Back to the basics...and beyond?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great fish geek weekend…I was speaking at the Greater Iowa Reef Society’s Fall Frag Fest in Cedar Rapids. One of those, “Oh, so you think the life of a fish geek speaker is glamorous?” type weekends. The kind where you spend 14 hours traveling and 34 hours on the ground. Fun if you like airplanes and airports (which I do), but not really glamorous! Cool stuff, a great group, but the typical in-and-out whirlwind! I love this stuff!

The event was awesome, but it was over far too quickly! You realize the value of information sharing in the hobby at these events. I’m always reminded of both the thirst for information that exists in the hobby, as well as the culture that surrounds it. The culture of sharing and teaching. Pretty darned cool. And it always hits home for me when people tell me how much they enjoyed my blog about “______” a few weeks back…Causes me to realize the responsibility I have when discussing topics here.

Anyways, I shared the speaking bill with Cedar Rapids uber reefer Craig Johnston, who gave a great talk on the “Fundamentals of the Reef Aquarium.” At first, you’d think that the is the LAST thing you need to talk about to experienced reefers…Nothing could be further from the truth. Both Craig and I were totally blown away by the total hunger for seemingly basic hobby information. After both of our presentations, the amount of questions we fielded on stuff that would be considered “primary” reef keeping technique was overwhelmingly disproportionate to more advanced topics discussed in the talks.

We talked about this for a long time, and tried to get our heads around it all. Why would this be? I mean, we’re in the “Postmodern” era of reef keeping, where hobbyists are trying all sorts of advanced techniques and technology, and sharing via the internet. Reefers spend a collective fortune on the latest and greatest equipment: lighting technology, controllers, skimmers, pumps, etc. We are bombarded with lots of data on husbandry, coral care, setting up systems, etc. Information is everywhere.

Well, maybe the information is everywhere, but I get this sneaking feeling that many hobbyists are not taking advantage of it. Why would reefers who have 200 gallon plus reef systems, with thousands of dollars in corals and equipment have detailed questions and even misperceptions about really basic stuff like alkalinity, water quality, and stocking? Stuff that they should have acquired as fledgling reefers, or during their planning phases in the hobby adventure. How could this be?

math.png

If we can't grasp this....

wordmath2.png

...then we'll never grasp this!

Well, I have a couple of thoughts and theories about why (Well, of course I do, right?)

The Internet has changed everything: “Okay, Fellman, sure- go ahead and blame the ‘net. Slap Twitter again while you’re at it…” No, hear me out on this. I think that the internet and all of the information access it provides has been culture changing. However, some of the change in our hobby may not be for the better. There was a time when a beginner in the hobby went down to the LFS, had a conversation with the staff about starting a tank, and was sent home with some information and perhaps even cracked a book or two…BEFORE he or she even bought a tank.

IMG_5485-A.jpg

My good friend and favorite reefer in the world, Tony Vargas would love everyone to read more books...his is a great start!

With the internet, this information is readily available, along with forums where a fledgling reefer can discuss the hobby with experienced reefers. However, there are also hundreds of “build threads”, advertisements, and online vendors (just like mine) dangling all sorts of goodies in front of the neophyte. For just a few bucks, you can have all of this cool stuff delivered overnight right to your door! If you do it right, and if you can afford it, you’d be able to go from thinking about starting a reef to a full-fledged, high-octane system with all of the latest expensive gear and corals by Christmas! Maybe it’s a cultural shift brought about by the era of e-commerce. We have become accustomed to wanting something and getting it…fast. Why research it? I mean, there are products and equipment that can give you “professional results” with virtually plug and play setup. You can bypass all of that nonsense, like understanding the nitrogen cycle, or the concept of water quality management. We have live bacteria in a bottle, and electronic controllers to just set things up for us. Easy.

Bubble-King-Protein-Skimmer.jpg

It's a hard truth: Having the best equipment doesn't make you the best reefer. You need the basics.

Perhaps even too easy? Have we simply decided, in this fast-paced era, to just bypass the “learning curve?” Are we as a culture and business so eager to get new reefers into the game that we are enabling them to bypass the “dues paying” part of the climb to hobby success? Should there be a “dues paying” time, anyways? Who has the right to dictate THAT? On the other hand, are we exposing reefers to financial ruin, and most important- hapless animals to death because the newbie wants the deepwater Acro and “should” be able to keep it because of his crazy skimmer, advanced calcium reactor, water pumps, and electronic controller monitoring the whole thing can help? This dovetails nicely with my next theory:

Why try to understand what the corals and fishes need? The equipment will take care of it, right? We’ve gotten to the point where no one wants to brew a cup of coffee anymore. We have the “K-Cup” to do that. Maybe we’re too busy? Think I’m overreacting? I don’t think so. I’ve been approached as a vendor numerous times to give “remedial reef keeping” lessons to people who have obscene amounts of money invested in reefs that would put mine to shame, equipment-wise. Problem was, they hadn’t a clue about keeping the animals they built their technological shrines for. I know many fellow vendors and LFS people have had the same experiences. Have we as a hobby and industry made the process of actually understanding the life forms that we keep secondary to simply acquiring them? Makes me shudder a bit.

And I'm not trying to take the "You guys have it so easy- I had to walk through 6 feet of snow..." mentality. It's not about "Newbies have to pay their dues! They don't have the RIGHT to success.." No- the point is- we owe it to our animals- and ourselves, to understand this stuff.

This is where the LFS will shine above all. Talking-to people who live, breathe, and sleep reefing will help. Vendors online- same thing. Forums have a responsibility for perpetuating a responsible, educational culture. Too much is at stake. When the average reefer is in the hobby for only 18 months before throwing his/her arms up in frustration, something is wrong. Especially when we are selling millions of dollars of expensive equipment and livestock to the very people who are bailing out in droves. This isn’t just a fight to create more understanding and awareness..It’s literally a fight for survival of the hobby and art of reef keeping. Yup.

This is a “cultural shift”: Pure and simple…In a world where people are supposedly not able to retain more than 140 characters of information, and where there is a apparently an “algorithm” for pretty much everything, we simply have lost the ability to absorb information on things that are not considered “relevant” to our immediate goal. If the immediate goal is to have a great looking reef tank, apparently we don’t want to take the time to learn the groundwork that it takes to get there and to sustain a system on a long-term basis. It’s far more interesting- and apparently, immediately gratifying- to learn about what gear can get us where we want, and what corals and fishes are available. We perpetuate this by well- dumbing everything down. We feature the superficial aspects of the hobby- how cool the tanks look, etc., while failing to get people to grasp the basics. You even see this in many of the “build threads” I alluded to previously. In many of these threads, you’ll see a detailed run down of the equipment, shots of the assembly, the “solutions” to the problems encountered along the way (usually more expensive equipment purchases). You’ll see pics of the finished tanks…

All very interesting and helpful, but the “weirdness” starts when, in the middle of the threads, you’ll see the “builder” asking about why he’s experiencing a massive algae outbreak, or why all of the Acro frags he just added are dying in this brand new, state-of-the-art tank. Questions and ensuing discussions that make you wonder why this ill-informed, yet apparently well-healed individual went off on a 5-figure “joyride”, building a dream reef tank with an apparent complete ignorance of many of the hobby fundamentals. I’m often dumbfounded at the incredible lack of hobby basics many of these people show. Just because you’re a great DIY guy, and have disposable income to buy everything you see advertised on line for your 400 gallon reef tank, it doesn’t make you a knowledgeable or experienced reefer. It just doesn’t.

Okay, I’m sounding very cynical. And perhaps I am. But the evidence is out there in abundance…and it’s kind of discouraging at times.

Look, I’m not trying to be the self-appointed guardian of the hobby. I’m not calling us out. I’m asking for us to look at this stuff realistically, however. No one has a right to tell anyone that what they are doing is not the right way, but we do have to instill upon the newbie the importance of understanding the basics.

Like many other vendors, I offer corals and products to people and don’t educate them on every single aspect of reef husbandry. It’s hard to do that. I do write lots of blogs and articles, and lecture all over the world, so I know I’m doing something to reach some people…but not enough. I need to do better. I probably need to write more about basic sort of stuff than I do about whatever the heck is on my mind? Dunno. I do know that we all need to tell reefers like it is, without sugar coating everything. . There are dozens of posts and “build threads” on forums that DO provide great information to reefers, along with plenty of articles by experienced reefers discussing any number of arcane and fascinating reef-related topics. Yet, for all of this, we see what appears to be a very superficial understanding of the hobby by so many reefers. I feel sorry for these people, as well as the animals that are exposed to potentially fatal situations out of pure ignorance. The reefers also miss the joy that comes with understanding and applying something that they have learned.

p_025_l.jpg

Perhaps the end goal...but we need to walk before we can run. It's not that easy.

We all make mistakes. Part of the hobby and the learning curve. Yet, when I see so many indications that hobbyists are just not grasping the basic information that they need to be successful, I feel a sense of disappointment. I feel like we- all of us who are experienced in this great hobby and industry- are letting down a whole generation of hobbyists. Yikes, I’m giving us a bit of a butt-kicking. Yeah. I think we need to sit down with prospective hobbyist and who them that learning about the basics is actually FUN. It’s actually really cool stuff that will make their hobby experience way more fulfilling and interesting.

How does this get solved?

Well, it starts with mentoring. It starts with getting people excited not only at the end result- owning a “slice of the bottom”- it starts with getting people excited about the journey to get there, and learning about how we can make the animals under our care thrive. It’s not just about the latest gadgets- it’s about the latest information on fundamental care of animals.

It starts by us once and for all embracing the local fish store and the people who work there. Sure, there are the stories of ignorant personnel and such- but these are truly the exceptions rather than the rule- yet they have somehow seeped into our collective consciousness and contaminated forever our view of the local fish store. Most give invaluable, free hands-on advice. Most attempt to instill a passion that goes beyond just shilling products, as is unfairly leveled upon them. Enough is enough. Just like acknowledging that not all online coral vendors are Photoshop-abusing, money-grabbing deceptive-business-practicing sharks, we cannot keep ratholing the LFS as the primary cause of hobby dissatisfaction and misinformation. The local store, as I’ve written about previously- is the first link to the wonders of the hobby, a cornerstone of hobby “culture”, and the owners and employees deserve our unwavering support. Like all of us- they deserve the occasional kick in the rear when they screw up. But that’s about it.

It starts by continuing to emphasize basic care...Example: How many reefers do you know who really embrace a quarantine protocol for any fish and corals added to their tanks? How many reefers do you know that would bend over backwards to buy a product that promises the benefits of quarantine without actually doing it? A lot, I'll bet...I mean, we'd all be tempted...but how many would really just jump on that because of the seemingly easier course? Human nature? I guess. I can't believe the interest in the Triton stuff...I'm even more surprised by the number of people who jumped on the part that de-emphesizes water changes...To the point where the reason why Triton doesn't espouse the regular water change isn't really grasped...people are merely excited about "No water changes!" And that will be their takeaway. Sad.

As reefers, we need to support new hobbyists with not just the generosity that we’re famous for, but the incredible passion that we curate. We need to give them the good and the bad information. We need to impress upon them that running without learning how to walk first is a painful way to learn. Fishes and corals are not just “merchandise”, and the learning curve should not include exposing them to potentially fatal situations that could have been avoided had the neophyte reefer been properly instructed about their requirements from the get go. We need to let reefers know that part of the joy of the hobby is learning about this stuff first hand..by doing it.

In an era of instant gratification, it just seems that the reef hobby is a polar opposite. The vast majority of us get it, but there is a discouragingly large portion of the reef keeping hobby that hasn't seemed to have grasped the concept just yet.

Let's do our best to help change that.

Oh- got something BIG for everyone tomorrow that YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS!!! Stay tuned!

And, as always...

Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, Craig Johnston coral shop anemones clowns and corals burned down early this morning. Complete loss of the coral farm.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, Craig Johnston coral shop anemones clowns and corals burned down early this morning. Complete loss of the coral farm.

Yes, in fact I just learned about this terrible loss...He is an awesome guy, and we need to support our own and help him get back on his feet with corals when he's ready to resume operations...Terrible loss for the local reefing community in Cedar Rapids, and to reefers everywhere...

-Scott

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged alot of coral in that shop, and spent days just hanging out fish geeking.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the write-up, as usual n_n
I am grateful I learned as much as I did before jumping in. I researched until my brain hurt, and still there is more to learn...which makes me glad I have a decent grasp on the basics.
I'm also teaching Dad the basics of his big FW tank he just got...lol!

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you gonna come visit Connecticut. You should set up a table at the frag farmers market. It's a huge event over 50 vendors like Jason fox Pacific east. I would love to see you at this event.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Scott I was forced to walk through 6' of snow to get my first clown fish in the early 70's.
Kept him in a thermos bottle, you know the old aluminums triple wall from the WW II.
Fish survived the trip and lived for 8 more years.
Oh did I mention it took me a little over an hour to travel 2 miles in temps close to 15 Fahrenheit.
Where would we be without the internet in this hobby............... well, maybe you can tell us at Reef Current 2015.

blackx-runner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First MACNA in Des Moines and now a Scott Fellman Blog. The Greater Iowa Reef Society is playing in the big leagues now LOL. It was really a joy to have you here for the weekend. You should have stayed a couple more days and enjoyed the snow. I could have pulled out my 2wd pickup and let you whip some donuts in the parking lot. :nerd:

There seems to be more of a "buzz" around the club related to these particular topics than I have noticed from past events. It could be my event coordinator ears tuning in for it, but I don't think that's it. I think the topics were such that the "average" reefer was able to take away some good useful information and apply it directly, and easily to their own tanks. There have already been a few facebook posts about people redoing their aquascaping, and the results of some much needed testing and tank maintenance.

There are many great speakers, and many great topics out there, but from what I saw in my search for speakers was a high percentage of advanced topics for advanced reefers. I know for a fact that our club, and every other club in the nation, is made up of all levels of reefers. It's usually the new comers that are seeking the most information. Our events have never really included anything for this crowd, but as a club these are the exact topics and groups of people that we should be including. They are the future of the hobby and are the ones wanting this "fundamental" information that is really key to a successful reef. Craig has always been an integral part of our club and he was willing to step up and create a presentation geared more towards the newbie hobbyists. I never really thought the topic would appeal much to the "experienced" reefers, but from what I could tell from hearing peoples thought afterwards, and your blog confirms this, Craig did an excellent job of creating a presentation that any level of reefer could understand, appreciate, and walk away with some very good useful information.
I know for my personal tank a step back and a good look at the "fundamentals of a reef aquarium" would definitely do me some good. I'm sure I'm not alone either.

Last edited:

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live near where his store was. HUGE LOSS for our area-all we're left for a "LFS" are Petco and Petsmart. :squigglemouth: He had closed down the store, but was open for appointments. Hopefully they open up with something again because they're knowledge was out of this world and they were friendly.

mcbridepcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this trend too, in our modern information world. I stated as an Aquarist in the late 70's part of it was trying to get the latest, and hopefully best information on keeping the animals in our charge alive. I must own a ton of aquarium magazines, there was no internet then. I don't know if I was and am fortunate, or not so much but never had the money to despise of on the latest and greatest aquarium assesary. When I started reading the articles about more natural ways to keep a marine aquarium like the Berlin method, I began having success keeping fish, and some inverts alive for years instead of months. The point is I had to learn if I was going to be successful especially on a smaller income. I have always done my water changes, and run a skimmer, I melted soft corals back then, and some LPS. I tested weekly, and started to know when something wasn't quite right. I'm still an advid reader, but one thing I know about the internet is there are options on every subject of reef keeping and are contrary to one another. Only a good understanding of the basics can keep you in this hobby for the long hall. The equipment is great I have more now the I used to, I no better though then relying on it. I continue to test and do water changes. As one of reefs finding father wrote this is a "Art and Science, and the Technology" Its what has kept me interested for almost 40 years, I encourage every one to learn, and keep on learning, it's half the fun.

Patrick McBride

cjcarlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, I am exactly who you are writing about , in the flesh! I started by having a saltwater tank for years. Never did much with it, bought fish, they died, I bought more. Recently I had enough time to start to research and found out, you don't know what you don't know. Did this all on the internet. Got excited, decided I want a reef. researched sumps, and skimmers and lights and RO/DI. Would love to know where I should have started and fill the holes, I know they are still there. Happy to learn just not sure where to turn. To many options and all seem fragmented!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biology doesn't change whether it's 1970 (about when I got started with SW) or 2014. However, today's mindset seems to be more directed to having something in a bottle or a piece of tech take care of the problem without having to figure out cause and effect. Reminds me of the current medical industry: "Got a problem...pop a pill! If that pill gives you problems, we've got others to fix that" And on it goes until the whole biological system is out of whack.

Like any tool, the Internet can be a boon if used wisely, or a curse if used unwisely. Knowing how to separate the 'wheat from the chaff' makes all the difference and this is a hard thing for a beginner to recognize. And just the sheer number of sites, forums, articles, posts and threads can be overwhelming and the information sometimes conflicting.

Call me old fashioned, but IMO the best way to absorb the concepts in reef keeping is with a good reef book or two from respected authors. Then use the internet to fine tune once the basics are thoroughly understood.

- Ralph.

Last edited:

mcbridepcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the early days of salt water, you probably only find books conveying the basics: biological filtration, the nitrogen cycle, campatability issues, and maybe some specifics on indivual specifies. Only in the latest aquarium magazines could your read about new methods tried, and new equipment that was out. There are some decent books available your can purchase. Most cover the basics, and how to set up and maintain a salt water reef. A good book will also offer some stocking suggestions for both reef, inverts, and corals. However all the latest gaskets, and technics May not all be covers.
Topics like carbon dosing, and biopellet reactors are relatively new, and experiences vary from one reefer to another. Ever system is different and not everything applies the same to individuals systems. That's were you have to make a judgement call weather a technich is working for you or not. Patience is a feeders best friend...... with time, and study with careful observation anyone who is willing to keep putting the work into this hobby can have success. No there is no magic pill, or controller, or any device that will give instant gratification..... Remember PATIENTS.

PATRICK MCBRIDE

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct us to the basics now please...for me, I like the new technology, but really, I don't want to buy anything that I don't need. My ideal is to keep my tank simple with some nice toys, like really nice lights because I don't want the lights to make my journey more difficult than I already know it is going to be. Meaning, if something does go wrong I don't want to have to think, I should have purchased this light instead. For me the simpler the better. I want my tank to thrive... I don't want to kill much in the process...and I want to challenge myself to the point where I can keep some of the harder Sps corals. They are beautiful.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct us to the basics now please...for me, I like the new technology, but really, I don't want to buy anything that I don't need. My ideal is to keep my tank simple with some nice toys, like really nice lights because I don't want the lights to make my journey more difficult than I already know it is going to be. Meaning, if something does go wrong I don't want to have to think, I should have purchased this light instead. For me the simpler the better. I want my tank to thrive... I don't want to kill much in the process...and I want to challenge myself to the point where I can keep some of the harder Sps corals. They are beautiful.

Okay, good...I think we will be throwing in much more of the "basic conceptual" stuff in upcoming blogs, with the occasional very specific topic, and of course, my usual irreverent commentary just to cause some controversy now and then...LOL

Scott

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, good...I think we will be throwing in much more of the "basic conceptual" stuff in upcoming blogs, with the occasional very specific topic, and of course, my usual irreverent commentary just to cause some controversy now and then...LOL

Scott

Will your blog be here in this tread or someplace else?

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reefer of a couple of decades, I meandered on to one of those many FB sites that liter the 'net these days. I was absolutely horrified at the 'confident' advice being dished out by all and sundry. I stuck my toe into the waters of one of the discussions and backed up my assertion with a link to one of Randy's articles. You'd have thought that the devil incarnate had just visited them ... the abuse was unreal! Proper published information by recognised experts is of no concern ... when you're shopping the page to find a comment, any comment, to assert the 'validity' of your stupid actions. No the internet has served largely to be a library of silly opinions and misinformation ... a good book or article by a recognised expert is far more valuable on the basis that the person is capable of an attention span longer than 256 characters. :)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reefer of a couple of decades, I meandered on to one of those many FB sites that liter the 'net these days. I was absolutely horrified at the 'confident' advice being dished out by all and sundry. I stuck my toe into the waters of one of the discussions and backed up my assertion with a link to one of Randy's articles. You'd have thought that the devil incarnate had just visited them ... the abuse was unreal! Proper published information by recognised experts is of no concern ... when you're shopping the page to find a comment, any comment, to assert the 'validity' of your stupid actions. No the internet has served largely to be a library of silly opinions and misinformation ... a good book or article by a recognised expert is far more valuable on the basis that the person is capable of an attention span longer than 256 characters. :)

:kiss:
Love that!
-Scott

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back