Embracing a new concept...and freeing our minds from preconception. Not easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, let me say a big “Thank you!” to everyone who participated in the “Endangered” thread…Thanks to your interest, this thread has been re-distributed and discussed all around the internet. Donations have begun to flow into PIJAC in their effort to work on the legislation. Awareness is at an all time high, especially because guys like Andrew Rhine, Ret Talbot, and Matt Pedersen are out there writing and blogging way more factual, informative pieces about this topic than I ever could. Please read, understand, and share their articles with everyone in the hobby that you know- and maybe even those outside the hobby.

Although my rant was lacking in more solid detail on the bill- and a bit misinformed about the actual details, actually- because little detailed factual information was readily obtainable at the time- we accomplished something that I knew we could- raising awareness and interest in a vital issue affecting our hobby/industry, and the wild reefs. With one notable exception- a fellow vendor, (highly opinionated, and, IMHO sadly ignorant, irrelevant in the industry, frustrated, and misinformed) who felt I was using this and my other rants to trash talk the industry, market Unique Corals as THE one vendor who is doing everything correctly, and hypocritically make the industry look bad- everyone was civil, and understood the rant for what it was…a kick in the backside to each and every one of us to wake up and smell the frag glue! (note- the vendor was civil- just astonishingly off base, IMHO).

Anyways, I felt it would be nice to bring up some other topics today…Not to forget or leave behind the ESA topic at all, but to discuss some other stuff as that discussion continues…

We’ll start with what we feel is a truly exciting, potentially game-changing approach to coral husbandry. It dovetails well with the need -enhanced by last week's ESA announcement- that it's really important for us to all be successful at keeping and propagating corals in captivity for indefinite terms. We need to examine and embrace many techniques to get there. This is one such technique. The hardest part is understanding the thought behind the technique, and freeing your mind from the confines of what we’ve been doing for so long.

That’s not easy, believe me.

As I may have discussed previously, Joe, Dave and I have been emersing ourselves in the “Triton Method”, which originated in Germany. It’s taking Europe by storm, and for good reason. The results we’ve seen thus far have been amazing. Triton Labs was started by reefer/scientist Ehsan Dashti of Dusseldorf, Germany to provide super-detailed water chemistry analysis using an advanced, above-research-grade inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectroscopy (ICP-OES) machine to analyze aquarium water with a level of detail and precision never before applied to aquarium keeping. By applying this technique, called high precision liquid chromatography, the concentration of*Na, S, K, Br, Ca, Mg, Sr, B, As, Sb, Pb, Cu, Zn, Sn, Mo, Si, Li, Mn, Al, I, P, Ba, Be, Co, Cr, Fe, V, Ni, Ti, Hg, Cd and Se can be determined using ICP-OES.

The data about your reef gleaned by the very affordable test is on a level never before seen in the hobby. By knowing exactly what is deficient or excessive in your water chemistry, adjusting becomes a simple matter of adding or removing the trace elements in question, so that the concentrations in your system mimic those found in natural seawater. No guesswork, no vague additions of equally vague supplements- simply the addition of pure trace elements in the proper concentration for your system.

Periodic_table_(polyatomic).svg.jpg

Woah! High school chemistry flashback...Sorta?

In short, it’s a quantum leap forward in reef aquarium management. We like to call it “Empowered Reefkeeping” - making husbandry decisions for your reef solely on factual data- and it’s changing the way we are thinking about keeping corals in our aquariums. Triton’s “method” requires us to let go of some long-held preconceptions, such as the need for regular water changes as a primary means of nutrient export and trace element replenishment. That’s a HUGE thing for an old salt like me to let go of..If you read my writings and attend my lectures, you KNOW I’m pretty much obsessed with water changes.

The Triton thing is changing my mind..

"What? Has Fellman fallen victim to a fad- a cult- the 'next big trend?' " Well, the “next big thing" you could call it, perhaps…But I assure you that I’m just as cranky, skeptical, and objectively engaged as ever.

But spending time with Eshan after MACNA got me thinking.

Why do we change water in our reefs? Well, to export nutrients, metabolites, and replenish trace elements. At least, that’s what we’ve grown up to believe. Eshan proffers that water changes create- get this- variables that can potentially negatively impact our reefs. Why? Think about it. Every time you change water, you’re actually changing the chemical characteristics of your reef- forcing corals to make adaptations. Trace elements contained in salt mixes are being “replenished”, or, in some cases, removed, through changes. We don’t really even know in what proportions. We had Triton test some commercial salt mixes, and were stunned to find many of them were utterly defficient- or even lacking some of the trace elements they were purported to have in the mixed samples we sent. Some had trace elements considered potentially detrimental at levels that were way over natural reef levels. Inconsistency was high, at the very least. Yikes.

Trace elements are vital to coral health and growth. I’m not talking about calcium here- I’m talking about stuff like Zinc, Manganese, Vanadium, etc. Some stuff is actually toxic or detrimental to corals- and it’s coming in and accumulating with water changes. We sent Ehsan samples of our propagation systems’ water for analysis, and quite frankly, were shocked by the results. Utterly lacking in some vital trace elements- too high on others. And we feel that we practice above-average husbandry technique on our systems- particularly water changes.

I am not- and will not-make damaging and dismissive statements about commercial reef salt mixes, so don’t look for that poop here. We are not blaming the salt mixes. This isn't an alarmist, "anti-salt-mix-rant" (I can hear a certain detractor now...). That’s not the point. I’m not qualified, trained, nor interested in making such a statement. In fact, our information was gleaned by only a test or two on each of the salt mixes we used- hardly sufficient to draw conclusions. The results could have been skewed by a bad batch of salt, storage, the way we mixed them, or any number of factors. Nonetheless, it got our attention. In order to make statements about any mix, detailed, professionally administered and constructed long-term trials under strict scientific controls would need to be conducted. I’m simply telling you what we found out in a few tests.

The major point here is that by changing water with any brand of salt mix, you’re creating some potential variables that can affect your corals’ health, especially if you jump from brand to brand. Here’s a case for brand loyalty if I ever saw one. Triton suggests that trace elements need to be maintained at NSW levels, and I see their reasoning. The idea is that you can utilize any brand of salt mix you like, but also utilize an initial “base” of trace elements in the proper NSW ratios to “get things going”, then have regular water tests conducted for the first few months as you “fine tune” your trace elements to achieve NSW levels in your system.

4852_1.jpg

Time for me to part ways with my beloved siphon hose? hmm..at least time to rethink the relationship...

Magic potions? Crazy claims? That’s what I thought at first, until I got my head around it, and saw the results. It’s hard to argue with fact- and that’s what Triton does. It's a certain leap of faith to jump into something simply because it makes sense to you. Triton is sort of evolved simplicity, really. It eliminates guesswork and vagueness, focusing solely on the “real time” parameters in your reef. It’s basically doing what we FELT that we were doing all of these years with water changes, “combined trace element solutions”, and additives- but in the correct amounts necessary to make our individual systems thrive. The neat thing is, you’re not subscribing to an endless repertoire of water tests, and purchasing endless quantities of vague solutions or dozens of trace elements to create success. You're merely giving your reef exactly what it needs, and removing what it doesn't....nothing more, and nothing less.

Yes, Triton performs the tests for a fee. They're a business. You will need to test more frequently while your getting your parameters dialed in, add only the pure trace elements in amounts that are dictated for your system as a result of the test, and then you follow some basic husbandry procedures, monitoring water parameters less frequently. You likely will only need to add a few trace elements from the twenty-something Triton tests for. And yeah, if you can find lab grade Vanadium, Manganese, etc, you can utilize them from any source. Triton does happen to sell them, of course, which makes it easy. The money and energy saved by NOT having to throw random additives into your system, making water changes, etc. more than makes up for the modest fees for testing the water periodically.

Obviously, the next question is- “How do you export nutrients, then?”

Easy. Triton espouses utilizing the time-honored concept of the macroalgae-based refugium, coupled with the continuous use of protein skimming, chemical filtration media, such as activated carbon and GFO (both aluminum and iron base- as these can affect water chemistry!). You top off with RO/DI water like you always have. You keep a hefty population of fishes in your reef, and feed them heavily. You use one food that you're comfortable with, as multiple foods can introduce varying levels of - you guessed it- trace elements, minerals etc- all of which can potentially affect water chemistry.

refugium-4.jpg

Is it time for the rebirth of the macro algae refugium?

The theory is that once you get things dialed in, the corals will utilize all of the metabolic waste products of the fishes more efficiently for food, as well as whatever is produced in the refugium. Metabolic waste is consumed efficiently by the macro algae, skimming, and chemical filtration. Yes, trace elements will also be consumed and/or change, but at measurable rates, far less than what you'd see under “traditional” husbandry regimens involving water changes, additives, etc.

It all sounds very weird- very regimented, right? Sounds like some of those other "systems" we've loved to read and ridicule over the years, right? Well, it is different than what we are used to. But on the other hand- it’s not THAT different from what we’re trying to achieve with all of the husbandry elements we’ve been doing for the past three decades of reef keeping: Attempting to achieve environmental stability for our animals, high water quality, and maintenance regimens that make OUR lives easier, too. It’s merely a “deconstructed”- or should I say- “reconstructed” -way to achieve the goals we’ve all been striking for using more “traditional” techniques. The results we have seen have been stunning.

dsc4889k.jpg

One of Ehsan's reefs. Easily replicated through his methods?

It’s predicated upon removing as many variables as possible. Actually, by making reef keeping LESS complicated.

There are obviously more subtleties, more questions, more to learn. We are embracing this technique in our own systems, both for growing corals, and in several display tanks in our facilities. Our corals can speak for themselves, and our display tanks, which are just getting underway, will serve as further testbeds. We believe that this concept makes a lot of sense, and that the stunning results we’ve seen in Europe can readily be replicated here. It’s not THE way to be successful…it’s A way to be successful. Joe and I are traveling to Germany next week to see the results in person. We will have a lot more to report in the coming months.

Lufthansa_A380_D-AIMA-1.jpg

We're going to Germany to see for ourselves.

And yes, soon we will be making Triton's tests and other products available in the U.S. for hobbyists to work with. We really believe in this stuff. It starts by grasping the concepts, doing some water testing, and evolves from there. A big part of it will be getting a grasp on what it's all about..freeing your mind from what you know to be “the way” as it stands. There will be a learning curve, controversy, debate, and people who want to “modify” or “ad lib” the system, employing “fusions” of methodologies…which may or may not vary the results you'll see being accomplished by others- and make things complicated- something that this method tries NOT to do. So we aren’t going to deviate from the methods that work so well for many in Europe. We're going to walk the walk.

We believe that the best reef keepers are informed ones, empowered by factual information, not trends - and that Triton can be a major step forward for many reefers- an evolution, not a fad. We are excited about the idea, not just because it’s another thing to sell. It’s because it’s a mindset- a methodology that is in line with our values of “conscientious, sustainable, responsible.” Surprisingly simple, undeniably elegant, and utterly outside of our hobby “comfort zone.” Unlike many who have proffered the concept of “easy! No water changes, etc. etc.!” in the past, this methodology is grounded in fact, and has proven itself out in practice.

This is just the start...We look forward to sharing and discussing more about this in the coming months.

The future is here. We figure that we just need to run with it.

Stay empowered. Stay skeptical. Stay engaged.

and..

Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most entrenched rules in reef keeping.. Those of us who don't need to water change to remove nutrient build-up, but solely to replace some unknown, cryptic list of trace elements are ready for a different solution.

dss190

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, can't wait to learn more about this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By knowing exactly what is deficient or excessive in your water chemistry, adjusting becomes a simple matter of adding or removing the trace elements in question

Can you explain how the removal of excessive trace elements is accomplished, if not by water change?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most entrenched rules in reef keeping.. Those of us who don't need to water change to remove nutrient build-up, but solely to replace some unknown, cryptic list of trace elements are ready for a different solution.

It was really, really, REALLY hard for me to grasp this concept...But when you talk to someone like Ehsan with an analytical chemistry background (and a very skilled reef "practitioner'), it makes great sense. The logic is sound. You are still removing the nuritents and metabolites through proven, easily accomplished means. It's the trace element component that is part of the paradigm shift. And when I think about it, all of these years we've just been kind of "spitballing" in terms of replenishment of trace elements- which growing corals do use in significant amounts- and just sort of taking the "shotgun approach" to try to hit on many targets blindly..Now, with emphasis on analysis, eliminating variables, and focusing on specifics, we can achieve what we've been trying to do for years.

There will be a lot of detractors, naysayers, and "tweakers", who want to modify, or use part of the approach. This will be an interesting time. Skepticism and questioning- that's part of it all- but I think the theory is very valid. How well people do with it in practice will be the real tale of the tape.

Ohh, an added plus: Triton has water chemistry data from specific reef locales all over the world, meaning that it will be perfectly possible to replicate the water chemistry of these regions chemically, creating amazing options for biotopic representation! Another thought: If we know exactly where our corals are coming from- and the mariculture facility we obtain many of our corals from uses Triton water analysis (he does!), and he shares that with the retailer (us), who provides the same conditions, and the retailer provides his customers with the parameters (we will)...well, imagine how much more successful outcomes can be with maricultured, wild, and of course, captive-propagated corals can be...Less variables for the corals to adapt to on the chain of custody to you, the hobbyist.

It's cool..and the mind boggles. Great time to be a hobbyist...provided we can keep corals legally in the trade!

-Scott

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, have fun in Deutschland!

Does this mean you'll eventually have HPLC (High Precision Liquid Chromatography) and ICP-OES (Inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectroscopy) testing performed in-house?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By knowing exactly what is deficient or excessive in your water chemistry, adjusting becomes a simple matter of adding or removing the trace elements in question

Can you explain how the removal of excessive trace elements is accomplished, if not by water change?

Hey Randy- That's exactly what we are learning about...That's where my questions lie, and we hope to get more detailed answers. Initially, water changes were suggested, or even , of course, NOT changing water, in the hopes that some may be metabolized, others may be removed physically with water changes...And then the addition of what Ehsan calls a "trace base" to "set" parameters... You are actually the very guy we want to discuss this with in greater detail!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Randy- That's exactly what we are learning about...That's where my questions lie, and we hope to get more detailed answers. Initially, water changes were suggested, or even , of course, NOT changing water, in the hopes that some may be metabolized, others may be removed physically with water changes...And then the addition of what Ehsan calls a "trace base" to "set" parameters... You are actually the very guy we want to discuss this with in greater detail! So much to learn!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, have fun in Deutschland!

Does this mean you'll eventually have HPLC (High Precision Liquid Chromatography) and ICP-OES (Inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectroscopy) testing performed in-house?

Not in house, but we will be forwarding the samples to Triton for testing, and customers will receive a detailed analysis on line. The testing equipment requires a properly trained staff with training on the methodology and test protocols, and we are definitely NOT!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in house, but we will be forwarding the samples to Triton for testing, and customers will receive a detailed analysis on line. The testing equipment requires a properly trained staff with training on the methodology and test protocols, and we are definitely NOT!
Gotcha, I was leaning over a shoulder or two at MACNA listening to Ehsan talk about the testing... the device alone looked pretty overwhelming for us veteran titration testers ;)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Scott. :)

You're quite welcome! I would love to send you a test vial to sample your system, and maybe get your feedback of the results, etc...Your input as both a scientist AND respected member of the reefing community would be great! It's a new thought process here, and we certainly need to give it a good evaluation from people like yourself with the right background and good objectivity! With any system, there are shortfalls, misunderstandings, and room for improvements. Feedback is absolutely essential to give this a fair evaluation!

Thanks for stopping by!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may I ask how much a water testing costs?

We are still finalizing pricing, and should have that very soon. I think in the $35-$45 range per test. The good news is that you will supposedly only need to test every couple of months once the parameters are set. The idea is not to create "chronic" customers- it's to provide information for you to make good husbandry decisions long and short term. There will be a lot of work to do to get our heads around this stuff, but we believe that it will pay off with more informed reefers, who perhaps will take more than a casual interest in the chemistry of their systems. I just hope that this concept becomes viewed as another possible route to success- not just the creator of a closed-minded, elitist, and vaguely informed group of people with a cult-like demeanor, perpetuating misinformation about areas they know little about. WE certainly don't want to be "those people"- nor do we intend to foster that. We all need to get a grasp on just why this works, and how best to apply it to our reef keeping. It's never a bad thing to introduce learn about, and apply new techniques/philosophies in reef keeping- as long as this is tempered with objectivity, open-mindedness, and the spirit of truth.

Exciting times...

-Scott

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading about this for a while from the German websites, mostly, as well as the DSR (Dutch Synthetic Reef) system which has similarities, just to keep up with interesting trends. I can see these methods working well for large systems, especially, where the cost of water changes alone can be substantial.

NSW around the globe is fairly consistent for most open ocean waters in it's salinity and trace element content, so I can see the logic behind using a particular standard, likely averaged from available data.

I think many aquarists would at least be curious to know how much their water's element content diverges from a NSW standard, especially those that have systems successfully running for many years or even decades.

Ralph.

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you deal with salinity changes (what the skimmer pulls out, acclimating fish, etc)? I guess the idea is that if you stick with a brand of salt, every time you dial in your salinity, it will return to the base "tested" system...is this line of thinking correct?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading about this for a while from the German websites, mostly, as well as the DSR (Dutch Synthetic Reef) system which has similarities, just to keep up with interesting trends. I can see these methods working well for large systems, especially, where the cost of water changes alone can be substantial.

NSW around the globe is fairly consistent for most open ocean waters in it's salinity and trace element content, so I can see the logic behind using a particular standard, likely averaged from available data.

I think many aquarists would at least be curious to know how much their water's element content diverges from a NSW standard, especially those that have systems successfully running for many years or even decades.

Ralph.

Great points, and all very interesting...

I think the other thing that we must (admittedly) submit to is that, no matter how good we get at replicating some aspects of a wild reef, we're still talking about an acrylic or glass box filled with synthetic seawater, large amounts of corals, and other conditions that may vary wildly from natural reef parameters...Still, it's fun and interesting to try to replicate nature and give it our best shot...As system like Triton can- at least in theory- make this easier to do on the H20 chemistry front!

-Scott

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
very cool stuff. i am all about it really the simpler the better as far as i am concerned.

so the old adage, don't add what you can't test for rings true as ever only now they can actually test for the traces!

definitely has my attention. would be very interested in seeing how my water measures up.

rip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this system of measurement for water composition is long over due.Now if we could perform all these test on a android phone hahahah

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back