How do you mount your frags? Horizontal, vertical, or otherwise?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a practicing reefer, you see and hear of a lot of different ways to do things. Some are “no brainersâ€- logical and easy choices based on sound theory and practice. Others are a bit more “out thereâ€, requiring us to wrap our heads around the concept a bit more thoroughly. Once concept that no one seems to have much difficulty grasping is the importance of making and distributing coral frags. They are not only a key to a more sustainable hobby and trade- they may very well be the ONLY way coral will be distributed in the future.

UC6-piece-acro-frag-pack-includes-blueberry-shortcake-strawberry-shortcake-garf-valida-green-pro.jpg

Seems like we mount most of our Acro frags vertically because...?

Fortunately, as hobbyists and industry types, we have a wealth of experience in fragging stuff. We know how to cut a coral, where to cut it, and how to grow it out. One thing that I have given much thought to lately is wether or not there is any benefit to mounting an Acropora frag on a plug in a horizontal or the more common vertical mounting? For some reason, vertical has been the “mounting technique of choice†in the hobby for Acros, and I’m starting to wonder why. I mean, I think of coral frags that I’ve secured to rock work in a horizontal orientation and recall that they encrusted nicely, and spread out more quickly and securely than those mounted like a chicken drumstick on the rock work.

vermiculata.jpg

I suppose you could simply lay it on its side, but at this point- would you?

I think that the horizontal mount has some advantages- mainly, a greater area of the coral may be exposed to light and water movement, which facilitates gas exchange and a cleaner “boundary layer†between the coral and it’s aqueous environment. Greater gas exchange and exposure of coral tissue to light would seem to me to encourage faster growth for a frag, and with more surface area of the coral on the plug, more rapid encrusting for many species.

strawberry-shortcaker2.jpg

When you DO mount Acro frags horizontally, they seem to encrust more before "going vertical."

I recall mounting Acropora millepora frags in this horizontal orientation, and seeing them encrust super fast onto the plug or rock work, and then start throwing up branches over a wide area. It seems to me that most Acropora frags really only start their vertical branching growth after they have laid down a “sheet†of encrusting tissue on the substrate to which they were mounted. One could hypothesize that mounting a frag horizontally would speed up this process? Of course, the same may not be true of some of the so-called “deepwater†species, such as A. suharsonoi, A. carduus, A. walindii, etc.

UC1inch-uc-red-dragon-acropora-carduus-74-inventory-12.jpg

Perhaps "deepwater" species WOULD be best mounted horizontally? Maybe?

So I suppose it will be an interesting experiment on a commercial level to see which yields more rapid and healthy growth…I guess, since I have “a few†Acro frags, I will take to specimens of the same coral, mount one in the traditional vertical orientation, and one horizontally, and see which one seems to do better when given the identical conditions. Now I know this isn’t groundbreaking and probably has been discussed and played around with for years, but I’m curious and once I get a bug in a certain place, I need to play around with an idea…

Who is a “horizontal†mount kind of reefer and why? Or, are you convinced that vertical mounting is the way and that there is a reason to utilize this format beyond just the fact that everyone seems to do it that way?

slider5-acro-triton.jpg

In the end, does it really matter how you mount them? We're all about results...

These are the kind of weird things that keep geeks like me up at night…really. And I know more than a few of my fellow reefers out there have similar "mental gymnastics" going through your head at all hours of the night…

So, let’s open this up to even more discussion…Are there some other more unusual fragging/mounting techniques you use? What made you select these methods?

Can we talk?

As always, keep it interesting, be geeky…

And Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people starting to mount then horizontal and wondered why. I guess it does make sense. You cut 1 branch it just grows up then starts to branch out. I have a one that was sold to me as 1 long branch. Now it's almost growing like a tree 1 trunk up with a few branches. It's kind of boring. At some point I'm gonna break it off so that I will grow the way it's supposed to with multiple branches from the base

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tended toward mounting acropora at a slight angle rather than straight up on the plug. I guess you could say at about 35 degrees off of vertical. I like to position the fragment so that the side that has been lit before cutting remains toward the light. I think that the reason that I have been doing it this way is, that having run across this idea that you mention here about horizontal mounting, I have opted for implementing it in half measure. I tried the horizontal method, but it seems that, to me at least, that it involves killing more tissue because of more glue contact, and also because more of the tissue has been placed out of reach of light.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...I like the angle idea as a sort of compromise between the two!

-Scott

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big issue is that I want to minimize the amount of glue on the healthy tissue. Generally when fragging acro it makes a nice small clean cut that just a dab of glue and you can mount it on the plug with no tissue being covered. Vertically mounted straight at the light both sides get some amount of light, horizontal you have to put glue on tissue (normally) and then one side gets a lot of light while the other is shaded. I like the cut at an angle method DFW said.

jmarcink91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this post is meant solely for acros, but I have wondered this about my birdnest. Since it does not encrust like acros do, I was wondering if gluing horizontal would make it have a larger base so once it grows it is not as top heavy.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this post is meant solely for acros, but I have wondered this about my birdnest. Since it does not encrust like acros do, I was wondering if gluing horizontal would make it have a larger base so once it grows it is not as top heavy.

Wow, that is a great idea! I have lots of birdsnests that are supported by one spindly base, I am going to try that next time!

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how horizontal creates better water flow. Mounted in a vertical position would easily allow greater flow as there would be less dead space from the side against the plug or rock. I would argue that a horizontal position might encourage a reversion to beginners growth. Remember all coral that starts from fertilization starts as a speck on a rock some where. As it grows and creates a solid anchor it sends up vertical shoots. Maybe a horizontal pattern reverts the colony to an early growth state. Sounds like a great study to me.........

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my Acro's that were mounted vertical are encrusting like mad before they branch.
My one Acro in the tank that was mounted horizontally (Acropora Tenuis) IMMEDIATELY started branching out like a thick bush with zero encrustation onto its plug.......

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how horizontal creates better water flow. Mounted in a vertical position would easily allow greater flow as there would be less dead space from the side against the plug or rock. I would argue that a horizontal position might encourage a reversion to beginners growth. Remember all coral that starts from fertilization starts as a speck on a rock some where. As it grows and creates a solid anchor it sends up vertical shoots. Maybe a horizontal pattern reverts the colony to an early growth state. Sounds like a great study to me.........

Yeah, I think there is some interesting stuff there. I think that the issue of flow is certainly debatable, and there is probably some physics somewhere that will tell both of us that we're wrong with our suppositions! LOL The reality, as you point out, is that coral generally does start its life in an encrusting mode before branching, which begs your question if mounting horizontally is actually a "reversion", or counter productive after a coral has already started branching? ARRRGH- this stuff is totally crazy to get your head around sometimes...Still seems like a fun experiment..I'll get to the raceways today or tomorrow and start it up and report back!

Thanks for the fun feedback and ideas!

Scott

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me think.... I just built a smaller frag rack by gluing some egg crate to a mag-float. Now if one could find a way to secure the bottom of the frags (maybe rubber bands?), you could in theory rotate the frag rack back and forth every few days. I think ideally maybe 45 deg but this would give the advantage of both sides of the "stick" getting light. I wonder if this alternating light would do more harm then good? Seems like a potential way to solve the whole bottom of the stick getting less light while horizontal issue.

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny there's been so much talk about mounting on an angle as opposed to straight upright or horizontal. I was about to add the same observation. Seems to be kinda the best of both worlds. Not crazy encrustation, quick to branch (somewhat table formation to start), and minimal tissue loss with gluing. If you have enough light bouncing off the bottom of your tank, the underside fairs well too.

I'm looking forward to the follow-up growth pics to this thread in six months!

DecanoLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott,

Nice topic!

Have you ever considered that in the WILD, when these acro corals get smashed up, they PROBABLY will land on their sides (horizontal)?

I bet they have evolved mechanisms for growing from this horizontal position caused by natural fragmentations...

IDK, just an idea...

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question has always crossed my mind. I usually mount my acros vertically and they always throw out a nice base and then grow vertically. Sometimes encrusting too much lol. But then I have another piece that was given to me mounted horizontally and I left it like that. It barely encrusted and shot up vertically instantly.

scottbapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thought, somthing to think about, I never mount any of my frags completly straight. I think they look more
natural that way

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been curious on this same topic for a while now. I've mounted both, on this last fragging spree, horizontal and vertical. With the two acros I mounted I noticed the same speed of encrusting just at different rates given the perimeter of coral touching the plug or glue. if mounted vertical its a very small portion that starts encrusting, if mounted horizontal its a larger amount touching and therefore encrusting. I will say from a selling point the vertical pieces sold first, with the exception of seasoned reefers choosing the horizontal mount for the reason stated of growing more of a colony rather than a tree like growth. They all did exhibit the same characteristics of encrusting a fair amount before growing vertical, regardless of mounting orientation. the two I did on this were tubs mystic blue and garf bonsai.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done both actually... Milles, digis and spongodes corals work great mounted on their sides. Torts I have had issues with side mounting. Hydnaphora doesn't care how you mount it.

Side mounting gets better plug/rock encrusting in the same amount of time as compared to a standing up mounting. If you know the coral needs a good base before it grows, side mounting seems best.

However with that said, when people come over and see the frag rack, they tend to want to buy the one standing up, not on its side as it "looks" better for sales...

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the first time I encountered this idea was at a talk Calfo gave at an IMAC he took it a step further suggesting slicing the frag up the middle so that two pieces could be laid on a plug, not having to glue tissue. With thick branched acros I'd say that's possible.
My Garf Bonsai was horizontally mounted and the base is baseball size with a dozen or so branches now. Definitely more structural support for the Colony. I have mounted few horizontally and while it means waiting a bit for vertical growth I believe it's worth it the end result of more base tissue and more vertical branches.

However I don't think it will ever become the way the bulk of frags get mounted. While there seems to be good reason for it, we want to find a way to be inpatient in a hobby that tells us to be patient. And getting a stick with vertical inch or two is one of the few ways we can.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the first time I encountered this idea was at a talk Calfo gave at an IMAC he took it a step further suggesting slicing the frag up the middle so that two pieces could be laid on a plug, not having to glue tissue. With thick branched acros I'd say that's possible.
My Garf Bonsai was horizontally mounted and the base is baseball size with a dozen or so branches now. Definitely more structural support for the Colony. I have mounted few horizontally and while it means waiting a bit for vertical growth I believe it's worth it the end result of more base tissue and more vertical branches.

However I don't think it will ever become the way the bulk of frags get mounted. While there seems to be good reason for it, we want to find a way to be inpatient in a hobby that tells us to be patient. And getting a stick with vertical inch or two is one of the few ways we can.

SO eloquently stated!

-Scott

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back