The "death of words?" Or the beginning of empowerment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, oh- Fellman is ranting irrationally again! Time to pile on him!

Well, it had to happen eventually…

It’s been pointed out that consumers on websites apparently are more interested in just looking at pictures to make their coral purchasing decisions than they are in reading descriptions about what they are purchasing. It’s kind of sad, actually…I think this got pounded home recently when we launched our very well-received UC mobile application. People loved the easy interface and “appreciated” the limited text…

Okay, good and bad. But being told that consumers don’t want to read descriptions of products made me kind of…I dunno…nostalgic? Or maybe just grumpy.

Yup. Grumpy.

Wow, the “twitterization” of e-commerce appears to be complete. Apparently, in a mere decade, our culture has evolved to the point where we are only capable of absorbing a maximum of 140 characters about anything. Somehow, the human race has gotten so busy that we are no longer able to carve out a niche of time, even for stuff that we love, like our hobbies, to be able to take the time to read descriptions of something that we buy.

We’re so busy, and time is so limited, that we can’t even listen to voice mail. Ever had this scenario?: You call someone on their cell phone number. You get their voicemail and leave a brief message about what it was you needed to convey to them. Seconds later, you receive a phone call from the person you just left a message for…And you ask them if they received your message…the answer is “No- I saw the number and redialed…”

Really? We can’t even listen to voicemail messages? Wow.

Somehow, we’ve all gotten ourselves into a big hurry and have apparently added so much to our daily lives that even basic, time-honored communications functions are just too time consuming.

Some things are pretty cool, I will give you that. In years past, we had catalogues. Now we have websites. We used to have Yellow Pages ads, and now we have QR codes. Social media has allowed anyone with a web-enabled device to let their opinion and presence be known to anyone who will listen. We can all pontificate about stuff like which colored M & M is better, or wether an “ULNS” approach is more logical than a “natural system”, or any number of a myriad of topics. It’s an age of empowerment. Consumers can let marketers know instantly if their product is a piece of garbage, or how it’s changed their life forever. Awesome.

But the sad thing is that, despite active hobby discussion boards worldwide, with threads about every arcane reef keeping topic imaginable, “new marketing” experts tell us that providing information about a product you offer on your website in any form other than brief bullet points constitutes “clutter”, and is viewed as “fluff.”

Woah, that sorta sucks. Or does it?

IMG_2816.jpg

It's green..What more do you need to know?

I’ll give you that some product descriptions for stuff like corals can be, well, superfluous. I mean, if you see a green Millie in the picture, you don’t need us to tell you it’s a green Millie, or that it’s pretty cool. But you probably DO like to see the “bullet points” about its care. I mean, restating the obvious IS a waste of time. I get it. My problem- I like words. I like enthusiasm and emotion that can be generated by reading words. Somehow, bullet points or other dryly expository stuff doesn’t do it for me. Well, far be it from me to stand in the way of progress. If copy is superfluous, I’ll evolve with the times. I’ll whine a bit, though.

And again, I’ve read some of our descriptions on corals off the website. Some of them are awesome, if I say so myself, delivered in the best “J Crew Catalog” style. Others are just, well…dopey. We have phrases like “really stands out in a mixed collection” or “will be a focal point on your reef!” Arrgh.

Remind me of “Gets your teeth their whitest!” or “Saves you time and money!”

Ughhh.

Unknown.jpeg

Trust me. Really. I'm a coral vendor.

Okay, so I get it. For all but the most unusual stuff, we’re going to gradually stop romanticizing our corals. I mean, it is kind of hard to find new ways to describe the virtues of a Green Discosoma or a Toadstool Mushroom. I guess the problem for me is that I love the power of words, the interest or enthusiasm you can convey. If you called me up and asked me about how cool that $12.00 Mushroom is, I’d still probably give you a 3,000 word dissertation on why it would be perfect for your aquascape, and how amazing the texture is.

Far be it from me to resist change for the better!

So I guess the point is- if you want to hear just how nice that Anthellia frag you see on our website would fit into your reef, and how it’s one of the coolest corals around, just call me. Of course, if you miss me and I call you back and you don’t pick up, I won't leave a message, or should I?

iphone6concept4.jpg

Why even use voicemail?

I actually should rejoice, right? Because today’s consumer is better, smarter, more educated about what they purchase, having taken the time to research BEFORE they make a buying decision. Or so they say.

But I’ll give you that today’s empowered consumer is really smart. Absolutely. And that is a good thing!

I just have a problem with the fact that, according to “new marketing experts”, today’s consumers no longer like the romance of product descriptions. They see it as “fluff” or “smoke and mirrors”, being too sophisticated to be charmed by the virtues of say, a description of a 2” pulsing Xenia frag. They just like pics. And maybe, just maybe, a bullet point or two.

Ok, sure.

Why am I being grumpy about this? I dunno…I’m waxing philosophical about stuff like marketing and communications with customers, and I obviously want to create an environment that creates the best possible experience. And apparently, the best possible experience is created by providing as little to digest as possible. In the decades since I earned my marketing degree, it seems as though much of what I learned back in those days was proven to be not only wrong, but actually counter-productive in today’s society.

I get it…sort of. I mean, now days, it makes more sense to talk WITH consumers than AT them, as we were taught for generations in business school. A conversation is a two-way deal, not the marketer simply delivering a message…The forging of relationships is a more solid way to create lasting customers. I have no problem with that, and I think I personally have gotten quite good at it.

images.jpeg

We ARE better off talking WITH each other.

Of course, I will take heat from readers now and then about me “getting up on my soapbox” and “preaching” about stuff in my blogs, and come across as arrogant, small-minded, or OMIGOD- occasionally biased about MY OWN company, talking about some of the good things we do. Yikes- mustn’t do THAT in MY OWN forum that I pay for, right?

Well, you can’t teach an old dog EVERY new trick, right?

Unknown-1.jpeg

New trick. Old dog?

So, seriously, we’re going to evolve with the times; give you the information you need to make an educated purchase decision-but not as much hyperbole. Gone will be many of the goofy descriptions we used to have. I'm resigned to accept this as progress. I'm just sore about it, LOL. I am resigned to accept, as one of my old school fellow Twitter/Instagram haters tells me, “Yeah, all the information today’s consumer really needs is a picture, anyways….”

Man, I just felt like vomiting while changing with the times. But hey, I’m over it now. I even understand how our Apex system works.

Craziness.

We’ll continue to have some quaint “J Crew”-like product descriptions where warranted for some of the cool WYSIWYG stuff, but you probably won’t see as much “fluff” for every two-polyp green zoa frag on our site. I mean, you probably know it’s green, has two polyps, and is a Zoanthid. A pic and some bullet points will suffice, right?

Oh man, I’ve just validated Instagram…”Tweet” that! #fellmansoldouttothefuture.

Is this the death of words in marketing? Or the beginning of empowerment?

I could philosophize on that, but it would take more than 140 characters. Just give me a call.

But don’t leave a voicemail, because I won’t listen to it before I redial.

That’s 1,438 words to tell you that we’re going to use less words in our coral descriptions. Super efficient.

Tweet THAT!

Until next time,

Embrace change, think objectively…

And stay wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
enjoyed your write up as always :) the times they really are a 'changing - I'm with you - I'm not convinced it's for the better but it is what it is.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how many people will make the time to read all this ;)

I must admit that I have had a good chuckle a few times at some of your more enthusiastic descriptions :)

VIPReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, oh- Fellman is ranting irrationally again! Time to pile on him!

Well, it had to happen eventually…

It’s been pointed out that consumers on websites apparently are m

Sorry my 140 character limit has been reached :neutral:

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally enjoy having words, more to read about the possible purchase the better. I unfortunately have a very hard time buying online. Being a very textile type of person, I need to see it , touch it, taste it if need be. Not wanting to "go there", but I find it hard to trust just some pictures.. I want the history and all the info on the coral I'm purchasing

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick word to the people who don't like all those irritating words constantly being in the way! There's actually a small "wheel" on your computers mouse designed to allow you to "scroll" up or down the page. Doing so allows you to overlook certain details such as those pesky words :)
You can also click the up or down arrows on the scroll bar on the side of the screen to do the same thing. Believe it or not, but there's also a third way! Ever wonder what PgUp and PgDn mean? Yep, you guessed it, page up and page down respectively.
Is it just me, or did that little bit of information just solve our issue? :p
But in all seriousness, I don't understand why the people who don't want to read don't just skip the writing and look at the photos to start with. I don't buy livestock online, but I do buy hardware on eBay. If an item doesn't have a good description with all the relevant info in it, I won't buy it. Simple as that. Pictures say 1000 words, but they won't tell you were to place a coral, what lighting it likes, what flow it likes, it's temperament and important information like that. Sure you can play the guessing game and try it in different spots around the tank, but isn't having a guide to how it may work better than trial and error? Especially when trial and error can save the pieces life.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can play the guessing game and try it in different spots around the tank, but isn't having a guide to how it may work better than trial and error? Especially when trial and error can save the pieces life.

That should read "Especially when trial and error can risk the pieces life". Lol my bad :)

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do have a point. However I do like to see the scientific names though. :) Especially now with the can of worms I won't open.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why a picture is worth a thousand words, we all can agree on that.

And I always listen to your voicemail, I can find out on your voice if it's worth for me to call back, LOL

No kidding, don't see a rant here, more like words are money :blah:

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to know everything about the coral I'm looking at that I can. And I love reading everything you write! So, please don't stop!

jedimaster1138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the calls for you to continue to fill the product pages with as much textual information as possible. I love it. In fact I'd request more. More about placement, lighting requirements, flow requirements, different experiences with the particular coral reacting under differing conditions, especially in your facility as opposed to just other hobbyist experiences, but that works too.

Also more pictures... is it a stock frag of something or other? Great...got one of your colony? We'd all love to see that too.

Text + pictures = win. One or the other...that's skimmate.

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I would love with coral, even if a link to a generic section is how the coral was cared for by the vendor. Was it being target fed (what?). What kind of lights, how much light, etc etc... That is good stuff to me. The goal is to get it home and have it looks as good there as it does at the coral farm/store/wholesaler/LFS. Right??!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see more comprehensive info too. Instead of "low-medium light" maybe a basic par reading. Instead of "high flow" maybe a general idea of what it's being kept in, for instance "we're keeping it just off centre from X brand powerhead, X inches away. The pump which is running on X setting at X %."
I don't even know what "medium-high flow" actually means.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see more comprehensive info too. Instead of "low-medium light" maybe a basic par reading. Instead of "high flow" maybe a general idea of what it's being kept in, for instance "we're keeping it just off centre from X brand powerhead, X inches away. The pump which is running on X setting at X %."
I don't even know what "medium-high flow" actually means.

Excellent input by all! I think that there is a fine line between too much and not enough! That being said, the information that we offer in the "bullet points" could probably be even more refined, I suppose. I think having PAR numbers could be cool. Ultimately, we might even simply give our raceways's stats from our Triton Test, so that, if a reefer wanted to mimic the chemical conditions under which the coral he/she is purchasing was kept, they'd be right there- at least for that series of factors. And it could never hurt to give actual PAR numbers at some point, as well. Interesting...

We will definitely keep refining stuff to make your buying experience more informative and enjoyable- and it starts with your awesome feedback! Thanks!

OK it's like 6AM local time in Dusseldorf (9PM in L.A.) and I'm all kinds of screwed up- headed for the airport in an hour to go home...My head is somewhat twisted with the time thing (it's been a 4 day European trip- woah)..I will maybe right some more during the 18 hour travel day (incl stops) ahead!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back