What you can tell about a reefer without even talking to him/her. Danger- sterotypes ahead!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Doctor is in…

Yeah, so what if I have no formal psychological training, and am grumpy, presumptuous, and often way off in my assessments of stuff…Fact is, I AM a keen observer of the reef keeping world, and with my dual powers of assumption and opinion, I can make uncannily accurate anecdotal observations and defend them vehemently, regardless of any obvious inaccuracy presented…Hey, I think I’m describing a large chunk of the reef keeping population to a ’T”, but, at the end of the day, that’s what I am- an opinionated reefer with a Grande Soy Vanilla Latte, a forum, some dedicated readers, an internet connection, and a MacBook…Yikes. This has trouble written all over it.

Whatever.

Today, ladies and gentlemen, I offer my head on the chopping block yet again, as I present to you a very brief synopsis of some of the aforementioned anecdotal conclusions that I’ve made after years of being immersed in the reef keeping world. Of course, there are my opinions, and for those of you who are offended by the rather broad strokes I’m painting, you can certainly feel free to add to this “open source” summary- in fact, I insist on it.

Todays topic: “What you can tell about a reefer without talking to him/her.”

Seriously, over the years, I’ve made enough observations of reefers to make some general conclusions about them without even having to talk to them! And let’s be honest- so have you, but tact and decorum have prohibited you from summarizing your observations. I, on the other hand, have no need to adhere to such stringent social restrictions- I’ll speak my mind here and duck the incoming pot shots. I’m collating and perpetuating stereotypes- a cultural no-no! But it’s kind of fun…and true in many cases. If you care to join in, I’ve got your back..Here are just a few of the hundreds of observations and stereotypes I have examined to date:

dallas-macna-2013-6.jpg

With this many reefers around, there are going to be some stereotypes for sure!

Reefers with frag racks in their tanks: These guys are just chronic collectors…They can’t get enough of new corals, and, unfortunately, they don’t have enough space on their reef structure for more frags. So, taking a page from urban planners in crowded cities, they go vertical. Generally adaptable, “can-do” kinds of people who want what they want- when they want it.

Reefers with large clam collections: These people would seriously put them on a leash and take them to the mall if they could. They see clams in an almost anthropomorphic” manner, ascribing “personality” traits to them. As much as we’d like to classify clam lovers as “crazy cat ladies” and such, we all feel this way about clams, and have to admit that we see a lot of ourselves in them…

“High end” zoa/paly collectors: Reefers who love to name drop. Really, they’re experts on these things. An expert can be described as someone who knows more and more about less and less- highly focused. I mean, when you talk to a “Z&P” person, they know every name, every morph, and everything happening in the world of these corals. On the surface, you’d be tempted to just call them a bunch of name dropping, clique-ish joiners, but they are way more than that. Make friends with these people, because they are the ones who will help you settle that bet with your buddies about wether or not you have the real “Kleptomanias” and not the dreaded “Amnesias” instead.

Reefers who name their fish: Okay, these are people like me, who couldn't have dogs and cats growing up because they were allergic, so they grow fond of their fishes and treat them like true pets! What’s wrong with that? Oh sure, the hardcore pseudo-scientist reefer would say that “Sparky” is just a terminal phase male Anapses femininus, but they don’t understand all of the subtle nuances of his behavior. I submit that people who name their fishes are more keen observers of their charges. They expect these animals to live natural life spans in their tanks, and will do everything possible to enable that. How can we argue with that kind of effort, right?

naso.jpg

If you are a fan of Melev's Reef, you already know "Spock."

Super gadget-loving reefers: You know the type. Every club has one- the guy that knows how to plumb, wire and program every new gadget that comes down the line. He/she is that rare combination of DIY-er, self-starter, survivalist, and joiner. We NEED these people to tell us how to program dosing pumps, conceive exotic overflow mods, and push and prod us into embracing automation. He or she has had more than one tank crash, at least one homeowner’s insurance claim, and a healthy balance on his/her Home Depot credit card, but this is the person you go to for cool stuff. And the best thing about these engineering Pied Piers is that they LOVE to help fellow reefers with stuff. Partially because they are maxed out on their credit cards, and can’t get more gadgets themselves, and partially because they love to share. Good stuff.

P1040624.jpg

"Trust me- you're gonna love this thing..."

Acropora lovers: These folks are the “constant gardeners” of the reef keeping world. They will explore every angle, learn every methodology, examine every product, try any device that will help them create the ultimate collection of “fuzzy sticks.” Obsessive to the point of being near fanatics, Acro lovers occupy that rare niche in the reef keeping world as the “alpha dogs” of the hobby. They have their own language, ritual, technique, and code of ethics. You can put two Acro lovers from different parts of the world together, and within minutes, they will find common ground, probably waxing philosophical about arcane topics like which frag glue is best, or the merits of ULNS versus the “Balling Method”, or what species the “Purple Monster” really is. These are the hardest of the hardcore reefers, many of whom have spent countless amounts of time, money, and risk in pursuit of the ultimate reef tank.

FTS_LG2.jpg

Mark Poletti is dyed-in-the-wool-Acro fan, and it shows.

Nano reefers: People who may have started with tiny tanks out of practical necessity, and then came to realize that playing with tiny tanks is engaging, challenging, and pretty cool. In short, highly curious, generally meticulous, and very dedicated reefers. “Macro reefers” would be so content to just write them off as kooks who just like to make something challenging even more difficult- but these people are so much more than that. While learning the secrets of making their little “slices of the bottom” work, they’ve stumbled on one truism in the reef keeping world that we all must respect: If you can maintain a successful nano tank, you’ll easily be able to handle a much larger aquarium. And, content in their little world, nano reefers are the rugged individualists, the innovators, the nerdy “Steve Jobs-esque” outlaws, who pioneer new ideas just because they enjoy it- not for some recognition or the hope of greater glory heaped upon them by the reefing world. Whew, “cool” is just one word that comes to mind to describe them…

rightside.jpg

"Uhuru" is one of the great nano-innovators of our time, and the proof is in the pics.

Coral vendors: Ok, I can vouch for this one. We’re crazy reefers who managed to justify our hobby obsession by creating a business out of it. Risk-taking, quick thinking entrepreneurs who, as one expression goes, seek to “make a small fortune while spending a large one” doing what they love. Cautious, often calculating, and sometimes just a bit whacky, we are one part crack dealer, one part life coach, and one part reef buddy…It’s a strange combo that somehow works. Hey, at the end of the day, we get to play with corals and actually file a tax return that confirms that this is what we do for a living. Not a bad thing, if we use our position in the reef world for good. Okay, whatever.

Seahorse fanatics: Kind of different. ‘Nuff said.

Marine fish breeders: People that deserve our respect and gratitude. Most tirelessly undertake exotic breeding projects costing them a lot of money, spending a lot of time, and creating some water damage in their homes, selflessly trying to unlock the secrets of this challenging new frontier. They deserve way more credit than we occasionally give them, and are certainly more than just fish geeks with lots of small tanks in their basements. They are on the bleeding edge of innovation, and their tireless work may very well offer the key to the future of the marine aquarium hobby. Support these people- they really deserve it. Okay, they are a little bit geeky, however…

General observations: We are all geeks. Don’t believe me? Go to a reef conference. It’s basically Comic-Con without the costumes. Yeah, we are geeks. But cool ones.

Really cool ones.

That’s a stereotype worth perpetuating.

I’m sure you have some of your own observations…Let’s hear ‘em.

Until next time…

Stay geeky, stay creative…

And stay wet.

Regards,

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a namer XD I love my little guys. And guess what? I'm not tankless anymore!!

I would like to breed at some point...gotta see what happens.

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, you're not making friends here, as most just can't handle the truth.

You should start selling T-shirts with some of your phrases on there, example "I'm a reefer cause I stick to it" (putting a pic of a acro on the shirt)
or "DieHard reefers have Salt is in their blood"

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything that would be so controversial. Unless, you aren't liked in general. I, for one, enjoy reading your posts. I appreciate the fact that you take the time to share with us your thoughts.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a good chuckle out of this one :)

One catagory you could add that runs opposite to the 'Techie' is the 'Simple/Natural'. The Amish of the reef tank world, the less technology the better. Watch out though, they may just blow you away with what can be accomplished with so little. :)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, you're not making friends here, as most just can't handle the truth.

You should start selling T-shirts with some of your phrases on there, example "I'm a reefer cause I stick to it" (putting a pic of a acro on the shirt)
or "DieHard reefers have Salt is in their blood"

Ohh, I like that..lol

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything that would be so controversial. Unless, you aren't liked in general. I, for one, enjoy reading your posts. I appreciate the fact that you take the time to share with us your thoughts.

Actually, nothing all that controversial, really...Just some people feel that they are the self appointed guardians of moral standards for the reef-keeping world and will blame someone like me for perpetuating some self-styled stereotypes..Ya know...there is always the occasional person who just doesn't "get it.." I call this "proactive blog defensive strategy", lol.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a good chuckle out of this one :)

One catagory you could add that runs opposite to the 'Techie' is the 'Simple/Natural'. The Amish of the reef tank world, the less technology the better. Watch out though, they may just blow you away with what can be accomplished with so little. :)

Agreed- I'm decidedly in the "more biology, less technology" camp for my personal systems, so I can get on that bandwagon for sure!

-Scott

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, dig that Amish term as in old school reefing, just hope we not stepping on toes of some of our Amish reefers.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...not too sure which category I fall into. lol

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed- I'm decidedly in the "more biology, less technology" camp for my personal systems, so I can get on that bandwagon for sure!

-Scott

I think I could actually be the poster child for tanks run like back in the 'good old days'. I just need to grow a proper beard like Jake Adams ;)

Last edited:

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I..... Wantt ...... Everything!

I fall alittle bit into each one I think.

I think this hobby has made myself it's own catagory . Psycotic for coral. Lol

Back