point of a vendor forum :p However, I'm certainly open to changing my perspective and I don't have any problem with being sold something if it can truly help me and the hobby. So, a few questions if you don't mind...

1.) What is Eshan's background as a scientist? Degree, area of study, etc.

2.) Are there any guarantees on the accuracy of the results. Some of these trace elements can be pretty toxic at low levels, and how readily he was tossing around the idea of dosing zinc threw up some red flags for me. The Julian Sprung Goniopora explanation for that was lacking at best.

3.) A greater understanding of the biological function each trace element contributes to our tank would be a big help here. In the presentation and at the booth, there didn't seem to be much knowledge put forth in that regard, again, that's troubling to me.

4.) Seawater samples are different around the world. So we're supposed to maintain certain levels to mimim NSW levels. What NSW, from where? Is there a range people are supposed to shot for?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the presentation at MACNA and walked away a little luke warm on the whole thing. I felt then that I was being sold on this new testing method and the trace elements they will sell based on the results of your tests. I'm getting a similar feeling about this thread, but that's kind of the point of a vendor forum :p However, I'm certainly open to changing my perspective and I don't have any problem with being sold something if it can truly help me and the hobby. So, a few questions if you don't mind...

1.) What is Eshan's background as a scientist? Degree, area of study, etc.

2.) Are there any guarantees on the accuracy of the results. Some of these trace elements can be pretty toxic at low levels, and how readily he was tossing around the idea of dosing zinc threw up some red flags for me. The Julian Sprung Goniopora explanation for that was lacking at best.

3.) A greater understanding of the biological function each trace element contributes to our tank would be a big help here. In the presentation and at the booth, there didn't seem to be much knowledge put forth in that regard, again, that's troubling to me.

4.) Seawater samples are different around the world. So we're supposed to maintain certain levels to mimim NSW levels. What NSW, from where? Is there a range people are supposed to shot for?

I can understand how you might feel that things are a bit commercial. Well, the reality is that Triton sells a product (tests) and trace elements, etc. There is no getting around that. However, the point of all of this stuff is increasing success as a reefer with knowledge. We have spent the better part of three decades in the reefing hobby chasing all sorts of parameters and different promises of achieving success via various "methods", and it's only natural that you might be a bit skeptical. Skepticism, as outlined previously in this post, is good. We feel that this methodology, which relies on scientifically verifiable facts, as opposed to assumptions and guesses, is a great way to achieve the results we all want. We're very enthusiastic about this! That being said, you will not hear, and have not heard, any of the people associated with Triton say "This is the BEST method", or stuff like that...It's one way to achieve success, and it has a lot going for it.

Here are answers to your questions from Ehsan, who Joe and I are with at this moment:

1) Ehsan studied chemistry at University of Cologne in Germany. He also studied
production technology. He started Triton Labs 7 years ago, with his father and mother, a chemist and pharmacist respectively.

2) Ehsan did not quite understand this question. What kinds of guarantees would be required? Why would there be a need for a guaranty? What would it look like? If you are curious because of some strange result, like 10,000PPB of iodine or something like that, there is a post-validation check built into the protocol which will warn lab personnel that something is wrong! If you want assurances of accuracy, Triton provides information on the limits of detection for all of the elements it analyzes. Also, regression out of the ICP machine for each element to be tested is available. The deviation (+ /-) will be forthcoming (it takes a little time to get these figures together). Even the line line definition is available on request, and possibly will be a download in the future.

As far as dosing zinc is concerned, Ehsan was not suggesting to dose for zinc unless your water was determined to be deficient in that particular trace element. Zinc is a co-factor in an enzyme called carboanhydrase, which is needed and produced by corals as they grow, to keep the pH within the coral tissues from becoming acidic.

3) We are truly in unknown waters here, no pun intended. The irony is that, even though we can test for many of these things, and know what ratios they should be at compared to natural sea water, scientists do not fully understand the specific function of every trace element in NSW. That being said, we know what natural sea water values are, and we try to replicate these values because of a lack of complete knowledge at this point. This is still more accurate information than we have ever had previously about natural sea water in the hobby. Remember, the purpose of the analysis is not only to determine shortcomings, it is to detect harmful excesses and to suggest corrections that can be made to avoid harm to corals.

4) Yes, seawater composition is different at locales all around the world. Just how different? To find out what the differences are, you need to test. Triton does not pretend to know the answers about the seawater everywhere. The set points for Triton's recommendations were arrived at by analyzing samples of NSW from around the world, especially reef habitats, and are an average of levels form the locales studied, with the exception of dangerous components that have their source in pollution, etc. It's the best information currently available. If a reefer wants to replicate a specific habitat, it is possible to create water chemistry parameters based on these locales. That is the beauty of having information. You as a reefer can even change the set points on your own.

Thank you for your participation. We appreciate your feedback and participation, and encourage you to share your opinions and questions!

Scott, Joe, and Ehsan

Last edited:

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, I hope you're coming back with a triton lab tucked in your carryon and a healthy supply of triton additives to sell stateside. My only reservation at this point is all the shipping involved but I'm putting my faith in you to solve that problem! Thanks in advance

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, I hope you're coming back with a triton lab tucked in your carryon and a healthy supply of triton additives to sell stateside. My only reservation at this point is all the shipping involved but I'm putting my faith in you to solve that problem! Thanks in advance

Hey reggaedrummin,

Might have some trouble getting stuff like pure vanadium and such getting through customs, LOL. Actually, we have a few pallets of Triton stuff that is being shipped via Ocean Freight; should be here right after we roll out the tests officially (Our projected formal launch date is 10/15/14), but we will probably have some tests in European packaging before that to use. You'll be able to order right from the Unique Corals website, and ultimately, you'll be able to purchase kits and such from a variety of LFS's and other sources nationwide. Stay tuned for more announcements!

We have worked out the shipping, and more is evolving as we speak.

FYI, there will be much, much more information, materials, etc. available starting in the next week. We intend to provide the same level of support from Triton that you've experienced with Unique Corals, including a forum and website, etc., all via dedicated channels.

Keep staying tuned for more information.

Thanks,

Scott

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reggaedrummin,

Might have some trouble getting stuff like pure vanadium and such getting through customs, LOL. Actually, we have a few pallets of Triton stuff that is being shipped via Ocean Freight; should be here right after we roll out the tests officially (Our projected formal launch date is 10/15/14), but we will probably have some tests in European packaging before that to use. You'll be able to order right from the Unique Corals website, and ultimately, you'll be able to purchase kits and such from a variety of LFS's and other sources nationwide. Stay tuned for more announcements!

We have worked out the shipping, and more is evolving as we speak.

FYI, there will be much, much more information, materials, etc. available starting in the next week. We intend to provide the same level of support from Triton that you've experienced with Unique Corals, including a forum and website, etc., all via dedicated channels.

Keep staying tuned for more information.

Thanks,

Scott
This is great news! Thanks,
Justin

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome. I would be willing try out this new method as soon as it is available. Looking forward to hearing more!

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along.

Do these tests show items that are not supposed to be there? I have a friend struggling with water quality and all the typical stuff comes out fine, PO4 NO3 etc... What if there was some compound from say a farm, something like a pesticide? Would that show up?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along.

Do these tests show items that are not supposed to be there? I have a friend struggling with water quality and all the typical stuff comes out fine, PO4 NO3 etc... What if there was some compound from say a farm, something like a pesticide? Would that show up?

They will test for trace elements, some of which may be present in concentrations that might be harmful to corals, or deficient to the detriment of coral growth. The ICP test is not conducted for pesticides or other unknowns. Now, some of these trace elements may be found in pesticides, and may show up as such at higher concentrations in the ICP tests!

Scott

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this sounds really cool, and to actually have answers about what your levels/parameters are would be amazing.

My only worry is the practicality of sending off and paying for the results, and then finding the need to boost certain elements and then have to send off for testing again to see if youve reached those levels and how long they will maintain at said level.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this sounds really cool, and to actually have answers about what your levels/parameters are would be amazing.

My only worry is the practicality of sending off and paying for the results, and then finding the need to boost certain elements and then have to send off for testing again to see if youve reached those levels and how long they will maintain at said level.

Hi Chris,

Your concern is most definitely a valid one. No one wants to have to be a slave to aquarium testing. The reality is, if you subscribe to Triton's methodology, once your parameters are "set", which may be after just a few months, the need for frequent testing will diminish significantly, requiring testing only once every 2-3 months to make sure you're on track (of course, some of us crazy reefers- seeing who we are, will enjoy seeing monthly test results). The tests are straightforward- you simple collect two vials of water, register on line, and return the samples to Triton in a postage-paid envelope for testing. Yes, the tests are not dirt cheap. However, neither is blindly adding supplements, dosing vaguely defined "solutions", and guessing what your corals are lacking for growth. These test results are not the greatest thing ever to happen to reef keepers...however, they offer the aquarist access to the most detailed water testing data we have had access to thus far in the reef hobby, and provide incredible information based solely on fact, to help you make the right husbandry decisions for your reef.

Fact is, it may not be for everyone. It's not the ONLY way to run a reef. It's a very successful method- one of many. The methodology is actually quite simple in practice, but you will need to have a basic understanding of exactly WHY things are done the way they are done in the method. Once you grasp some basic principles, the whole approach will make a tremendous amount of sense, and you'll realize it's probably way easier and more successful for you than many systems you might have tried in the past.

Growing corals will utilize trace elements, some of which will require direct replenishment. You will be regularly administering a 4 part "Base" solution to maintain calcium, alkalinity, and basic trace elements. Rather than resorting to guesswork and the potential inconsistencies caused by regular water changes or vague "supplements", the Triton Method recommends administering only the trace elements that your corals are using, in amounts specifically tied to your reef's actual needs (determined via the tests). Excess levels of trace elements, which you might encounter after the initial testing, can be identified easily with the testing as well. In the next few days, we'll have a much more detailed discussion and information on how to get start with the Triton Method on your existing reef, as well as how to set up a new system from scratch with this method. Don't worry, we'll be there every step of the way to answer questions and provide support!

Thanks,

Scott

gregoryleonard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following. I am a firm believer in knowing what the levels for each mineral and trace minerals present in your water (we just never had a comprehensive test to show us that) and how the levels need to be adjusted to achieve consistent levels in our eco systems that will promote healthy corals and fish. I will gladly pay for such a test to KNOW where the levels are and then have a road map to get there.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back