Do you "Get It?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a reefer really “gets it.”

There is this unofficial characteristic that you find in almost every hardcore reefer: A helpfulness, an undefinable generosity, compassion, enthusiasm- call it what you want- but it’s a palpable, measurable characteristic that separates hardcore reefers from the hapless dabblers in the aquatic hobby.

FTS_LG2.jpg

Mark Poletti is no "dabbler.."

Not sure what I mean? When was the last time you went to the LFS with a bunch of reef keeping buddies? It’s kind of like 8 year olds taking a road trip to Disneyland…The excitement and giddiness is unbearable! By the time you arrive, you’ve worked yourself up into such a frenzy that it won’t be a let down at all if the only corals you see are Green Star Polyps…

ww_mirthmobile.jpg

"I know they have that Zoa I want! And I can't wait to see that Blenny! Are we THERE yet?"

One of my favorite things about owning UC is the childlike wonder that hardcore reefers display when, after a long road trip from somewhere else, McDonalds coffee still in hand, they arrive at our facility and literally giggle with excitement as they start exploring the raceways.

Seeing that thrill in others never gets old…And that “thrill” that we get as hardcore reefers is a defining characteristic of our essence, as alluded to previously. The things that excite us are way different than the things that excite the casual reefer…I mean, you know you’re hardcore when your buddies can’t wait to show others YOUR cool protein skimmer, etc.- as if they somehow own it, too.

53331038aab34_04138357.jpg

"Dear Leader" doesn't get it. He's not a reefer for sure...But he IS an idiot!

And, in essence, we all do. Not in the communist, “everyone owns everything” kind of way- rather, the fact that every reefer seems to take a bit of pride in things that his/her fellow reefer accomplishes. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve arrived in a new town for a speaking gig, and the people who pick me up at the airport can’t wait to show me “Jim’s” reef, because he has the coolest “__________” ever.

I love that. I mean, they’re excited to show you SOMEONE ELSE’S reef? Awesome.

And what about generosity?

Hardcore reefers are typically overflowing with it. They love this stuff so much they’d literally give you their corals just because they are stoked on them. I saw a sterling example at Reefapalooza this weekend when a fellow reefer/vendor was so stoked that I loved one of his (rather expensive) Acros, that he literally said “I want yo to have it..” I was like, “Well, dude, come to my booth and grab something..” And his response was, “Maybe.”

I mean, he was all about just sharing (a rather expenisive) something that he loved with another reefer who also fell for the coral’s charms..And getting something in return wasn’t even on his mind. This guy was so stoked that I literally was getting goosebumps just talking with him. An absolutely perfect example of what I mean when I say that hardcore reefers are the coolest group of people you’ll ever meet.

Hardcore reefers have this air about them…they just want to try new stuff, share ideas, offer their opinions, and most important- support. When you have a problem and go on a forum and post the story of your trouble- you almost always get immediate, overwhelming response…Because hardcore reefers have been there…or if they haven’t- they know that they will one day. And, they will typically give generously of their time and effort simply for love of the hobby. “Payment” is usually in the form of frags…at some far off date in the future. It’s like, “No worries, just score me some frags of that sweet Efflo when you finally frag it” (Even though the coral in question is like 1.5” in diameter and a year away from fragging)..and the cool thing: The reefer who “owes” the frag will not forget…One day, he’ll come to the local meeting with a nice chunk of coral and tell the recipient, “I owe you from last year, when you helped dial in my calcium reactor that night..”

Hardcore reefers have a long memory about stuff like that.

UC1andhalfinch-acro-vermiculata-frag-48.jpg

"Just let me know when you frag it, bro.."

And don’t ever tell a hardcore reefer that you’re just getting started in the hobby during a visit to your tank, or you’ll be up until 2:30 AM gluing all the frags he/she is going to give you to your rock. It’s almost predictable how generous hardcore reefers are…to a fault, almost!

And the cool thing- it’s like that in every reef keeping community in the WORLD that I’ve visited…It’s like a universal culture. There are certain constants:

*Every hardcore reefer hates Xenia, calls it “weed”, but secretly is looking for some ‘cause they can’t get it to grow.

*Every hardcore reefer has at least three disaster stories to share (ya know, floods, broken hardware..or worse).

*Every hardcore reefer has like a pound of Chaetomorpha they want to get rid of, and will gladly drive 2 hours to do it!

*Every hardcore reefer has a pair of Clownfish that breed regularly, but they never get around to harvesting the larvae to rear.

*Every hardcore reefer has an “algae battle” story or three to tell!

*Every hardcore reefer has that ONE coral that he or she has been trying to track down for years...

Ah, hardcore reefers. I love ‘em.

Chaetomorpha.jpg

"I have some Chaeto, if anyone wants some.."

You people make my days- every day. We are a global, interconnected, interactive, fun-loving, fascinating, highly dysfunctional family of people who love this crazy hobby. Most important…

We are all friends.

And that makes getting up each day that much more enjoyable.

Until next time.

Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
left one out.

*Every hardcore reefer has had to deal with one, or more than likely all of the real nasty pests at one point and has a horror story to prove it

maybe that falls into the disaster one i don't know. good write up!

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Every hardcore reefer has, at one point in time, gave more attention to their aquarium than their significant other."

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nailed it again Scott!! This hardcore reefer owes you a visit so see what goodies you have hiding in those raceways.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
left one out.

*Every hardcore reefer has had to deal with one, or more than likely all of the real nasty pests at one point and has a horror story to prove it

maybe that falls into the disaster one i don't know. good write up!

Nah, that deserves its own icky category, lol!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Every hardcore reefer has, at one point in time, gave more attention to their aquarium than their significant other."

Good point, with the follow up to be, "Spend more time with your significant other, lest your reef BECOME your significant other!"

:mmph:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed meeting my new "reefer friend" the other day n_____n

I have a problem with the 'paying back' in that I have a horrible time remembering faces...if I don't save a phone number I'm hopeless >.< I do try, though.

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,

I have thoroughly been entertained and amused by your commentaries. Please keep them coming. I appreciate the honesty of your thoughts.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS DAY!!!!! LFS DAY!!!!!!! :):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:):):):):)

Time for my 325 mile round trip to see the same corals that were there last time I went 6 months ago! LOL

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a way of describing my madness in words that sent of couple of "memory moments" come full circle up my spine.

I have the first frag I ever got from my local reef club member who lives nearby. He openly invited me over for a frag of devil's hand in trade for beer (We're from Wisconsin; beer is monetary). I was so excited, I got the details ready to go over after work... well, I got so excited, I COMPLETELY forgot about the beer (don't tell anyone else from WI) but he said, "no worries" and offered me a beer anyway! (Welcome to Wisconsin!)
We looked at his tank, I had never seen anything like it in person. I was awestruck, feet nailed to the floor. I kept asking "What's that?" "That's cool" "Oh wow, what's that" etc... We talked reef for hours, he sent me away with a huge chunk of devils hand, some cheato and a whole lot more information than I started.
This was as good as christmas! This guy is a hardcore reefer past what any other HR I have ever seen. Ever

My lasting impression of my HR was when he hosted a local club party and stopped everything and announced that he was cutting frags, get in line. He just started pumping out frags to everyone that was there! He could have easily made hundreds if he sold those frags, but he doesn't even think like that. He just wants to talk reef and drink some beers with friends!

I'm very lucky to have met this person, we've become good friends and still sit around drink beers/talk reef. I also feel that meeting him first gave me something to strive for, reef-wise and attitude-wise. I've paid-it-forward by giving away every frag from his frag he gave me. It's my way of thanking him and trying to spread that "not everything has to be paid with cash" mantra forward. Plus, everytime I go over there, he asked me what coral I don't have and frags a chunk for me right then and there. He never accepts money, he just says, bring over some beer, we'll have a couple and talk reef.
Also, now we check on each other's tanks when were are away. I consider him a friend first over just a guy with a cool reef tank.
Sure, some people have unlimited funds and can swap out last year's new high end skimmer with this year's new model. Nope, this guy did what he could with what he had and a budget and was proud of it! I loved it! I saw that this hobby didn't need to be super expensive, just need to figure out what you need to do and how many different ways there are.

I'm blessed to be nearby two really good local reef clubs and have met a ton of nice people! I've met more hardcore reefers than non- and to me, it does nothing but fuel my fire for this hobby. I've seen a variety of tanks, every single one of them different in their own great way, livestock/equipment. If I did nothing but sit behind a computer and my tank, it would never have gotten to where it is now, and I still have a long way to go!

I remember some of those first frags I got when I wasn't expecting them. I bought a used ATO from a club member for a great price AND left with 2 frags that I just commented on when I was there. I mean, how cool is that? To me, it's the BEST! I still have that frag and it is still growing out and yes, I will repay this member someday with something he is looking for! There was another reefer that I wanted to take pictures of his tank, it's on here. However, I was so excited to just go take pictures of his tanks, that I wasn't even there to buy anything. It turned out to be an awesome afternoon of talking reef, seeing one of the best tanks I've seen with my 2 eyes! Then, as we were leaving he hands me 2 higher end acro frags. I ask him, "how much?" and he just kinda looks at me with that "are you kidding me look..." and off I went! So, I got to go see this guy's amazing tank, take pictures, use his amazing macro lense AND get 2 free acro frags. I mean, this is what it is all about. The community! I sell what I can to support my hobby, I also took on maintaining another member's reef for the same reason.

Your post smacked me right in the middle of the head. I don't think I would consider myself a hardcore reefer if my GF hadn't went thru the bank account and reminded me on how much I've spent this past year. The thing is, is she knows me.... She said "now this is only the stuff I could find. I know you've paid for stuff with cash etc". She wasn't so much mad as just a reality check. (ps, not the first reality check) and probably won't be the last...

I love the subject behind this post. This is something that can get caught in the wash if you're not careful. I've seen some people who I can tell they're growing strictly for money. I don't have a single person in mind, but they're out there. I don't mind them, they are doing what they want to do with their hobby. I just remember one post (completely different place) where you could almost tell he has had it with the dabblers, the no-shows, the fluff... I don't hold it against him, it's just that I couldn't meet his min requirements while I would have loved to get 1 or 2 frags from him. Oh well, maybe I'll find some somewhere else or maybe I'll find something else just as cool! That's the beauty of this hobby; such variety. Can anyone say that 2 separate systems can be set up the exact same and have the exact same results? It would be an awesome test, an expensive test, but really cool to see.

Well, I think I rambled on past the point of my excitement reaction to this post. Scott, you nailed what I am, hardcore reefer! I have my frag swaps planned out, but not where I'm going to put the frags... Does that happen to anyone else?

Keep on Reefin' on!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a way of describing my madness in words that sent of couple of "memory moments" come full circle up my spine.

I have the first frag I ever got from my local reef club member who lives nearby. He openly invited me over for a frag of devil's hand in trade for beer (We're from Wisconsin; beer is monetary). I was so excited, I got the details ready to go over after work... well, I got so excited, I COMPLETELY forgot about the beer (don't tell anyone else from WI) but he said, "no worries" and offered me a beer anyway! (Welcome to Wisconsin!)
We looked at his tank, I had never seen anything like it in person. I was awestruck, feet nailed to the floor. I kept asking "What's that?" "That's cool" "Oh wow, what's that" etc... We talked reef for hours, he sent me away with a huge chunk of devils hand, some cheato and a whole lot more information than I started.
This was as good as christmas! This guy is a hardcore reefer past what any other HR I have ever seen. Ever

My lasting impression of my HR was when he hosted a local club party and stopped everything and announced that he was cutting frags, get in line. He just started pumping out frags to everyone that was there! He could have easily made hundreds if he sold those frags, but he doesn't even think like that. He just wants to talk reef and drink some beers with friends!

I'm very lucky to have met this person, we've become good friends and still sit around drink beers/talk reef. I also feel that meeting him first gave me something to strive for, reef-wise and attitude-wise. I've paid-it-forward by giving away every frag from his frag he gave me. It's my way of thanking him and trying to spread that "not everything has to be paid with cash" mantra forward. Plus, everytime I go over there, he asked me what coral I don't have and frags a chunk for me right then and there. He never accepts money, he just says, bring over some beer, we'll have a couple and talk reef.
Also, now we check on each other's tanks when were are away. I consider him a friend first over just a guy with a cool reef tank.
Sure, some people have unlimited funds and can swap out last year's new high end skimmer with this year's new model. Nope, this guy did what he could with what he had and a budget and was proud of it! I loved it! I saw that this hobby didn't need to be super expensive, just need to figure out what you need to do and how many different ways there are.

I'm blessed to be nearby two really good local reef clubs and have met a ton of nice people! I've met more hardcore reefers than non- and to me, it does nothing but fuel my fire for this hobby. I've seen a variety of tanks, every single one of them different in their own great way, livestock/equipment. If I did nothing but sit behind a computer and my tank, it would never have gotten to where it is now, and I still have a long way to go!

I remember some of those first frags I got when I wasn't expecting them. I bought a used ATO from a club member for a great price AND left with 2 frags that I just commented on when I was there. I mean, how cool is that? To me, it's the BEST! I still have that frag and it is still growing out and yes, I will repay this member someday with something he is looking for! There was another reefer that I wanted to take pictures of his tank, it's on here. However, I was so excited to just go take pictures of his tanks, that I wasn't even there to buy anything. It turned out to be an awesome afternoon of talking reef, seeing one of the best tanks I've seen with my 2 eyes! Then, as we were leaving he hands me 2 higher end acro frags. I ask him, "how much?" and he just kinda looks at me with that "are you kidding me look..." and off I went! So, I got to go see this guy's amazing tank, take pictures, use his amazing macro lense AND get 2 free acro frags. I mean, this is what it is all about. The community! I sell what I can to support my hobby, I also took on maintaining another member's reef for the same reason.

Your post smacked me right in the middle of the head. I don't think I would consider myself a hardcore reefer if my GF hadn't went thru the bank account and reminded me on how much I've spent this past year. The thing is, is she knows me.... She said "now this is only the stuff I could find. I know you've paid for stuff with cash etc". She wasn't so much mad as just a reality check. (ps, not the first reality check) and probably won't be the last...

I love the subject behind this post. This is something that can get caught in the wash if you're not careful. I've seen some people who I can tell they're growing strictly for money. I don't have a single person in mind, but they're out there. I don't mind them, they are doing what they want to do with their hobby. I just remember one post (completely different place) where you could almost tell he has had it with the dabblers, the no-shows, the fluff... I don't hold it against him, it's just that I couldn't meet his min requirements while I would have loved to get 1 or 2 frags from him. Oh well, maybe I'll find some somewhere else or maybe I'll find something else just as cool! That's the beauty of this hobby; such variety. Can anyone say that 2 separate systems can be set up the exact same and have the exact same results? It would be an awesome test, an expensive test, but really cool to see.

Well, I think I rambled on past the point of my excitement reaction to this post. Scott, you nailed what I am, hardcore reefer! I have my frag swaps planned out, but not where I'm going to put the frags... Does that happen to anyone else?

Keep on Reefin' on!

That sent chills up MY spine! Completely awesome...yes, you are hardcore, my friend!:thumb:

Scott

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sent chills up MY spine! Completely awesome...yes, you are hardcore, my friend!:thumb:

Scott

:bigsmile: I really could write up just as much as I did before on so many awesome community stories.
I'm also blessed by being close to a store with the best customer service I've ever encountered and it's my LFS! They are very involved in the local reef club and offer group buys on so many items that I can't imagine how they make any money from our club. I buy $75 of my consumables from them and the price cannot be beat. They cater to everybody, they carry the high end for the unlimited funds types and the $5 frags for people like me!

Ok, I am doing what I said I wasn't going to do...

Someday, I'll be in your area Scott, and I'll be doing everything I can to make it to your facility! I would probably need to bring a sleeping bag :wink:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also love to visit your facility at some point <3 if I get a chance to do that to pick up the frags, I might be able to save them sme shipping stress, too.

At this point in time my Dad would have a fit if I started giving stuff away. Once I have him paid off for the extra items I needed for the tank, QT, etc, then I can look at giving away some frags as opposed to selling them. XD

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of something I was talking about today and a big one I think you missed. What other hobby or any part of your life do you have random people coming to your house that you have never met never heard of none of your friends know but.you still allow them to come see your tank or buy frags. When was the last time anyone has let someone in there house they don't know for any other reason that just wouldn't be safe but we do it for other reefers. I drilled some ones tank last night didn't even know his real name till he showed up with his tank. You should see my contacts in my phone there are atleast 20 with a reefing forum name . We are just a different breed.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of something I was talking about today and a big one I think you missed. What other hobby or any part of your life do you have random people coming to your house that you have never met never heard of none of your friends know but.you still allow them to come see your tank or buy frags. When was the last time anyone has let someone in there house they don't know for any other reason that just wouldn't be safe but we do it for other reefers. I drilled some ones tank last night didn't even know his real name till he showed up with his tank. You should see my contacts in my phone there are atleast 20 with a reefing forum name . We are just a different breed.

Yes! Totally right on! Thanks for sharing this one!

-Scott

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back