What you can tell about a reefer without even talking to him/her. Danger- sterotypes ahead!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Simon Garratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott..

You forgot one category of reefkeeper....

"I'm gonna draw it on a beermat under a drunken stupor at a conference and then build it just because everybody says it cant be done"....

:)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott..

You forgot one category of reefkeeper....

"I'm gonna draw it on a beermat under a drunken stupor at a conference and then build it just because everybody says it cant be done"....

:)
Hmm..Who would that be? Perhaps a brilliant UK-based reefer who is part mad scientist, part artist, and 100% hardcore, maybe? Yup! I know that guy? "You can't do that..it's not possible!" "Prove it."

People who push the state of the art of the reef aquarium hobby, simply because they enjoy it.

Thank goodness you fall into THAT stereotype!

Thanks, Sy- Good to have you here!

Guys, we're honoured (spelled it the correct way for you, mate) to have THE prototypical DIY, "Don't-tell-me-it-cannot-be-done-because-I'll-prove-otherwise" reefer, Simon Garratt, in the house!

Hats off to you.

Simon Garratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, Its a pleasure to be here Scott...but as I keep telling you, i'm no scientist... Mad, yes, without a doubt, Scientist no...

Maybe we need to do joint presentation sometime..

REEFKEEPING CRAZYNESS..... The dangers of letting your imagination (and mouth) rule your reefkeeping actions...

Keep up the ramblings buddy...I'm absolutely loving your input to the wider community these days...

Ladies and gents...Ignore this man at your peril...

Kind regards

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, Its a pleasure to be here Scott...but as I keep telling you, i'm no scientist... Mad, yes, without a doubt, Scientist no...

Maybe we need to do joint presentation sometime..

REEFKEEPING CRAZYNESS..... The dangers of letting your imagination (and mouth) rule your reefkeeping actions...

Keep up the ramblings buddy...I'm absolutely loving your input to the wider community these days...

Ladies and gents...Ignore this man at your peril...

Kind regards

I think we'd have a blast doing some talks together..I certainly have the part down about using my mouth, as my readers can attest, LOL!

-Scott

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lordy... I have several of these traits....

1. Frag racker... yea, I have two magnetic racks and one suction cup tree style rack in my tank
2. Fish Namer... Larry (female clownfish), Larry's mate, Stripe, Spike, butthead, Heuy, Dewey (we lost Louie), Blue etc...
3. Gadget lover.. I want them all but cannot afford many.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm..Who would that be? Perhaps a brilliant UK-based reefer who is part mad scientist, part artist, and 100% hardcore, maybe? Yup! I know that guy? "You can't do that..it's not possible!" "Prove it."

People who push the state of the art of the reef aquarium hobby, simply because they enjoy it.

Thank goodness you fall into THAT stereotype!

Thanks, Sy- Good to have you here!

Guys, we're honoured (spelled it the correct way for you, mate) to have THE prototypical DIY, "Don't-tell-me-it-cannot-be-done-because-I'll-prove-otherwise" reefer, Simon Garratt, in the house!

Hats off to you.

Very exited to have you as a member Simon!

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice list but I think you forgot one, the one I fit in but wouldn't know how to describe us
Maybe the "been there done that group"
You know the type, the ones that have been around so long that the latest new thing is a simple revise of something we tried years ago.
Been through the acan, zoa, blasto, chalice, sps, crazes and seen them all return again
Been through the whole vho, mh, t5, led controversy and tried them all
Been through the bb, dsb, ssb methods, tried them all and then go back to what works for them
Been through the to change water, not to change, frequent small change, and back to a simple weekly change regiment
Seen reefers come and go and then some come back again
Buy some cool new piece of equipment but then decide they can DIY it better
Had several different tanks, many different scapes, themes, and biotopes
A couple fish, a few fish, a whole lot of fish, a red fish, a blue fish
A bit arrogant yet humbled occasionally but an equipment failure or act of nature beyond their control

And at the end of the day, they drink a beer, watch their tank, and realize how lucky they are to live in this era of reefing, when corals, equipment, knowledge and advice are but a keystroke away.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can write an entire piece on the acronyms we throw around...Love the "bb, sub,dub, vho, etc...LOL

And plus one for the Dr. Seuss reference!

-Scott

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread Scott! I love it when people take time to step back and have a laugh at some of the stupid, yet totally awesome things we do!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread Scott! I love it when people take time to step back and have a laugh at some of the stupid, yet totally awesome things we do!

Yeah, as you might imagine, it's easy to spend a lot of time laughing in this hobby...:tongue:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely correct when it comes to naming our pets. They are then considered family and are taken care of with a high degree of responsibility.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spock thanks you for the honorable mention, but Crown Royal feels left out.

purple-tang.jpg

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot those reefers that are hoarders!
You know the type..that prowl the forums and craigslist looking for someone that is tearing down a tank, clearing out a garage of unused reef equipment, upgrading and selling their unneeded lights, pumps, stands, liverock, sand, anything really reef related. And buy buy buy it just because they might be able to 'use it' when and if they upgrade their own display tank, while also buying up livestock and coral whether or not they have the room for it.
These ppl end up with a spare bedroom or walk-in closet in their tiny apartment full of stuff.
Don't shun these ppl and their rabid collecting habits, for they may have that one piece of equipment you may need in an emergency one day and become your savior of last minute late night after hours tank maintenance.

Yeah....I'm describing myself HAHA

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always enjoy your write-ups as well Scott. They are good for information, points of view, gets the thinking going, and also good for a laugh. I did want to mention I don't think we have anything to fear from offending amish reefers - my guess is that is probably a very small number :)

I was trying to figure out where I fell on the types but I think I kind of fall into a "critter" keeper. I love inverts and other unusual inhabitants along with my fish. Not sure that category was in the list.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another type of reefer :)
Those that would prefer to collect their own rather than buy it. Similar to the DIY reefer, but on a whole different level. These guys are crazy for their fish and go hand in hand with those who name their fish. Usually they would think something like "buy a clean up crew? No thanks!" And go out looking for their own snails and shrimp. They would usually have excessive amounts of nets, buckets and air pumps laying around the garage. They're best friends (and quite often themselves) have probably been fishing since they were toddlers.
They usually have "rare" livestock not found in the hobby and a great knowledge of local fish and other marine life. They're not happy just going to any old beach because they know that if they can hike the extra 5km, go around two more headlands and down a step incline, there's a small patch of heaven only a small handful of locals know exist.
Typically they would have multiple tanks running and are always planning a future upgrade for that bigger fish they saw on the weekend.
Be kind to these people because they typically will collect excessive amounts of any livestock they can, they may be in a hurry to give away a cool fish or shrimp here and there.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think that we are all a bit crazy, but that's just my opinion! LOL

-Scott

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think that we are all a bit crazy, but that's just my opinion! LOL

-Scott

Obviously!
It is crazy how much time and money I spend on this addicti....I mean this hobby.
That said I have not taken out a second mortgage to get that hot new designer clown or 1/2" jawdropper so I must not be too crazy.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously!
It is crazy how much time and money I spend on this addicti....I mean this hobby.
That said I have not taken out a second mortgage to get that hot new designer clown or 1/2" jawdropper so I must not be too crazy.

Oh..you're crazy, my friend...Just give it a little more time..:neutral:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back