Not sure what to make of this...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are truly in the ESA ( endangered species act ) list, I have no problem with them getting banned immediately. Why the heck would the government keep allowing the farming of any endangered species!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are truly in the ESA ( endangered species act ) list, I have no problem with them getting banned immediately. Why the heck would the government keep allowing the farming of any endangered species!

I have no objection to the ban, either...As long as there is no genus-level ban on all Acropora, for example. It is interesting to see how quickly they moved on this. Out of the 20 species listed, only about 5-6 are actually in the trade.

Good, protective legislation is great. It's the possible implications for crating "blanket" bans that would concern me.

-Scott

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are not endangered, they are "threatened". Its a totally different classification that it appears even USFWS employees are having a hard time understanding. Implications of ESA's New CORAL Listing for the Marine Aquarium Trade

I heard from an importer who was had some trouble a few weeks ago with the USFWS. They told him to send back his entire Bali aquaculture shipment, just because it contained Acropora lokani and Euphyllia paradivisa. He laughed at them and told them the law has a 30 day grace period, and it does not affect imports at this time. The agents huddled in the back and made some phone calls... they cleared his shipment and said nothing more!

jedimaster1138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a complete disaster now of biblical proportion thanks to the Federal Government's left hand and right hand not knowing what the other is doing. ugh ugh ugh

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..And now we hear that it's apparently a mistake that the local USFW official made in "enforcing" the "ban."

Yikes, wish there would be more good information on exactly what's going on...

Thanks to Ret Talbot for all the news that there is on the subject!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Branching frogspawns are on the list? I thought they were common?
They seem to be relatively common in the hobby atleast.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we should call it the ACA (affordable coral act) if the Gov is at game with it!
Still no matter how you look to it, it scared a bunch the living daylight out of it.
Just wonder..................... what's next??

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically they don't know how to identify the corals in order to distinguish what is legal and what is not?

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This too makes things ugly...

They are not endangered, they are "threatened". Its a totally different classification that it appears even USFWS employees are having a hard time understanding. Implications of ESA's New CORAL Listing for the Marine Aquarium Trade

I heard from an importer who was had some trouble a few weeks ago with the USFWS. They told him to send back his entire Bali aquaculture shipment, just because it contained Acropora lokani and Euphyllia paradivisa. He laughed at them and told them the law has a 30 day grace period, and it does not affect imports at this time. The agents huddled in the back and made some phone calls... they cleared his shipment and said nothing more!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back