A method to your madness? A look back at the "Berlin Method" and its impact on the hobby...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Method- “A particular form of procedure for accomplishing or approaching something, especially a systematic or established one.â€

Sitting around one night, I was looking at the sexy new equipment I’ve been accumulating for my new system, and I thought about some major trends and fads from over the years to see what impact they had on the hobby. How they impacted us and…for that matter…how they actually stuck around.

So, here we are, 3 decades into the reef aquarium hobby, and we’ve already gone through a number of evolutions in our equipment, technique, and philosophy. After a lifetime in the hobby, you see a lot of trends come and go. Fads and “new†ideas show up and subsequently vanish back into the mists of time. Some of these “fads†do stick around a while, becoming part of our “methodologyâ€, yet many quickly disappear after we move on to the next big thing.

evolution.jpg

Just like mankind- the hobby evolves continuously...

Or…they evolve, becoming known as “methods†in our hobby. While pondering all of the cool stuff that’s going on in the reef keeping hobby, I thought it worthwhile to review the “method†that has probably had the most impact on the “postmodern†reef aquarium hobby- The “Berlin Methodâ€-and how it has impacted almost everything we do in reef keeping to this day.

This methodology for reef keeping was originally developed in the 1970’s (yeah- you heard me!), but hit its stride in the early 1990’s, shortly after the maturation of the “first wave†of reef keeping hit. Peter Wilkens of the Berlin Marine Association developed his method, and it opened the door to success with stony corals in aquariums. It involved using live rock, live sand, removal of surface-active compounds through overflow boxes, strong water movement, protein skimming, and the use of granular activated carbon as a chemical filtration media. The method also included the addition of “kalkwasser†and trace elements for corals. We’re talking about a system that provided trace elements, chemical and biological filtration, and strong water movement…and it was originally developed before many of us were born!

overview.jpg

(From Spring and Delbeek)

The "Berlin Method" also espoused the use of a substrate- Wilkens actually advocated the use of course sand (like 5-10mm diameter) at about 1†of depth. I never could figure out if this was recommended because of the perceived biological advantages, or for buffering capacity? I suspect the latter, but if you ask 10 reef “historiansâ€, you’ll receive 10 different opinions on the subject. Of course, the accumulation of detritus was a big concern with the coarse stuff, and frequent siphoning was required. It’s interesting to note that, by the time this method arrived in the U.S., hobbyists were evolving it to utilize the really fine stuff (like 1mm grain size oolitic aragonite), or even forgoing substrate altogether.

The use of a surface overflow was an original feature of the 1986-vintage “Minireef†filtration systems that emerged when the modern reef craze hit the U.S. Dissolved organic compounds build up in actively-growing reef systems, and the surface skimmer was designed to remove them from the surface of the water. Since the accumulation of these compounds can inhibit oxygen exchange, the overflow box works perfectly to remove these substances. The thinnest layer of water has the highest concentration of these compounds, and that’s why large overflow boxes came into vogue.

Another cool thing that arose out of the “Berlin Method†was the use of strong water movement within the aquarium. Wilkins advocated like 10 times tank capacity per hour- strong flow for its time. With the introduction of more powerful and efficient propeller pumps, like Tunze, Vortech, Korallia, and the like, it’s totally normal to see flow rates of 50-60 times tank capacity per hour-or more, utilized in our reefs. This is a wonderful example of a need being filled by emerging technologies, and strong flow has been the standard of reef systems for decades.

EM_Vor_MP60_QD-650x650.jpg

Strong water movement has been advocated in the hobby since the introduction of the "Berlin Method." The technology has finally caught up with the concept!

Of course, the “Berlin Method†utilized a sump, which has become the “nexus of every modern reef aquarium. The protein skimmer (another essential piece of equipment utilized in the method) was located within the sump, where it operates efficiently. The heavy use of skimmers spurred another technological evolution, and numerous high-quality, purpose-built skimmers entered the market as a result.

Perhaps the most well-known component of the “Berlin Method†was the use of kalkwasser (that’s German for “limewaterâ€), also known as calcium hydroxide. “Kalk†was perhaps the coolest thing to emerge out of this method, because it literally set the foundation for coral growth. Since it was derived from limestone, it had other impurities, such as strontium and magnesium in trace amounts- both essential for growth of stony corals. Kalwasser was typically dripped in at the same rate as the evaporation of the system- not exactly the most precise way to dose something, but it worked! I always thought it a bit weird that the evaporation rate of your water would dictate the rate at which you supplemented this seemingly vital substance, and wouldn’t you know it- I was right!

kalkwa02.jpg

Kalkwasser: The literal foundation of the "Berlin Method."

Of course, no “method†would be complete without some controversy, right? And the “Berlin Method†had its own source of controversy- the addition of trace element solutions. It was known that stuff like, zinc, selenium, born, molybdenum. strontium, iodide, manganese, etc. were useful to corals, and various “solutions†were marketed- often with dubious consistency- to “add†these vital trace elements to the aquarium. This was rather crude, but sort of kick-stated the modern “additive†market, didn’t it? Remember all of those “all-in-one†supplements? Yup.

Amazing stuff, when you realize just how much of our modern methodology draws from the “Berlin Methodâ€- and how many developments and refinements arose from the adoption of the techniques developed and pioneered by Wilkens. As we look at things like “ULNSâ€, Zeovit, “Dutch Synthetic Reefkeepingâ€, “Triton Methodâ€, “Balling Methodâ€, etc., it’s useful to gain some context by looking at the common origins of many of these systems.

UC4-piece-millie-frag-pack-188.jpg

Lots of work has been done to make the maintenance and propagation of stony corals possible...

The purpose of this piece was not to provide a historical review of the “Berlin Method.†Rather, my point in examining this stuff is to gain a perspective from reef aquarium history of just how much our hobby has evolved, and how the things we know now and perhaps take for granted had their basis in concepts developed decades before. It’s very interesting to look at the rise, fall, and evolution of aquarium trends. I hope this little walk through hobby history has provoked you to think a bit about how we have evolved in the hobby and about how much more we have to learn.

By looking at the past, we can hopefully create a brighter future for ourselves and the animals we cherish. Who knows what the next “revolution†in reefkeeping will be and how it will evolve into a hobby mainstay–or not!

Just how many techniques do you use everyday in your reef keeping that evolved from the “Berlin Method?†I’m curious how you feel about where we are now versus where we came from, and what your thoughts are on the next iterations of reef keeping method!

Share, discuss…enlighten!

And, of course…

Stay wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My name is 'Ogg the Knuckle Dragger' and the Berlin Method is just too modern for me, so I use a slightly modified Lee Chin Eng 'Natural' method (water pump in lieu of the air pump/airstone) :)

Good read, again. I used to also wonder about whether adding all that pure, saturated Kalkwasser to compensate for evaporation was correct since the evaporation rate in a tank fluctuates with the temperature/seasons. But, it did work for what we now consider easy stony corals.

Fun fact is that the Convict Goby/Engineer Goby, (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) was often the fish of choice for the traditional Berlin Method tank since it has no problem burrowing continuously through rubble which suspends the detritus for mechanical removal.

Ralph -

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another FINE piece of work Scott and have trekked through it all since the beginning or the main introduction to the US back in late 70's while working for a prominent LFS. I initially jumped in neck deep into the "Berlin Method" in 1982 after meeting Mr. Martin Moe Jr at a Marine Aquarium Conference. Bringing home a small 15g Akvastabil Aquarium with lil 160-ish gph Eheim Power Sponge filters and macro algae covered LR with a few encrusting Corals I believe to have been Porites and Montipora species. For lighting only a single 'Daylight' T-12 and a predecessor to actinic a very purple colored T-8 out of Germany for a whopping 30 watts, though pretty awesome for the time. This first system was without a sump but I came back from the Conference with plans for one and was then on the 'Fast Train' to my long career as an avid DIY-er in this hobby by building my first overflow box and sump with external Little Giant chemical pump. Followed shortly by modifying all my other Marine aquariums over to reverse flow under gravel with what at the time was very complicated and high-tech plumbing including what essentially was nearly a coast-to-coast style overflow using 3" PVC pipe that was plumbed through top-back of aquarium that I had run across my tablesaw several hundred times to create the teethed openings.

Through the next couple of decades had fun just trying to keep up with the "Latest" trends....... SO MANY have come and gone. For the basic foundation equipment as in lighting like VHO, Metal Halide and T-5's then eventually to where I'm at now for past several years in LED tech. Skimmers from overly expensive somewhat effective early models of air driven to my new model Vertex of today and Yes! the water pumps or evolution there of in the Hobby over past 30+ years has been HUGE to say the least. From those lil Eheim's to Hagen powerheads/Maxijets to Hydor Koralia's to Tunze/Vortech/Jebao of today...... what a ride. The one piece of modern Reefkeeping technology that I've never used is a Calcium Reactor..... just have not ever gone down that road.... I guess from seeing to many disasters over the years with them being the culprit.... though in reality most likely Hobbyist error or lack of needed maintenance ???

Thanks for the 'trip' down Memory Lane my friend, and very much looking forward to the next chapter.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My name is 'Ogg the Knuckle Dragger' and the Berlin Method is just too modern for me, so I use a slightly modified Lee Chin Eng 'Natural' method (water pump in lieu of the air pump/airstone) :)

Good read, again. I used to also wonder about whether adding all that pure, saturated Kalkwasser to compensate for evaporation was correct since the evaporation rate in a tank fluctuates with the temperature/seasons. But, it did work for what we now consider easy stony corals.

Fun fact is that the Convict Goby/Engineer Goby, (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) was often the fish of choice for the traditional Berlin Method tank since it has no problem burrowing continuously through rubble which suspends the detritus for mechanical removal.

Ralph -

Exactly...kind of goes hand in hand with the shallow sand bed!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another FINE piece of work Scott and have trekked through it all since the beginning or the main introduction to the US back in late 70's while working for a prominent LFS. I initially jumped in neck deep into the "Berlin Method" in 1982 after meeting Mr. Martin Moe Jr at a Marine Aquarium Conference. Bringing home a small 15g Akvastabil Aquarium with lil 160-ish gph Eheim Power Sponge filters and macro algae covered LR with a few encrusting Corals I believe to have been Porites and Montipora species. For lighting only a single 'Daylight' T-12 and a predecessor to actinic a very purple colored T-8 out of Germany for a whopping 30 watts, though pretty awesome for the time. This first system was without a sump but I came back from the Conference with plans for one and was then on the 'Fast Train' to my long career as an avid DIY-er in this hobby by building my first overflow box and sump with external Little Giant chemical pump. Followed shortly by modifying all my other Marine aquariums over to reverse flow under gravel with what at the time was very complicated and high-tech plumbing including what essentially was nearly a coast-to-coast style overflow using 3" PVC pipe that was plumbed through top-back of aquarium that I had run across my tablesaw several hundred times to create the teethed openings.

Through the next couple of decades had fun just trying to keep up with the "Latest" trends....... SO MANY have come and gone. For the basic foundation equipment as in lighting like VHO, Metal Halide and T-5's then eventually to where I'm at now for past several years in LED tech. Skimmers from overly expensive somewhat effective early models of air driven to my new model Vertex of today and Yes! the water pumps or evolution there of in the Hobby over past 30+ years has been HUGE to say the least. From those lil Eheim's to Hagen powerheads/Maxijets to Hydor Koralia's to Tunze/Vortech/Jebao of today...... what a ride. The one piece of modern Reefkeeping technology that I've never used is a Calcium Reactor..... just have not ever gone down that road.... I guess from seeing to many disasters over the years with them being the culprit.... though in reality most likely Hobbyist error or lack of needed maintenance ???

Thanks for the 'trip' down Memory Lane my friend, and very much looking forward to the next chapter.

Cheers, Todd

I knew this one would be "Todd Bait", and that you'd have some cool insight into this stuff...Also hope Paul B. chimes in...The history of reef keeping is actually as interesting as the hobby itself...And Ralph actually brought up the fact that credit for the first known attempt at "reef keeping" would probably go to Lee Chin Eng back in like 1968 or something...It's really been since about 1986 that the "modern" era of reef keeping began...and look at the progress made..and the progress YET to be made...We're all still writing that chapter!

-Scott

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew this one would be "Todd Bait", and that you'd have some cool insight into this stuff...Also hope Paul B. chimes in...The history of reef keeping is actually as interesting as the hobby itself...And Ralph actually brought up the fact that credit for the first known attempt at "reef keeping" would probably go to Lee Chin Eng back in like 1968 or something...It's really been since about 1986 that the "modern" era of reef keeping began...and look at the progress made..and the progress YET to be made...We're all still writing that chapter!

-Scott

Yes, Lee Chin Eng is credited because he was the first to write and publish information about it, but the development of the method has been attributed to by Mr. Tan Soen Hway of Banguwangi, East Java, Indonesia ('The Reef Aquarium, Vol 3, pg 333, Spung/Delbeek).

However, what'll really blow your mind is a b/w pic of what we think of today as a 'reef tank' complete with assorted corals and a large pacific anemone taken back in 1930 at the Onrust Aquarium in Indonesia (see 'The Reef Aquarium, Vol 3, pg 336, Spung/Delbeek). Figuring that the tank was likely set up at least a year or two before the photo, that indicates the late 1920's or even earlier for the start of the reef keeping hobby :)

It all goes back a lot further than we tend to realize.

Ralph -

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting above info Ralph, busy busy but needed an interesting book to read for my lunch break today. I'm old school as well and have a decent Aquatics Library including the 3 volume set you mentioned above.

IMG_20141202_135151321.jpg

Cheers, Todd

IMG_20141202_135151321.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there Scott, History, my favorite subject. I don't have to read about it, because I was there when this hobby started in the US in 1971. I think it was on a Tuesday about 2:00 or 2:15 in the afternoon.
That is when I started my tank. When they first opened the bags of blue devils in Aquarium Stock Company in Manhattan a few blocks from the Trade Center. I wrote this article about the history: A Brief History of the Saltwater Aquarium Hobby

I remember Lee Chin Eng well and although I respected him and learned from him, he cheated a little as he was in Indonesia, His tanks were outside using sunlight and his NSW water supply was 5 feet away from his tanks as was his supply of wildlife. But he was a pioneer in the hobby as was Robert Straughn, my mentor. That man collected and kept everything in the fifties.
I remember the Jaubert systems, Berlin etc and had them all. Bob Goemans came to my home maybe 25 years ago to discuss live sand. My tank here Circa 1972 is still running and has never been emptied. I moved in 79 and took the tank with me where I transferred all of it into a 100 gallon reef which is still running. It still uses a reverse UG filter. I have spoken on the history of the hobby twice in two different aquarium clubs in California and DC.

I also keep my library current

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there Scott, History, my favorite subject. I don't have to read about it, because I was there when this hobby started in the US in 1971. I think it was on a Tuesday about 2:00 or 2:15 in the afternoon.
That is when I started my tank. When they first opened the bags of blue devils in Aquarium Stock Company in Manhattan a few blocks from the Trade Center. I wrote this article about the history: A Brief History of the Saltwater Aquarium Hobby

I remember Lee Chin Eng well and although I respected him and learned from him, he cheated a little as he was in Indonesia, His tanks were outside using sunlight and his NSW water supply was 5 feet away from his tanks as was his supply of wildlife. But he was a pioneer in the hobby as was Robert Straughn, my mentor. That man collected and kept everything in the fifties.
I remember the Jaubert systems, Berlin etc and had them all. Bob Goemans came to my home maybe 25 years ago to discuss live sand. My tank here Circa 1972 is still running and has never been emptied. I moved in 79 and took the tank with me where I transferred all of it into a 100 gallon reef which is still running. It still uses a reverse UG filter. I have spoken on the history of the hobby twice in two different aquarium clubs in California and DC.

I also keep my library current

AWESOME Paul, so glad to have your input here. You're in a very unique position to give personal experience throughout the entire history of the "Modern Reefkeeping" era...Super cool. Seems like the 1970's is sort of a lost era, where we hear little about what was going on here in the US with reefs...Would love to hear more from this era...Really neat stuff happened in the FW world during that time, but seemingly little discussed about that era in reefing!

Thanks again!

Scott

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I tell you Scott? I'm old. :yo:

I think it was easier then because there were no computers or internet so we had to learn everything on our own with no input from anyone. When the fish died, we learned something. I never knew anyone who kept salt water fish as we were very far and few between. I also never saw another salt tank except at that one store in Manhattan, then they started to pop up all over the place. Stores would put a giant sign in the window saying they have salt water fish and in all cases that meant they had a ten gallon tank with a few blue devils or dominoes in it. I helped start a few stores in New York with salt fish. I even filled my boat with salt water and drove it on a trailer to a store to fill his tanks from the sea. Copper had to be kept in the tank and copper test kits came out later so it was tricky. To much copper and the fish laid on the bottom, to little and they died. Now it is simple and I am really surprised that in over 40 years people still have problems with ich the same as we did then. I, eventually learned how to never have problems with it and have written about it but eventually I gave up because with the internet, there are just to many opinions and that starts arguements which is why I am writing a book.
Surprisingly one of the first fish imported were moorish Idols, not a real good first fish. Arrow crabs were the first invert along with hermits then coral banded shrimp and another bad choice, nudibranches. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Lee Chin Eng is credited because he was the first to write and publish information about it, but the development of the method has been attributed to by Mr. Tan Soen Hway of Banguwangi, East Java, Indonesia ('The Reef Aquarium, Vol 3, pg 333, Spung/Delbeek).

However, what'll really blow your mind is a b/w pic of what we think of today as a 'reef tank' complete with assorted corals and a large pacific anemone taken back in 1930 at the Onrust Aquarium in Indonesia (see 'The Reef Aquarium, Vol 3, pg 336, Spung/Delbeek). Figuring that the tank was likely set up at least a year or two before the photo, that indicates the late 1920's or even earlier for the start of the reef keeping hobby :)

It all goes back a lot further than we tend to realize.

Ralph -

I remember reading somewhere the ancient Romans used to keep giant green morays in huge sinks. They would feed the flesh of criminals to the morays as a punishment. I have no idea how true that is, but I did read it somewhere! Plus some of the ancient Asians kept koi fish. The hobby is technically thousands of years old! Although we are talking about modern reef keeping. Not ancient torture techniques and koi ponds :p

Great read Scott!! It would be awesome to see you go the other direction next time and write about some of the fads that didn't stick around. That would be too cool!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I tell you Scott? I'm old. :yo:

I think it was easier then because there were no computers or internet so we had to learn everything on our own with no input from anyone. When the fish died, we learned something. I never knew anyone who kept salt water fish as we were very far and few between. I also never saw another salt tank except at that one store in Manhattan, then they started to pop up all over the place. Stores would put a giant sign in the window saying they have salt water fish and in all cases that meant they had a ten gallon tank with a few blue devils or dominoes in it. I helped start a few stores in New York with salt fish. I even filled my boat with salt water and drove it on a trailer to a store to fill his tanks from the sea. Copper had to be kept in the tank and copper test kits came out later so it was tricky. To much copper and the fish laid on the bottom, to little and they died. Now it is simple and I am really surprised that in over 40 years people still have problems with ich the same as we did then. I, eventually learned how to never have problems with it and have written about it but eventually I gave up because with the internet, there are just to many opinions and that starts arguements which is why I am writing a book.
Surprisingly one of the first fish imported were moorish Idols, not a real good first fish. Arrow crabs were the first invert along with hermits then coral banded shrimp and another bad choice, nudibranches. :biggrin1:

Awesome POV, Paul...I think that the one thing that is still a constant is lack of patience as an undoer of success! The history of this hobby is replete with spectacular successes built upon following the basics, and an equal number (maybe greater) of spectacular disasters by doing the opposite. Innovators, rebellious though they may be seen, generally have a handle on the core basics skills honed over many decades of reef keeping by many who came before them.

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading somewhere the ancient Romans used to keep giant green morays in huge sinks. They would feed the flesh of criminals to the morays as a punishment. I have no idea how true that is, but I did read it somewhere! Plus some of the ancient Asians kept koi fish. The hobby is technically thousands of years old! Although we are talking about modern reef keeping. Not ancient torture techniques and koi ponds :p

Great read Scott!! It would be awesome to see you go the other direction next time and write about some of the fads that didn't stick around. That would be too cool!

That's a great idea, Tyler...I've kind of been compiling such a list; I'm sure I can cobble something together! Looking at what didn't stick around is just as interesting- and often controversial, as Paul will tell you- as the stuff that's trendy and hot!

-Scott

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People today want an easy, quick fix, they want all their fish to eat and thrive on flakes, they want to add cleaner shrimp or feed garlic to cure ich. They want to add a clean up crew to control algae or add some Magnesium to kill bryopsis. None of that stuff works and it persists because someone will add a snail and all the hair algae will disappear so they will say the snail ate it. It goes away on it's own but they won't listen to that, it was the snail, or the sea hare, or the emerald crab. I rarely go on those threads any more. Ich, hair algae, ground probes and quarantining are all off limits to me because of the arguments that came about through rumor after reading stories of what I just said. I can fix all of those things but they all require a little more than adding a pill or removing a light.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People today want an easy, quick fix, they want all their fish to eat and thrive on flakes, they want to add cleaner shrimp or feed garlic to cure ich. They want to add a clean up crew to control algae or add some Magnesium to kill bryopsis. None of that stuff works and it persists because someone will add a snail and all the hair algae will disappear so they will say the snail ate it. It goes away on it's own but they won't listen to that, it was the snail, or the sea hare, or the emerald crab. I rarely go on those threads any more. Ich, hair algae, ground probes and quarantining are all off limits to me because of the arguments that came about through rumor after reading stories of what I just said. I can fix all of those things but they all require a little more than adding a pill or removing a light.

Truer words seldom spoken...Thanks, Paul

Back