Creating a peaceful "neighborhood" for corals (Thoughts on coral aggression and stocking)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had another one of those fun "fish geek" weekends- back to back travel weeks, yikes! This time in Houston, at the terrific MARSH “Reef Currents†conference with Sanjay Joshi, myself, and Mark Callahan (AKA “Mr. Saltwater Tank..â€) doing the honors of presenting. Great crowd and event! BTW, my speaking schedule (which I though was not going to be quite as crazy as last year) is filling up quickly, so if your club or event was contemplating having me as a speaker, please let me know ASAP, so I can accommodate you. I’ve been contacted by several clubs about speaking during the late spring/early summer, but have not firmed up dates with at least two of them, so it’s first come, first served, LOL. I try to do as many as I can, but as we get towards late spring and early summer, events sometimes overlap- and with the shows (RAP, MACNA, NERAC, etc.), it gets crazy!

Anyways, Mark gave a cool talk about adding fishes to your aquarium…Sequence, procedures, etc. His talk and the ensuing discussions we had sort of germinated the idea in my had about coral addition. I mean, it seems like with coral, we add stuff “when we find itâ€, and we don’t spend the same amount of time thinking about the process as we do with fishes. It’s seems to me (at least, based on my own personal experience, the buying patterns of customers, and conversations I’ve had with other reefers) that the “sequence†by which we add corals to our reefs is based largely upon finding the right piece, which also encompasses constraints like budget, size, etc. In other words, the casual poll I took with my friends seem to indicate that we tend to have some rough idea of what we want, but that many of us actually make- gulp- “impulse†buys with coral!

system_DSC1002.jpg

With so many coral choices, the possibilities for success- and failure- are many!

I mean, this is not at all a bad thing- every single purchase for your reef doesn’t have to be the subject of an extensive procurement study or analysis. It’s just interesting how we make coral-purchasing and addition decisions. Is there merit to having a detailed plan of what you want to add to your tank? Is there any advantage to adding certain corals in a sequence of sorts? Well, I suppose you can say yes- and no- depending upon your point of view! (Gee, super helpful again, Fellman…LOL).

580_Image_DWP_select_committee.jpg

We don't need put each coral purchase before a committee for consideration, however...

For example, there ARE what I call “allelopathic considerationsâ€; i.e, adding corals that can engage in extensive “chemical warfare†battles with their neighbors/future neighbors. Corals like Acanthastrea, Fungia, Hydnophora, Lobophyllia, Favia, Sarcophyton, Galaxea, and many more, including Goniopora, Euphyllia, and even Discosoma, gorgonians, Echinophyllia, etc. can release chemical substances, or in the case of some- sweeper tentacles- that directly discourage the health and growth of their immediate neighbors. You need to consider this behavior when placing them in your reef, and I think it’s also smart to think about the sequence of placing them.

Contrary to what you might initially think, I believe it makes sense to add the nasty corals FIRST. Huh? Well, think about it. Adding the more aggressive corals gives you a rough idea where to place everything else! Physical “boundries†are something that we don’t often consider in coral placement in reef tanks. We love just placing things in densely and seeing them do their thing. The reality is that many corals will employ a “scorched earth†policy and lay down tissue, emit chemicals, deploy sweeper tentacles, and even release filament-like structures (Mesenterial filaments) to attack, discourage, and generally keep away neighbors, and you best get these guys settled first.

UC1andhalfinch-uc-super-orange-acan-echinata-frag-42-inventory-12.jpg

Beautiful, bold- and frighteningly aggressive...

Of course, some corals, such as certain Acanthastrea (A. echinata) comes to mind and many Faviids are downright nasty, and can attack corals several inches away. I don’t claim to be an expert on coral biology, so I cannot give you specific “distance to neighbor recommendations†for every coral out there. I can tell you that even a relatively small Faviid or Acan can negatively affect neighboring corals several inches away. I’ve seen it in our raceways. Certain chalice frags in our grout raceways will just fail to thrive, while most other corals in our 30-foot-long systems will seem to be doing okay. Upon investigation, you’ll inevitably find that someone placed them near groupings of Acan enchinata or some other chemically aggressive coral…It’s fascinating (and a little annoying, when you earn your living growing healthy corals!).

kn04.jpg

Not just for eating dinner...these filaments are nasty pieces of work!

Of course, some corals simply release toxic exudates into the water column (Sarcophyton) comes to mind, and this can become problematic for many neighbors in closed systems. These chemicals, called terpenoids, and the more specialized sarcophene, will discourage growth and general health of corals in reef aquariums. By stunting the growth of their neighbors, they can easily gain territory through “eminant domainâ€, and simply grow over the subordinate corals, gaining valuable space. Perhaps this release of seemingly invisible compounds into the water in a reef aquarium may explain, at least partially, why some corals simply fail to do well in reef tanks containing other corals. There are tradeoffs in the reef hobby, even among coral selection. In my opinion, you’d be wise to consider avoiding placement of potentially large soft corals, such as Sinularia and Sarcophyton, in systems intended to house significant collections of stony corals like Acropora, or the absolute playground weakling, the almost defenseless Montipora.

Still other corals discourage the growth of their neighbors by simply growing. For example, corals like the beloved weed, Xenia, and it’s friends Sympodium, Clavularia, and Zoanthus, can grow rapidly and overtake slower growing neighbors without needing to resort to their more powerful chemical weaponry! We all have experiences and stories about Xenia “taking over†a reef aquarium, and this is not something that comes as a surprise, given their explosive growth under the right circumstances. Even the lowliest of the low, Montipora, are capable of beating out slower-growing neighbors by simply doing what they do- growing. Think of the many reefs you've seen and reefers you talked to that have to regularly “prune†their M. capricornus because it’s shading everything below.

And finally, some corals will release mucus or other waste material as part of their normal physiological functions, and if these materials end up coming into contact with other corals, they can cause problems as well. What’s a reefer to do? Seems like everyone is out to get everyone else in a reef tank! That’s the sad reality, really. Corals are hardly “peaceful’ when we look at them in this light. And, with many of us spending big bucks on corals, we need to consider these interactions and issues when stocking our reefs. At the very least, some rudimentary stocking plan should be developed, taking into consideration the growth, known aggressiveness, and general behavior of corals.

4efc45205abc2.jpg

It looks so peaceful, but there's a lot more going on there than meets the eye.

Even in an all- Acropora system, you need to be careful in placing them, as these aggressive tendencies and overgrowth can and will result in some corals negatively affecting others. Monospecific (one species) systems are a good compromise, but you’d be dedicating a tank to just one species of coral- and you as a practicing reefer know how hard THAT would be to do!

Yeah, it’s a competitive world and you need to plan for this when stocking your tanks!

Of course, you can and should certainly move any coral that appears to be affected adversely by it’s neighbors in an established reef. Your corals can also benefit from the continuous use of chemical media, like activated carbon, Purgien, Poly Filter, etc. in “mixed reef†situations. These media can at least help remove some of the noxious exudates from the water, as can water changes or other nutrient export mechanisms.

In the end, the best way to reduce coral aggression is to plan well. Yup, you need to at least have some sort of stocking game plan before you start heading down to the LFS, club frag swap, or popping onto the online vendor websites. With a little planning, a fair amount of compromise, and some careful selection and placement, a thriving mixed reef is possible. The bottom line in all of this: DO a bit of homework, look before you leap, and make some observations of other hobbyists’ tanks while developing your game plan. The coral that you might save could be your own!

Let’s hear about your tales of coral aggression, stocking ideas, mishaps, recoveries, etc. We can all benefit from such sharing…

And of course….

Stay wet!

Regards,

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting topic! The basic rules to mitigate confrontation are all good, but one thing often not considered in enough detail IMO is placement. For example, my 'milktoast' Montipora setosa has gained a significant advantage over other more aggressive corals below it (more light to grow and the opportunity to spread and shade those down below).

In my experience corals that don't kill each other outright often end up in a 'truce' and form a demarcation zone. Or, they end up growing up, down and around each other. In what most would call a small 'mixed reef' tank (Shrooms, Zoas and Stonies..no Softies) I've had no noticeable alleleopathic issues in nearly 7 years (and I don't use any media), only a few full on physical altercations and have only lost one stony coral species due to direct competetion (M. undata). With time, many corals tend to tolerate each other's company and fiqure out that it isn't worth the energy expense to continuously fight full on. Many initial full blown battles just end up turning into slapping contests as time goes by :)

Having said all that, here is an exception where hobbyist intervention is certainly warranted (Lobo went bye-bye to the local LFS after this freaky incident!):

ScollyAttack1091314_zps2de97abd.jpg

ScollyAttack2091314_zpsac246e51.jpg

The purple Ricordia florida was digested, the orange Ricordia yuma survived...barely.

Ralph -

Last edited:

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are acans (primarily lordhowensis) chemically aggressive? Any more info there? Do they release toxins into the water? What corals do they affect?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And people give me grief for my Mono-species tank (Plus the Yellow Fiji Leather... I mean how could I give it up??). :lol:

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw this

[h=1]Creating a peaceful "neighborhood"[/h]
I thought it might be about how to post on RC without getting in a fight or called names. :crossedlips:

I'm actually not aware how to achieve the result you mentioned on that particular forum, so I definitely wouldn't be able to write that, LOL!:angel:

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are acans (primarily lordhowensis) chemically aggressive? Any more info there? Do they release toxins into the water? What corals do they affect?

Yes, they are quite aggressive, and you definitely need to put some thought into their placement!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting topic! The basic rules to mitigate confrontation are all good, but one thing often not considered in enough detail IMO is placement. For example, my 'milktoast' Montipora setosa has gained a significant advantage over other more aggressive corals below it (more light to grow and the opportunity to spread and shade those down below).

In my experience corals that don't kill each other outright often end up in a 'truce' and form a demarcation zone. Or, they end up growing up, down and around each other. In what most would call a small 'mixed reef' tank (Shrooms, Zoas and Stonies..no Softies) I've had no noticeable alleleopathic issues in nearly 7 years (and I don't use any media), only a few full on physical altercations and have only lost one stony coral species due to direct competetion (M. undata). With time, many corals tend to tolerate each other's company and fiqure out that it isn't worth the energy expense to continuously fight full on. Many initial full blown battles just end up turning into slapping contests as time goes by :)

Having said all that, here is an exception where hobbyist intervention is certainly warranted (Lobo went bye-bye to the local LFS after this freaky incident!):

ScollyAttack1091314_zps2de97abd.jpg

ScollyAttack2091314_zpsac246e51.jpg

The purple Ricordia florida was digested, the orange Ricordia yuma survived...barely.

Ralph -

Excellent pics and info, Ralph! Thanks for sharing!

-Scott

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
222625d1425310323-creating-peaceful-neighborhood-corals-thoughts-coral-aggression-stocking-uc1andhalfinch-uc-super-orange-acan-echinata-frag-42-inventory-12.jpg

My mother in law was just commenting tonight how cool that UC super orange acan looked in my tank. I told her "that's one bad mother". I put plenty of room between it and everything else. The first night in the tank and it was stretching out trying to blast another acan colony. Funny I was just talking to Scott today about a coral on my wish list. I tend to have an idea of the coral types I want (Blasto, chalice etc) and where I want to place them and then wait until I see something that is particularly striking to me. Then I have a spot already sort of picked out in the tank for it (of course the coral doesn't always agree with me about the spot I've picked out, but eventually we find a happy place). Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with a torch that is expanding quicker than I had expected. Moving it here and there, trying to gauge where the water flow is going to push the tentacles. It's part of the challenge of reefing you don't think about all the time, until you see your $200 scoly getting blasted by some inexpensive piece. I'd love to know of a resource for the chemical warfare side of this topic. As far as the echinata chemical attack, that's a new one on me and I'd love to be able to research that kind of stuff. Googling just gives you general "care" info.

Thanks Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of which, as it turns out one of the ones I thought was a duncan turned out to be a torch XD that got interesting for the neighbors fast!! I moved some things away from it but the way it's growing I may have to frag it down soon before it grows out enough to sting everything in the tank!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back