Controversy in the reef keeping hobby and industry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for one of those introspective moments.

I was talking with a fellow reefer/industry type the other day, and we were talking about some of the issues affecting our hobby- the possible collecting ban in Hawaii, the potential listing of several coral species as endangered, and other trends within the hobby. These are all important things. We also talked about behavior of hobbyists and industry people when you attempt to breach certain topics. We felt like there were certain things that you simply couldn't talk about without getting people really riled up.

One of the things we discussed that sort of got us going was an issue related to coral prices and relative rarity. We recently received what is known as a “Masterpiece Scolymia” or “Master Scoly” from one of our top suppliers in Australia. A really top notch organization. It’s a truly amazing piece that stands out the minute you see it. These corals fetch very good money.

HOLD 2andhalfinch-master-scoly-1200.jpg

The "Real Deal" ?

masterpiece-scoly.jpg

Also the "Real Deal?"

The “Master Scoly” is one of the most sought after and difficult to find morphs of Scolymia on the market. Ask any coral vendor…the “real deal” ones are very few and far in between. When it comes to this morph, if we see one a year- that’s impressive. We’ve seen 2 within the past year after not receiving a single one for over 18 months previously. Why is this? Are we using the wrong suppliers? Are we just not cool enough? I digress…

The reality of the matter is that these corals are collected somewhat semi-regularly in Australia, but the vast majority go to…Asia.

Why is this?

Well, when we pressed further, we found out the simple reasoning: Because the Asian market will but a lot of “average” Scolys, making them a more attractive market to send the real crazy high-end stuff to. Simply put, they get the good stuff more often because they buy more of the average stuff. vendors want to keep these people happy. And they pay an arm and a leg for them. We buy a few a month, as do probably many U.S. coral vendors- but that’s typically not enough to warrant the collectors to send us the rarest of the rare. I see their logic. So it’s rare, for sure, but what makes the “Master” REALLY rare is the fact that most go to Asia instead of the “softer” (for Solys) U.S. market. When a real-deal “Master” Makes it here, it’s because someone paid for it- a lot…and brought the collector a lot of business.

Yup, I get it. This is the reason why these corals are rare. And expensive. There are not many collected in general, and even fewer of those collected ever make it to the U.S. So, like it or not, that’s why the “real deal” “Masterpiece” Scolys are pricy. No real controversy there. And we’re not talking about the relative ethics of keeping them here. The controversial part is that, because the industry has no real “grading standards” for corals, vendors can call any really nice Scoly a “Master Scoly” and charge a small fortune for it.

UC2andhalfinch-large-ultra-scoly-398.jpg

Not the "Real Deal"...according to whom?

If you’ll ask the Aussies who collect them, they’ll tell you that “by definition”, to be called a “Master”, the coral must have at least 4 or 5 different colors, etc. Who “regulates” this stuff? Does a vendor calling just a really nice Scoly the coveted “Master” and charging for it do the hobby/industry a disservice? Who defines this? Who has the right to question this? Should anyone care? Should they? It's Capitalism, right? Is there a disconnect between the collectors and the people who sell the corals, because , for the most part, there is no “standardization” of coral morphs or grades…It’s a total free market thing- the Wild West. We sort of self-regulate, but in an unwritten sense. It’s weird, really, but also kind of cool, but fraught with opinion, hyperbole…and yeah, controversy. Or is it? Why even question it? We should be allowed to charge whatever the consumer wants to pay. Right? We don't need a "watchdog." Or do we? Or...?

It’s not really discussed a lot in the open, so it’s an excellent example of one of those topics that can ruffle feathers when it gets pulled out.

Back to my point: Why IS it that discussions of certain subjects in the reef world just seem to bring up a lot of emotion, rancor, and even flat-out hatred? I know that, whenever I write about certain subjects in a forum, emotions run hot, and accusations and insults run hot and heavy. It goes something like this:

I (or another writer/hobbyist, of course) write a little rant about something like why I think that Photoshop Abuse is a problem, or why goofy coral names may lead to confusion for consumers and even the misrepresentation of the value of some corals, or why chop-shop tactics are still so pervasive, etc. I question a practice like why certain relatively common corals are somehow hyped via the internet, and fetch extraordinary prices when, in actuality, they are available almost everywhere quite inexpensively…and often even propagated regularly, etc., etc.. Basically, I question practices that seem a bit…well, “off” to me, but seem to be tacitly approved by the hobby/industry on the whole.

controversy.jpg

Then what happens is that I get a bunch of PMs from certain hobbyists or other vendors who tell me, “Who are YOU and Unique Corals to dictate what is what and how things should get priced?” or “What, Unique Corals is up on it’s high horse trying to dictate how everyone should do business? You think that you’re the only ethical people in the trade? Ha!” Or, “You’re so arrogant and full of yourselves. I’ve been in this business before you even kept a reef tank (probably not true, btw) and I’ve seen 8 million more pieces of coral and have forgotten more about it than you’ll ever know ( that part probably is true, btw), and you don’t know what the real “Smoking Gun Nuclear Blue Acro” is!” OR, “You’re just a sore loser because you can’t hype up an Acroproa tennus with a goofy name and sell it at $300 for a 1/2” piece!” Or, “I know for a fact that you sell Scleronepthia and other non-sustainable stuff, so stop hyping how sustainable YOUR company is” OR, "Do you have so little confidence in yourselves that you must trash talk the industry?”

Blah, blah, blah…Trash talk.

Rarely a constructive suggestion or point by these kinds of people…Just…attacks.

Why is trying to have a dialogue about something perhaps controversial that confuses me and others seen by some as “giving the industry a black eye?” We’re on the verge of being legislated out of existence because we DON’T look in the mirror and ask the tough questions nearly often enough. Yet, when someone tries to voice an opinion on a topic that is somewhat uncomfortable, or perhaps a topic that makes the hobby/industry not look so good, and get people to discuss it, some people react badly. It’s like there’s this unwritten law in our hobby/industry that “insiders” are not supposed to discuss things publicly that make us look bad. Far better to sweep stuff under the carpet and let it fester in darkness than to engage in any kind of dialogue, I suppose. Better to let “For The Fishes” and “Snorkel Bob” talk about stuff.

Petco-Protest-2 2.jpg

Better to have THIS guy bring up the heavy stuff?

It just gets mean. It’s like there is no comfortable way to breach a tough subject. There is simply no way NOT to insult someone; to tick someone off. People get so self-righteous and mean (of course, I guarantee I’ll be called “self-righteous” for even bringing this subject up!). They launch attacks just because. People will point out various corals that we sell that are, in their opinion, overpriced, or that we screwed up an order for someone or mis-ID’d something, or that I’m not being scientific, etc.

Whatever. It’s just…interesting. And predictable.

This is my opinion, okay? My opinion? And I’m asking you-my hobbyist friends- for you thoughts. The fact that I’m even questioning this stuff may offend some of you and your sensibilities. It comes off as smarmy or self-righteous. Perhaps I’m way off base. I’m sure that you have dozens of examples of why I’m wrong and hypocritical. Nonetheless, this is a piece I’m writing in the Unique Corals forum, based totally on my opinion. You can write your viewpoint in this forum, or in another forum. You can trash talk me and my company if you somehow feel that it's constructive or pertinent to the conversation, I suppose. That’s okay in a free market and a democracy.

The question I ask is, why do some hobby subjects create such divisiveness? Why are we not “supposed” to discuss them? Or am I just not sleeping well these days and making a mountain out of a mole hill with this topic?

I’m curious. Discuss…or attack…But I’d like to hear your thoughts.

Stay clean. Stay on topic.

And stay wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited by a moderator:

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great stuff. I was thinking just yesterday about all the different terms I see like "ultra" and "rainbow" around acans and was like "what's the definition on those? 3 colors, 4 colors, stripes, or just arbitrary". Same with chalices. There are probably multiple reasons for folks to be afraid of some of these topics. There are obviously some vendors who benefit from ambiguity and ignorance in the consumer (when I see blue egg crate in a coral pic I move on to another site). I think there is probably a little keeping your head in the sand and hoping for the best too. It's uncomfortable talking about things when you don't want to hear the answers. Who wants to imagine that they just spent $10K on a reef setup and that they might not be able to get anything to put in it 2 years from now? It's nice we have some folks who will rattle the bars once in a while (or several times a week in Scott's case) to keep us all thinking about stuff we should be thinking (and talking) about.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on this is if I like it, want it, and can (or at least almost can) afford it, then I buy it. I think some prices charged are ridiculous. But there are some that can afford ridiculous prices, I don't fall into that group unfortunately. The most expensive coral I bought ever was under $150 and I don't plan to ever breach that. It's too bad that the market has to work this way but there are niches in every market. Such is life.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, I'm thinking that you are in "introspective land" more often than you care to admit. I certainly agree with that thought process. Do you want to be ordinary or extraordinary? Greatness is only achieved by working "outside the box"

I'll bring up a controversial topic (CT): I do know a lot of the answers to this CT. The AWA, Animal Welfare Act, does not protect cold blooded species, like fish or corals, unless they are considered exotic or endangered. If one seller has morals there are certainly many others that only consider the sale. Every one has to right to try and fail. Corals and fish are a renewable resource and a lot of countries depend on them for income. Etcetera, the list is long, so I'll digress here.

What CT am I talking about? Have you ever read a post where your first thought is oh no, everything is going to die. Oh my, how can you get this person to reconsider and do more research first?

An example of one of these posts is, I'm abbreviating: My tank has been cycled for two weeks, all my fish have died. Then the responses - "You'll have to leave it fallow for this many weeks." Then the OP's response, "Oh, I don't have a QT tank and I can't afford one right now." Then the next OP's response, "Oh well, I guess I can fill the tank with corals while I wait out the fallow period."

Oh my, Scott, have you got me riled now. (Not really, I'm pretty level headed.) Are most fish and coral dealers so obsessed with making a sale that they don't give a hoot as to where their products end up?

I know this isn't a new topic, but it certainly is a controversial one. I just wish there were more people that were more conscientious about the animals that they keep. But, to be fair, most irresponsible new reefers haven't a clue and we really can't hold them responsible for their ignorance.

I'm sure this is the reason that you are so forthcoming with the information you share. I know it is the main reason I am on this site trying to help others.

I hope this made a little sense and isn't just a ramble.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great stuff. I was thinking just yesterday about all the different terms I see like "ultra" and "rainbow" around acans and was like "what's the definition on those? 3 colors, 4 colors, stripes, or just arbitrary". Same with chalices. There are probably multiple reasons for folks to be afraid of some of these topics. There are obviously some vendors who benefit from ambiguity and ignorance in the consumer (when I see blue egg crate in a coral pic I move on to another site). I think there is probably a little keeping your head in the sand and hoping for the best too. It's uncomfortable talking about things when you don't want to hear the answers. Who wants to imagine that they just spent $10K on a reef setup and that they might not be able to get anything to put in it 2 years from now? It's nice we have some folks who will rattle the bars once in a while (or several times a week in Scott's case) to keep us all thinking about stuff we should be thinking (and talking) about.

It's another tough subject to breach...I mean, we in the industry need to utilize some marketing hyperbole in order to differentiate some corals from others, and each vendor has to give the consumer some reason why they are a better option..It' the beauty of marketing. You need to offer a "solution" to a "problem" in a better manner than your competition. No problem there. The problem lies in the fact that we use a lot of fun words (and yeah, UC is just as guilty as anyone) to differentiate "grades" of corals..."Ultra" is probably the biggest example I can think of...It's real catch all that we probably feel describes a "grade" that is better than average. There are other options of course, but this term seems to have caught on...And interestingly, most of our customers seem to know what "Ultra" means in relation to a "typical" version of a coral. A weird little dichotomy, really.

Arbitrary- the perfect word, really. I mean, one man's idea of "Ultra" is another's "Rainbow" or "First Grade", etc. In the end, the real differentiator is how comfortable you are with the way a seller represents his or her corals...I mean, if you order what is supposed to be "Ultra" or whatever, and the pic looks amazing on the site, and you receive a fantastic looking specimen, then you kind of get an idea that this is what the vendor uses to define "Ultra." On the other hand, if it's a photo manipulated piece of average coral...you'll realize very soon who's verbiage is reliable and relatable.

Thanks for the input!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on this is if I like it, want it, and can (or at least almost can) afford it, then I buy it. I think some prices charged are ridiculous. But there are some that can afford ridiculous prices, I don't fall into that group unfortunately. The most expensive coral I bought ever was under $150 and I don't plan to ever breach that. It's too bad that the market has to work this way but there are niches in every market. Such is life.

In the end, the consumer dictates what is appropriate and logical. And thats worked well for a long time. I think the reality is today's consumer is far better informed than in years past, and they can ferret out garbage and hype way more easily than before, thanks to the power of the inter webs...

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, I'm thinking that you are in "introspective land" more often than you care to admit. I certainly agree with that thought process. Do you want to be ordinary or extraordinary? Greatness is only achieved by working "outside the box"

I'll bring up a controversial topic (CT): I do know a lot of the answers to this CT. The AWA, Animal Welfare Act, does not protect cold blooded species, like fish or corals, unless they are considered exotic or endangered. If one seller has morals there are certainly many others that only consider the sale. Every one has to right to try and fail. Corals and fish are a renewable resource and a lot of countries depend on them for income. Etcetera, the list is long, so I'll digress here.

What CT am I talking about? Have you ever read a post where your first thought is oh no, everything is going to die. Oh my, how can you get this person to reconsider and do more research first?

An example of one of these posts is, I'm abbreviating: My tank has been cycled for two weeks, all my fish have died. Then the responses - "You'll have to leave it fallow for this many weeks." Then the OP's response, "Oh, I don't have a QT tank and I can't afford one right now." Then the next OP's response, "Oh well, I guess I can fill the tank with corals while I wait out the fallow period."

Oh my, Scott, have you got me riled now. (Not really, I'm pretty level headed.) Are most fish and coral dealers so obsessed with making a sale that they don't give a hoot as to where their products end up?

I know this isn't a new topic, but it certainly is a controversial one. I just wish there were more people that were more conscientious about the animals that they keep. But, to be fair, most irresponsible new reefers haven't a clue and we really can't hold them responsible for their ignorance.

I'm sure this is the reason that you are so forthcoming with the information you share. I know it is the main reason I am on this site trying to help others.

I hope this made a little sense and isn't just a ramble.

Love this stuff..Not a "ramble" at all...You bring up a great point. I'll hazard a guess that most of the better vendors here and elsewhere sincerely do care about where their corals end up. The problem is, in an online environment, it's not always easy to size up the abilities of the person purchasing the coral. If you talk to a reefer on the phone, you can get a pretty good idea. However, I've met plenty of reefers over the years who you think were just...well...not that good- and you see their tanks and the care they give their animals and it's like, "Woah! Can't judge a book by it's cover!"

We can go so far- in an attempt to share what we know, and then it's up to the consumer. We can and should offer input and guidance when we see an obvious train wreck ahead, but how much and how far it goes is probably on a "case by case" basis, really.

I also get what your saying about reading a post and getting that sinking feeling...It all goes back to our hobby "tribe" teaching the "right" way to do things...oh- that's controversial in and of itself, huh? I mean, we as a hobby culture do, to some extent, take care of our own- teach and even "self regulate" (the "Tang Police" on another forum are an example)...It may be HOW we do it that is the tricky part..Does anyone have the right- or obligation- to call out someone when they are headed for a disaster? I think it all comes down to the individual and his/her moral compass...Can go on and on...you've unlocked a great topic!

-Scott

Last edited:

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its kind of sad that talking about these topics is controversial and can lead to some major hate mail, you would think as adults we would be able to sit down and talk about these things rationally. Unless we can do this I think our hobby could be in trouble. Oh and for calling things master, ultra, grade A, rainbow, etc I wish some of the major vendors would get together and create some kind of normalized system for naming coral. This way when someone tried selling something as lets say a "Grade A acan" we could look at that system and know if it really is what they say it is. Side note, I mostly buy corals from vendors who just post good looking corals but each time I read these it makes me want to buy from UC just becasue you seem like a pretty awesome guy.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First,
thank you for talking about things like this. This makes me respect you and your business even more. I have been thinking a lot about this the past few days and as a reefer that is fairly new this time around I see that things are changing tremendously from what it used to be or at least in my eyes it is and I don't know much so i could be totally wrong.

This industry is supply and demand. The really nice looking corals are rare so the demand is high so the coral itself goes for a pretty penny. The ones that are not so hot are much cheaper and the industry does a good job at getting the shops to buy both because you really can't buy one without the other. This also is affecting the price tag. If us reefers didn't want the coral, the stores wouldn't buy it, the wholesalers wouldn't cherry pick it and the collectors would leave it alone. I am good with all of this!

I do believe though there needs to be some responsibility on the collectors, wholesalers and the shops part which lately i see going to the wayside far too often. The "hobby" is a cash cow to some respects now and the future looks grim. How many potential hobbyists are we scaring away from reefing due to inflated prices? I understand that when an ultra master A grade rainbow anything is purchased it is an investment by the retailer and that they also had to buy 4-8 other decent coral to go along with that and that they also have a ton of overhead. I don't see many shop owners driving Lambos and living the life, they are normally working a ton of hours and living an average life.

Acans are a favorite of mine and i always have the itch to buy more and more and more. I have a few rainbow colonies and several frags purchased from the "high end" retailers that name them. In some regard I understand some of the prices being charged per polyp on them because there is time put into these from them. Most colonies stayed in the system for quite a few months before they are offered to make sure color maintains and with that come added costs. Sure there should be a profit for cutting a colony and selling frags. What gets me is when us reefers want to purchase a colony (30+ heads) and we are charged $1200+. I have bought several super ultra nice grade A rainbow colonies with 50+ polyps for $400-$600 and to me that is reasonable knowing many of the costs involved.

I know I'm rambling because i have so many thoughts going through my head but when will everyone say enough is enough? I want to be clear, there are many good quality high end vendors on here that are great and do charge fair prices (even though some would tend to disagree). I have paid $350 for 1 polyp of an acan because i can't get a colony and I have paid $200 for a frag of 4 heads because I loved the colors and the colors have stayed exactly how they looked when purchased. I expect to pay more for named pieces(i told myself i wouldn't get into the names and i buckled).

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its kind of sad that talking about these topics is controversial and can lead to some major hate mail, you would think as adults we would be able to sit down and talk about these things rationally. Unless we can do this I think our hobby could be in trouble. Oh and for calling things master, ultra, grade A, rainbow, etc I wish some of the major vendors would get together and create some kind of normalized system for naming coral. This way when someone tried selling something as lets say a "Grade A acan" we could look at that system and know if it really is what they say it is. Side note, I mostly buy corals from vendors who just post good looking corals but each time I read these it makes me want to buy from UC just becasue you seem like a pretty awesome guy.

Thanks for the very kind words and interesting thoughts...There are many, many cool people in the hobby and the industry. The "hate mail" is from a very small amount of people...I guess they have what they feel are valid reasons- and we need healthy, constructive criticisms and dialogue.. The problem is, if we don't talk about tough stuff in the open, then those who step up are people like "Snorkel Bob", who have their own (IMHO) misguided opinions about our hobby and industry, and feel that they should somehow make us the scapegoat for the ocean's ills while pushing their own rather biased agenda. Our holy and industry don't have to see eye to eye on every topic, but we do need to make it known to the outside forces that seem to be against us that we are aware and concerned about the very same issues, and that we as a group take great pains to educate ourselves and discuss alternatives, options, and effects of this stuff amongst ourselves. We simply can't afford to keep stuff hidden form public view anymore, as the absence of our voice invites others with a far less supportive voice have the whole stage, using whatever means they feel are appropriate to sway a public that has no other viewpoint from which to garner an opinion.

Just my two cents...

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First,
thank you for talking about things like this. This makes me respect you and your business even more. I have been thinking a lot about this the past few days and as a reefer that is fairly new this time around I see that things are changing tremendously from what it used to be or at least in my eyes it is and I don't know much so i could be totally wrong.

This industry is supply and demand. The really nice looking corals are rare so the demand is high so the coral itself goes for a pretty penny. The ones that are not so hot are much cheaper and the industry does a good job at getting the shops to buy both because you really can't buy one without the other. This also is affecting the price tag. If us reefers didn't want the coral, the stores wouldn't buy it, the wholesalers wouldn't cherry pick it and the collectors would leave it alone. I am good with all of this!

I do believe though there needs to be some responsibility on the collectors, wholesalers and the shops part which lately i see going to the wayside far too often. The "hobby" is a cash cow to some respects now and the future looks grim. How many potential hobbyists are we scaring away from reefing due to inflated prices? I understand that when an ultra master A grade rainbow anything is purchased it is an investment by the retailer and that they also had to buy 4-8 other decent coral to go along with that and that they also have a ton of overhead. I don't see many shop owners driving Lambos and living the life, they are normally working a ton of hours and living an average life.

Acans are a favorite of mine and i always have the itch to buy more and more and more. I have a few rainbow colonies and several frags purchased from the "high end" retailers that name them. In some regard I understand some of the prices being charged per polyp on them because there is time put into these from them. Most colonies stayed in the system for quite a few months before they are offered to make sure color maintains and with that come added costs. Sure there should be a profit for cutting a colony and selling frags. What gets me is when us reefers want to purchase a colony (30+ heads) and we are charged $1200+. I have bought several super ultra nice grade A rainbow colonies with 50+ polyps for $400-$600 and to me that is reasonable knowing many of the costs involved.

I know I'm rambling because i have so many thoughts going through my head but when will everyone say enough is enough? I want to be clear, there are many good quality high end vendors on here that are great and do charge fair prices (even though some would tend to disagree). I have paid $350 for 1 polyp of an acan because i can't get a colony and I have paid $200 for a frag of 4 heads because I loved the colors and the colors have stayed exactly how they looked when purchased. I expect to pay more for named pieces(i told myself i wouldn't get into the names and i buckled).

Super interesting topic and great points...I think the realities are that these prices are based upon a mu;tiptoed of factors. To a vendor that doesn't bring in large quantities of corals regularly, the sad reality is that everything will cost more, because of customers, freight fees, etc. They must pass this on to the consumer somehow if they want to stay in business. Larger vendors operate on the same principle. Concepts like "landed cost" affect everything. And prices, by and large, are based upon the vendors costs...nothing new here. I am still trying to grasp things like why a 1/2" frag of something could cost so much...I guess my point of view, for most corals, is that, rather than cut up a single colony of something 1/2" at a time and sell it at $300 per, wouldn't it be better long term to cut frags and propagate more of them in your own system so you can get wider distribution and charge a fair price, before releasing them for sale? What's the rush? Exclusivity? Marketing cachet? Probably. But in the end, what will sustain the hobby, industry and wild reefs will not be the fresh cut "on demand" Acro at $300 per piece. What will sustain the industry is vendors aqua culturing hundreds of frags of desired species, creating more customers, more consumer demand, and much less pressure to chop corals off wild reefs to support the "LE" thirst. I'm not saying that there aren't valid reasons to charge big money for some stuff..I'm just trying to get a handle on the mind set that suggests that everything needs to be "named" and locked up as a global exclusive, when the sad reality is that there are probably many of the same thing out there in lots of dealer's task and raceways (sans photoshopping and hype)...Again, my opinion.

-Scott

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth^^^. If you cared you would speak up. As they say, "your money is where your heart is" or in this case your priorities.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of good point some so much so not sure what to say about them but as far as the ultra and high prices ,Ithink that goes back to supply and demand and more so cost and worth ,I have a handful of very expensive chalices and they are worth the cost to me, are they to everyone else probably not would some say its crazy to spend 500 or more for one oeye of a rainbow chalice probably but is it worth it to have something in my tank I never tire of looking at or watching the colors change as it grows to me it is, so as far as high pricing on some corals I don't think its crazy for a retailer to ask a high price for a coral that is rarely seen or available

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth^^^. If you cared you would speak up. As they say, "your money is where your heart is" or in this case your priorities.

Look, I'm not saying that just because someone doesn't actively go out there and fight for the hobby/industry that they don't care. Not everyone has time, inclination, or the ability to write. However, in this Twittered, social-media-savvy world, it's never been easier to have your voice heard. We all need to speak up in a way that is most comfortable for us, IMHO.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of good point some so much so not sure what to say about them but as far as the ultra and high prices ,Ithink that goes back to supply and demand and more so cost and worth ,I have a handful of very expensive chalices and they are worth the cost to me, are they to everyone else probably not would some say its crazy to spend 500 or more for one oeye of a rainbow chalice probably but is it worth it to have something in my tank I never tire of looking at or watching the colors change as it grows to me it is, so as far as high pricing on some corals I don't think its crazy for a retailer to ask a high price for a coral that is rarely seen or available

Believe me, I'm an unabashed capitalist, and I'm okay with someone charging and paying good money for what they feel is a worthy piece of coral. I just hope that today's consumers, with all of the resources at their disposal, go into these kinds of transactions with eyes wide open. Again, who am I to question this stuff? Just an individual with an opinion, not necessarily the correct one. I just like to figure out the thought behind some of the stuff I see and hear in this hobby...As a business person, I get it to some extent. I'm not going to give away my livelihood, but I can't feel good about charging an obscene price for something I know to be readily available and undeniably inexpensive, just because it's being hyped. Again, my opinion.

-Scott

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Scott, I LOVE discussions on controversial topics as you know and have for many years especially relating to the Aquarium and Sport Fishing Industries. Of all the negatives associated with the Internet and its rapid dispersement of myths or just plain mis-truths the 'bright side' is at with even greater speed it provides an outlet for more zealousness and emotional spitfire to these 'HOT Topics' which ignite some seriously entertaining sometimes educational and always eye opening content.

I have weighed in many times on the 'LE', 'Ultra' or 'Chop Shop' discussions on threads here and elsewhere and have come to peace with the fact that some people 'need' to have these named 'Collector' pieces which suits or satisfies there egos. And as long as it does not overly affect my own enjoyment of the Hobby really does not matter one way or another. For me, though I did have a few named pieces once they enter my system are mostly only what they were originally named by the Scientists that originally discovered or ID'd them as a different or new species. I guess in reality these are mostly based on egos for recognition sake as well but a whole other thread topic probably left for another day. For now my colonies of
Acropora youngi, A. millepora, A. verweyi or A. echinata are only that nothing more. And IMHO DO NOT NEED anyone's name in front of them to make them more valuable or desirable. Personally I do not even entertain the idea of purchasing any 'named' Corals and with just a little effort can most always find EXACTLY the same Coral elsewhere not named and for a reasonable price.

I do truly enjoy observing how uncomfortable or antagonistic some individuals get when confronted with truths or common sense approach apposing their spiels to own agendas. I would love a personal face to face or front row view with Snorkel Bob or any of Sea Sheppard's more radically outspoken frontmen to observe their reactions to my/PIJAC spokeman rebukes or challenges to their pointed propaganda. To quote a past girlfriend of mine "Love to engage in a battle of wits unless it's against an unarmed man".

Ultimately transparency will be the savior to our beloved Hobby showing the rest of the World that WE as Reefkeepers are more valuable as comrades than enemies in the battle to save the Oceans Wild Reefs.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Scott, I LOVE discussions on controversial topics as you know and have for many years especially relating to the Aquarium and Sport Fishing Industries. Of all the negatives associated with the Internet and its rapid dispersement of myths or just plain mis-truths the 'bright side' is at with even greater speed it provides an outlet for more zealousness and emotional spitfire to these 'HOT Topics' which ignite some seriously entertaining sometimes educational and always eye opening content.

I have weighed in many times on the 'LE', 'Ultra' or 'Chop Shop' discussions on threads here and elsewhere and have come to peace with the fact that some people 'need' to have these named 'Collector' pieces which suits or satisfies there egos. And as long as it does not overly affect my own enjoyment of the Hobby really does not matter one way or another. For me, though I did have a few named pieces once they enter my system are mostly only what they were originally named by the Scientists that originally discovered or ID'd them as a different or new species. I guess in reality these are mostly based on egos for recognition sake as well but a whole other thread topic probably left for another day. For now my colonies of
Acropora youngi, A. millepora, A. verweyi or A. echinata are only that nothing more. And IMHO DO NOT NEED anyone's name in front of them to make them more valuable or desirable. Personally I do not even entertain the idea of purchasing any 'named' Corals and with just a little effort can most always find EXACTLY the same Coral elsewhere not named and for a reasonable price.

I do truly enjoy observing how uncomfortable or antagonistic some individuals get when confronted with truths or common sense approach apposing their spiels to own agendas. I would love a personal face to face or front row view with Snorkel Bob or any of Sea Sheppard's more radically outspoken frontmen to observe their reactions to my/PIJAC spokeman rebukes or challenges to their pointed propaganda. To quote a past girlfriend of mine "Love to engage in a battle of wits unless it's against an unarmed man".

Ultimately transparency will be the savior to our beloved Hobby showing the rest of the World that WE as Reefkeepers are more valuable as comrades than enemies in the battle to save the Oceans Wild Reefs.

Cheers, Todd

Todd L. ladies and gents...The "Scribe of Seattle!" Well said, as usual.

:yo:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fair market value of an item is what a willing and able buyer is willing to pay a willing and able seller. That differs from the intrinsic value a person may place on the item, which is where preferences come in to play. So if a person is willing to pay $1,300 for that Master, Ultra, Super Duper Unique Scoly, then so be it.

"The question I ask is, why do some hobby subjects create such divisiveness? Why are we not “supposed†to discuss them? Or am I just not sleeping well these days and making a mountain out of a mole hill with this topic?"

To get to the gist of your original post/question, it is my opinion this is a societal issue more than anything, and quite honestly it scares me. With the advent of all the social media (myspace, yourspace, facebook, twitter, blogs and yes, these forums), I truly believe far too many people base their own self-worth on the response, or lack thereof, from their entries, tweets, or postings. If they are confronted in any manner, it is perceived as an affront to them personally. It escalates to the point they can no longer separate a healthy conversation, whether controversial or not, from the feeling of being attacked or of having their judgment questioned. It is at this point when things can quickly turn ugly, and as you put it, people get riled up.

This is of course my opinion and I promise you one thing…whether you agree, disagree, ignore it or respond negatively, I won’t take it personally!!!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fair market value of an item is what a willing and able buyer is willing to pay a willing and able seller. That differs from the intrinsic value a person may place on the item, which is where preferences come in to play. So if a person is willing to pay $1,300 for that Master, Ultra, Super Duper Unique Scoly, then so be it.

"The question I ask is, why do some hobby subjects create such divisiveness? Why are we not “supposed” to discuss them? Or am I just not sleeping well these days and making a mountain out of a mole hill with this topic?"

To get to the gist of your original post/question, it is my opinion this is a societal issue more than anything, and quite honestly it scares me. With the advent of all the social media (myspace, yourspace, facebook, twitter, blogs and yes, these forums), I truly believe far too many people base their own self-worth on the response, or lack thereof, from their entries, tweets, or postings. If they are confronted in any manner, it is perceived as an affront to them personally. It escalates to the point they can no longer separate a healthy conversation, whether controversial or not, from the feeling of being attacked or of having their judgment questioned. It is at this point when things can quickly turn ugly, and as you put it, people get riled up.

This is of course my opinion and I promise you one thing…whether you agree, disagree, ignore it or respond negatively, I won’t take it personally!!!

I agree with you very much! Well stated, and frighteningly true from a social standpoint. I agree that we are placing way too much psychological "currency" on the social media world ("likes", FB "friends" etc) to define our.selves...I find the whole dynamic pretty fascinating. I'm with you- I don't take it personally...The topic was brought up mainly for my on self-education...I learned long ago in life, as well as in this new business world- that, as one of my favorite authors states, "You only have so many - - - - s to give in this life, and you should use them wisely. I've learned not to give any to some people, and it's served me well in this business. People need to engage in the conversation more for the sake of discussing a topic, rather than for the sake of protecting their delicate egos, or attacking someone else's. I guess the protection of a keyboard and monitor emboldens some people...not sure. Again, better for those of us in the hobby to have this conversation that to have some external force who doesn't have our interests in mind do the talking...

-Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I was supposed to test cal, alk, etc "today" and it's 2am the next morning, so I don't really have time to read the responses as I usually do...but my two cents is that I trust you more for these write-ups and discussions that push people to think. Yeah, some are gonna hate it, but some of us actually love to learn and adjust our thinking XD

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back