Things your coral vendor would like to tell you...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, it’s been a while since I’ve mouthed off and attempted to foist my limited world view on the reef community, and acted as a wannabe spokesperson on behalf of the greater industry- Maybe 24 hours; something like that…

Whatever.

In dealing with customers in the coral biz, you discover a few truisms about business, the hobby and the culture that surrounds it all. Some of these things are good, some are not so pretty, but most of them are things that sort of fall in to definable patterns. I was chatting with a fellow coral vendor the other day, and our discussion got me thinking ( a dangerous proposition, you know…).

I don’t really act as a spokesperson for the industry, so I’m speaking mainly from my experience, and experiences of some of the other awesome vendors on this forum, who have shared with me their thoughts on stuff from time to time, but I felt there would be some value in letting you know what some vendors think about topics related to the coral business.

I’m calling this “Things that your coral vendor would like to tell you”, and I think the title alone says a lot. Without further intro, let’s delve into some things that the good guys and gals who market corals on line would like you to know (from my point of view, of course…spank me if I’m off base). Just a few to get the topic rolling:

“We really make the effort to take accurate pictures that show the color, shape, and size of the corals that you’ll be purchasing from us.”- There are generally no malevolent intentions among the quality coral vendors out there. Typically, they’re just stoked, honest reefers who turned their passion into career and try to do their best every day. Some people are great photographers, others are not. Look, we understand that it’s important to get an accurate pic of the coral you’re forking out your money for, and everyone wants to see the coral at its best. Sometimes, the photographer may take a lousy pic and attempt to bring back the washed out colors caused by too tight a focus, external sources, etc.- and that’s where trouble happens.

Legitimate coral vendors don’t take liberty with editing. Why? Because it only takes one time to lose a consumer’s confidence. If you receive a coral who's colors vary significantly from what you saw on the vendor’s website, don’t unleash a scorched-earth social media tirade trashing the guy…pick up the phone and ask what happened. Knowing my fellow vendors like I do, I’ll wager that 99% of the time, it was just an honest mistake- a human error- and that they’ll bend over backwards to work out an equitable solution. But you’ll never know if you open the dialogue by lashing out at the vendor in a public forum before giving them an opportunity to make things right. There are scumbags out there, too, who give the industry a bad name. I’ve seen these train wrecks play out on vendor feedback forums before, and it’s not entertaining when an honest guy is getting whacked because an angry customer didin’t try to contact them first.

ColorWheel1.jpg

There is enough color out there without having to enhance it...right?

“Even though we inspect every coral we sell thoroughly before shipping, we highly recommend some sort of prophylactic dipping, inspection, and yes- quarantine procedure after you receive the coral.”- Yeah, believe it or not, even an experienced coral vendor occasionally misses something, and a flatworm, red bug, nudibranch, or other nasty hitchhiker will get through. This is every legitimate coral vendor’s nightmare, believe me. NO ONE in this industry wants to send you a coral with disease or pestilence on it. Nonetheless, stuff gets through on rare occasions. There is a certain responsibility that we as customers need to take for the animals we purchase, as well.

It is absolutely not unreasonable to expect a perfectly healthy animal, but that doesn’t relieve us of the responsibilities of being a conscientious reefer. Inspection, acclimation, and quarantine of EVERY coral, fish, or invert we purchase is the ONLY way to assure that you are adding a healthy animal to your system. The initial responsibility lies with the vendor to sell you a healthy animal-no getting around that. The ultimate responsibility lies with the customer, who needs to exercise basic reef keeping protocols for newly received animals. This is not unreasonable either. Bad analogy- When you buy a car, you can expect a safe, well-engineered vehicle. But it’s not BMW’s responsibility to fasten your seat belts when you drive off. Same for corals.

PICT0004a.jpg

"Can't believe we missed that..."

“We package your order as carefully as possible. Sometimes, circumstances beyond our control conspire to damage the packaging or coral within it.”- Believe it or not, Fed Ex, UPS, and USPS really couldn’t care less that the box says “Live Tropical Fish- Keep Warm” on the side. Oh sure, that may keep them from leaving the package on the porch during the next “Polar Vortex” incident, but that’s about it. To these people, it’s a package, and they handle thousands per day, so to think that occasionally a shipper doesn’t just toss the box containing your coral into a cargo container along with packages of cosmetics, juicing macines, and car parts is fantasy. As much as we’d like to think that our boxes are handled lovingly by skilled personnel at the shippers with lab coats and white gloves, that’s typically not true. Not to say anything negative about the thousands of hardworking people in the shipping industry, but it’s unreasonable to think that our packages are always treated perfectly.

Expect that the box will get beaten up a bit. Expect for a piece of SPS coral to occasionally have branch knocked off. It sucks, and it is no fun, but it happens…And it’s not your vendor’s fault, really. Most make tremendous efforts to pack your stuff as carefully as possible. Nonetheless, things get damaged. Again, if you receive a damaged shipment, take a few minutes to review the situation, acclimate the corals, and call your vendor to discuss. believe it or not, many corals take this “fragging by shipper” thing pretty well, and can recover nicely. You should definitely discuss with your vendor, of course- and many will offer credit or replacement for damaged corals with little hesitation. But please, please- don’t just toss the corals in the trash and call your vendor for replacement. Make the effort- and the call.

330380.jpg

"Handle with care..." Yeah, right.

"We appreciate your phone call when there is a question or a problem, but we can’t always pick up the call on the first try, or even the second. It doesn’t mean we won’t help you.”- I hear about this and read about this all the time. Believe it or not, much as we’d like to believe, most coral vendors are pretty small guys, with one or two employees- or maybe even none. When you call, you’re not gonna get Zappos, with banks of CSR’s in a call center in the midwest, with scripted responses to every question. More likely, you’re going to get the owner of the company, who will apologize for the delay in getting back to you because he’s busy trying to ship out 14 orders. Yeah, you could make the argument that “he should be staffed up properly if he wants my money”, but understand that most of these guys are pretty darned good at what they do, and are doing the best they can to take care of all of their customers.

As you may realize, growing a business is a tough proposition, and it’s hard to find good people, so a lot of smaller vendors do it all themselves as long as they can. Obviously, service should not suffer- not one bit. It’s part of running a business- if you can’t stand the heat, etc. However, please understand that most of these guys are reefers just like you, and will typically bend over backwards to help you- as soon as humanly possible. The key take-aways here- “..reefers just like you” and “…as soon as humanly possible.” Remember, these are fellow reefers. They truly care- at least, the good ones that I know do. It’s a bit different than dealing with your cable company. So please cut some of these people a little slack before you go out and whack ‘em on Twitter and such. #mycoralvendordoesntloveme.

“XYZ Coral Company wouldn’t take take the “Supercalifragalistic Chalice” frag off his website and hold it for me until next week when I get paid. And I’ve ordered from him once before last year..What a jerk.”- Honestly, I’ve heard people tell me this about other vendors, and I cringe. I don't like to do it, either. Let’s be real. Even though the coral biz isn’t like every other business- it’s still a business. You can’t just expect someone who earns their livelihood by selling things to remove items from inventory on your promise that you’re going to buy the coral “next week”, or whenever. You can’t believe how many times he’s probably done this before, only to have the person making the offer disappear on him.

The lifeblood of a sales business is- you guessed it- sales! So, when you ask a vendor to take a piece of coral off of his site to hold it without paying for it, you’re really asking him to hold off earning an income until you’re ready to pay for the coral. The reality is, he’d love to be the nice guy and do that for you, but this isn’t “Its a Wonderful Life”, with George Bailey behind the counter of the Building and Loan (IMBD if you can’t get the reference). It’s a guy who needs to cover his overhead, pay his employees, and earn money to take care of his family. He’s not your personal coral consignment shop. It’s just not reasonable to expect that of any business. Don’t believe me? Try asking most airlines to hold an airfare for you for a week without paying something now days! At the very least, if you want to ask this, make an offer to put down a deposit and see if that is something the vendor would entertain.

bailey1.jpg

"Just pay me when you can..." Yikes.

Oh sure, I can go on and on, and probably sound a bit whiny in the process. This was certainly not the intent of this piece today. Really, what I was trying to do is convey to you the things that concern the people on the other side of the “electronic counter” when you purchase your livestock, and how they think. I’m not speaking for everyone in the industry. I am conveying things that are discussed when fellow vendors sit around at conferences and “talk shop”, as they say.

Most everyone I know in this industry has good intentions, are very nice people, and decent business practices. However, there are definitely slimy, low-down, rotten vendors out there who’s sole purpose is profit without any conscience. Yeah, they exist. Most coral vendors will bend over backwards for their clients, because they are what you and I are- reefers. If there are some solid takeaways from this piece, it’s that you should a)always voice any concerns you have with a vendor, b)offer him or her a reasonable amount of time to respond, c)attempt to work with him or her to resolve your problem before publicly attacking them, and d)remember that the reef aquarium hobby involves a certain amount of personal responsibility.

If we look at the coral vendor/reefer relationship as more of a partnership, I think we can all work together to create an even more responsible, sustainable, consumer-based industry that makes everyone happy.

handshake.jpg

We're better off working together...

If you're a vendor or a customer, I’d like to hear more of your thoughts on both the topics mentioned, and on others that were not covered. Getting this stuff out and discussing it will only foster better understanding between vendors and customers, build more solid relationships, and a better industry to serve the reef keeping community!

As always, stay engaged, keep learning and sharing…

And stay wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good one, Scott! There are a few vendors out there that take actinic to a whole new level when photgraphing their corals and I'm sure there are enough beginning hobbyists that get super excited by the fluorescent 'pop', only to see a less than colorful coral when placed in their tank.

I always appreciate it when the corals I receive look very much like the pics on the website and your company hits that mark very well. As a customer, I can be confident that I know what I see online will be close to what I will receive. Communication and packaging has always been first class, too, so kudos on a job well done!

Ralph.

ASAP-Aquarium

FREE USA SHIPPING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article Scott!

One factor that contributes to the color of the corals being inconsistent.....the lights the corals were shot under and the lights of the receiving tank. Obviously color temperatures vary depending on the lighting configuration. Stating what types of lights and the settings (thinking LEDs here) which they were photographed under can help informed buyers understand what to expect when transferred to their lighting system.

Another variable to consider it the color temperature settings of the digital cameras. Despite setting the white balace prior to shooting, color can vary dramaticallydepending on the camera manufacturer and the color sensing chips used in a particular camera model. While coral vendors may be experts and coral propegation, they may lack the photographic expertise to capture a color accurate shot.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article Scott!

One factor that contributes to the color of the corals being inconsistent.....the lights the corals were shot under and the lights of the receiving tank. Obviously color temperatures vary depending on the lighting configuration. Stating what types of lights and the settings (thinking LEDs here) which they were photographed under can help informed buyers understand what to expect when transferred to their lighting system.

Another variable to consider it the color temperature settings of the digital cameras. Despite setting the white balace prior to shooting, color can vary dramaticallydepending on the camera manufacturer and the color sensing chips used in a particular camera model. While coral vendors may be experts and coral propegation, they may lack the photographic expertise to capture a color accurate shot.

And shipping stress, too...Right? The standby excuse..but possibly true.

-Scott

ASAP-Aquarium

FREE USA SHIPPING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott.....

It's absolutely true... not an excuse.

Corals do get stressed during shipment and take time to recover from the stress of being in a dark box with non-ideal temperatures and degrading water quality in a confined space (think small to medium bag), then they need to acclimate to the new tank and new lights and "color up".

Whew! It's tough being a coral!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott.....

It's absolutely true... not an excuse.

Corals do get stressed during shipment and take time to recover from the stress of being in a dark box with non-ideal temperatures and degrading water quality in a confined space (think small to medium bag), then they need to acclimate to the new tank and new lights and "color up".

Whew! It's tough being a coral!

"Plus one!"

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take actinic to a whole new level when photgraphing their corals
I've seen that more and more, I like supporting ones that show me a true representation of that coral upfront. No BLUED out picks, where the white frag racks are bluish, their hands glowing blue, the whole tank washed in blue light, white frag plug glowing blue edges or hint of blue all over it. Unless that's how folks now are viewing their tanks under.

I respect those sellers that take the time to fix the digital photo to bring it back to how it would look naturally in one's tank in general compared to how it would look like if you have it under 20K radions or blasted with tons of LED.

Agree there are some really good vendors there but there is also a lot of scammers out there as well.

great post btw-

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott..........now you making friends........... LOL!.
If it wasn't for my work and your work I would be on the phone everyday with you, loved talking to you the other day.
Keep up the not so everyday reef dope.

MioReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your post but now let’s look at it on the customer side.

I’ve been in the hobby for quite some time now and I’ve heard many excuses from vendors from “my dog trashed my house” to “I couldn’t get back to you sooner because I was taking care of my grandma”. There is always good ways to make the customer experience better. Like for instance. Send them an email as soon as payment is received and let them know exactly when their shipment is expected to be shipped. If we send you an email or call you please get back to us on the same day as we may have some special shipping needs or just simply what to know where our hard earned cash is going.

The bottom line with most customers in this hobby (me included) is that we’re eager to get your beautiful corals in our tanks so we can stare at them day in and day out. That’s why when we place an order we want to get it as soon as possible (just like a kid in a candy store). Remember the vendor is in business because of us the customers. And I agree, we should try to work together to make this hobby even more amazing!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for Things Your Coral Vendor Will Never Tell You. LOL

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that more and more, I like supporting ones that show me a true representation of that coral upfront. No BLUED out picks, where the white frag racks are bluish, their hands glowing blue, the whole tank washed in blue light, white frag plug glowing blue edges or hint of blue all over it. Unless that's how folks now are viewing their tanks under.

I respect those sellers that take the time to fix the digital photo to bring it back to how it would look naturally in one's tank in general compared to how it would look like if you have it under 20K radions or blasted with tons of LED.

Agree there are some really good vendors there but there is also a lot of scammers out there as well.

great post btw-

Thanks for the props...There ARE a LOT of good vendors out there..The nasty ones are definitely a minority, IMHO.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott..........now you making friends........... LOL!.
If it wasn't for my work and your work I would be on the phone everyday with you, loved talking to you the other day.
Keep up the not so everyday reef dope.

Yikes...this is a regrettable trend...LOL

Seriously, was a pleasure talking, and keep fighting the good fight my friend!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your post but now let’s look at it on the customer side.

I’ve been in the hobby for quite some time now and I’ve heard many excuses from vendors from “my dog trashed my house” to “I couldn’t get back to you sooner because I was taking care of my grandma”. There is always good ways to make the customer experience better. Like for instance. Send them an email as soon as payment is received and let them know exactly when their shipment is expected to be shipped. If we send you an email or call you please get back to us on the same day as we may have some special shipping needs or just simply what to know where our hard earned cash is going.

The bottom line with most customers in this hobby (me included) is that we’re eager to get your beautiful corals in our tanks so we can stare at them day in and day out. That’s why when we place an order we want to get it as soon as possible (just like a kid in a candy store). Remember the vendor is in business because of us the customers. And I agree, we should try to work together to make this hobby even more amazing!

Excellent points, for sure. I can only speak for myself, but I know that we have become fanatical about customer service and just "taking care of people" because it's the only real way to do business..I'm sure many vendors will agree. We ARE in business because of reefers, and if we don't take care of the customers we have, we won't be in business all that long. I hate excuses. On the other hand, sometimes the "wheels just come off the wagon" and a confluence of bad timing and bad events happens...It's HOW the vendor responds under the BAD situations that makes them worth doing business with , IMHO. Anyone can serve you all on a good day, right?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff, Scott! I've seen lots of complaints by customers, and many are legit, but some seem downright unreasonable at times. I've also seen vendors who were less than helpful with some of these issues (I think most were more negligent than inscrupulous). I could rant about either one...but I'll stay brief today. :) I think at the end of the day that vendor and customer need to try and put themselves in the other guy's shoes. It seems that the Golden Rule is good business practice whether buying or selling...

As always, I appreciate your non-nonsense honesty! YOU are good for the hobby! :thumb:

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff, Scott! I've seen lots of complaints by customers, and many are legit, but some seem downright unreasonable at times. I've also seen vendors who were less than helpful with some of these issues (I think most were more negligent than inscrupulous). I could rant about either one...but I'll stay brief today. :) I think at the end of the day that vendor and customer need to try and put themselves in the other guy's shoes. It seems that the Golden Rule is good business practice whether buying or selling...

As always, I appreciate your non-nonsense honesty! YOU are good for the hobby! :thumb:

Aww...too nice...!

-Scott

Exclusive Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up Scott! I always like to come on here and read your post of the day :wink:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what kind of profit there might be in a business that ONLY ships livestock...with the greatest of care, of course...hmmm.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back