What is a "successful reefer?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, it’s been a while since I’ve written one of my “blogs about nothingâ€, as one detractor so succinctly described my writing style some time ago. So, drawing from last week’s experiences at Unique Corals, I was left with the memory of a particularly though-provoking convo that I thought I’d share with you.

The-marbles-were-created--012.jpg

What is the pinnacle of achievement, known as "success?"

On Wednesday afternoon, I found myself on the phone with a rather chatty customer (Hey, most of us reefers ARE super chatty- and there’s nothing at all wrong with that, right?), and he began by telling me that he was a successful reefer, and started rattling off a long list of hobby “accomplishmentsâ€, most of which started with phrases like “I was the guy that bought the _____________ MindWarp Psychedelic Chalice†or “…and I paid like $650 to get that 1/2†frag of the “Bombdiggity Neutron Blaster Acro from _______________.â€

Yeah, okay…you know where this is headed, right?

In between sketching stick figures on my legal pad, rifling through my zip lock of mixed berries in my lunch, and trying to google whatever the heck corals this guy was talking about, my mind started wandering…I know, I know. That’s not a very good thing to do when you’re in a customer service oriented business, but this could hardly be labeled a “conversation†in the traditional sense…Rather, it was one-way dissertation on this reefer’s hobby “achievements.†Now, if you know me, you realize that I’m the biggest cheerleader of every reefer, always looking for the positive in any reef keeping situation (“Okay, well all the Acros bleached out, but your Green Sinularia looks FABULOUS!â€). However, this guy gave me very little to work with, if you know what I mean.

italian-reef-tank-1.jpg

Successful? Or just another yawn-inducing tank of coral?

The one thing I did keep locking in on was his assertion that he’s a “successful†hobbyist. And of course, I started wondering just what that term actually means. I suppose it means a lot of things to a lot of people- and it’s absurdly subjective, isn’t it? I mean, to this guy, “successful†meant he won every E-Bay auction for ___________ highly photoshopped, obscenely-priced frags. He never mentioned that he grew such-and-such a coral from a frag to a giant colony, or that he managed to keep a Blueberry Gorgonian alive for over a year and a half, or that his Centropyge Angels breed regularly…ya' know, stuff that we would consider the “traditional†measure of success in the reef keeping world.

So, once my friend ended the call (I still haven’t figured out what he called about- I think he asked one question about the lighting we use in our facility before he meandered off rapidly into his “LEâ€-filled journey into his own world..I was just an ear to bend, I suppose), I thought long and hard about “successful†hobbyists that I know. I mean, the term “successful†is almost insulting to think about in this context. Who has the right-or the “powerâ€- to deem this guy successful and that one not? And what is reefing “successâ€, anyways?

-seasons1-8.jpg

Ahh, THESE are the people who determine what is "successful", right? No? Um...?

To some reefers, it’s about being able to have a great-looking, healthy display with rapidly-growing corals and happy fishes. To others, it’s about being able to keep that incredibly difficult coral alive. Some reefers, like our buddy the Meanderer, define success as acquiring stuff. Some folks define “success†in our world as building out the tank of their dreams…Still others think of “success†as being the winner of the “Tank of the Month/Week/Year/Decadeâ€, etc. award.

angel2.jpg

Is just acquiring the seemingly unobtainable "success?" Perhaps to some, it is. Genicanthus personatus.

I take a more cerebral view, and define success as the ability to derive enjoyment from the hobby in one way or another, and to share what I’ve learned (or screwed up, as is often the case) with fellow reefers.

But that’s just me. You probably have a totally different thought on the subject, and I’m curious.

My way of easing into the new week with you, my fellow geeks.

What do you define as “success†in our hobby, and what defines a “succesful reefer?â€

Discuss.

As always, thanks for stopping by, and thanks in advance for sharing. Stay enthused. Stay engaged.

And Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success to me is achieving the goals I set out for myself. Measuring success from the perspective of others often leads to pitfalls and one should stay grounded from them.

Lately, success for me has been how much better my new tank setup has been going compared to my last. The amount of knowledge I am gaining about how our oceans work is insane and quite humbling. Quite amazing how much information I have absorbed in my short 3 years in the hobby.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success is being happy with what's in your tank without having to run up your credit cards. Something I've failed at miserably. Lol

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
successful reefer Is someone learning something new everyday this hobby Is not set In stone .every tank Is different eco system

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My criteria for a successful reefer

-maintained there current tank for at least 3 years. I know many switch out because they "outgrow" their current tank due to success. Most of the time it's because they have filled it up with frags and just don't know when to say enough is enough. A full grown out mature reef in my eyes shows me the reefer has patience, understands their individual system, and consistently deliver the needs and wants of their tank.

I see too many reefers jump into this hobby with the candle lit at both ends flying high, getting the unique stuff redlining their tank and then poof their gone from a crash. It's like sprinting full speed at the start of a marathon sure you are beating everyone at the beginning but at the end where it counts you are no where to be found. A successful reefer can still come from this if they rebuild and learn from their mistakes

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Success can be measured in many ways in this hobby imo. If you have delicate fish ( experts only as they say) and you are able to keep them alive to a full life span in captivity is no different than growing an sps from a frag. so lps lovers are not as successful as sps lovers? My "successful" understanding in this hobby is how far you want to challenge the limits and what is the outcome of that challenge. Pls don't blast me on my thoughts

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I thought successful reefer was someone who could get top dollar for a coral because they stuck their name in front of it :) only kidding :) My wife would say once you start selling frags and your hobby can support your hobby your successful.

Last edited:

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-maintained there current tank for at least 3 years. I know many switch out because they "outgrow" their current tank due to success. Most of the time it's because they have filled it up with frags and just don't know when to say enough is enough. A full grown out mature reef in my eyes shows me the reefer has patience, understands their individual system, and consistently deliver the needs and wants of their tank.

I see too many reefers jump into this hobby with the candle lit at both ends flying high, getting the unique stuff redlining their tank and then poof their gone from a crash. It's like sprinting full speed at the start of a marathon sure you are beating everyone at the beginning but at the end where it counts you are no where to be found. A successful reefer can still come from this if they rebuild and learn from their mistakes
+1 :)

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success to me is a densely grown in tank with corals whose placement was thought out ahead of time. A lot of people's display tank looks more like a frag tank than a show piece. A tank shouldn't have to be appreciated through a macro lens.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally with you Scott. I've been at this for a long time, with success only being in the last 4 years or so. Lots of lessons learned along the way. Being able to sit in front of my tank in amazement every day is my number one definition of success. Being able to share what I've learned with others along the way is a close second. It always catches me by surprise just how much I get lulled into believing this is so simple until I try to explain it to a novice. Or an outsider!

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much agree with everyone's answers...

For me, success is measured in continually learning and moving forward in a fashion that keeps my reef healthy and growing. Yes, we all lose fish or corals, we all make mistakes... but I think that over time you learn from those losses and become wiser. My choices today have a lot more thought and research than my choices when I started. I have learned to say "Oooooooohhh... shiney!" but not buy impulse buys. That in itself is a success for some :)

Now if I can just get over wanting that bigger tank.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I

Very well said agreed

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty if you have a container filled with saltwater that has living, growing, healthy coral in it and when you look into it a smile appears on your face your a successful reefer. Everybody gets different things out of this hobby, some its for the challenge, some for the beauty, or the fame, the prestige, the money, the caring for something living, the list goes on and on. Who are we to judge who is successful? If the person gets more out of it than what they put in its a success in my book. When I was young I found a dog and I begged my parents to let me keep him. He was a mutt, I kept him outside, he reeked like a hunting dog, and was dumb as a box of rocks, but I cared for him, built him a pittiful house and kennel, fed him, cleaned up after him. Sure he always looked like he needed a hair cut, got the occasional tick, wasnt a 2000 dollar purebred that got manicures and baths every week. But, when I look back he was my best friend, some of my best memories were with him....was a not a successful dog owner? Who are we to decide who is successful in this hobby? A guy has 50k soaked up into a top notch tank, with top notch thriving coral that makes us all drool who spends every free second making sure every square inch of that tank is photographically perfect So he can call himself a successful reefer....I would call him something else. :)

Last edited:

srpsycho11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a member of several different hobbies, I have found success is measured in three different ways. The value of the collection, the size of the collection and the enjoyment the collection brings the collector. I also know its a quick ride to frustration town when you try to keep up with the Jones and go for value or size in your hobby. For me hobbies are for enjoyment. My most prized possessions are mostly likely worthless in the collector market but will never be for sale to me.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I see as a success is when a fish lives longer in captivity than it would have in the wild (due to predation, stress, circle of life, etc.).

If I lose a fish early on I see it as a failure. When a healthy, long-lived fish dies of old age I can be proud to see it off without much sorrow.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is my haven.
I love each and every living thing in there.
It's the best stress reliever and brings me such joy.
Raising a tiny frag and watching it morph is still amazing to me even after all these years.

ReefDVMs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success can be summed up with one word....."Life" the achievement of gaining and enjoying life that has flourished with quality in ones man made ecosystem.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey again, Scott. n_n I've been off the forum for a while due to having my hands full, but I still have my aquarium and love it as always. I haven't been down to take care of it this week so as usual I don't really know what I'll find, but things were going fairly well last I checked. Unfortunately the shortcake fell off its rock and died while I was gone, but the vermiculata seems to be doing well. The gorgonian and acan are doing well. I'm afraid my gonioporas are shot...just haven't been there enough to keep up with the feeding, which is disappointing. Seems I need to stick to the less-food-dependant corals for now.

Aaaanyway...my thoughts on being a successful reefer is keeping your animals safe and healthy. Buying new stuff is great, but if it dies, that doesn't sound like success to me :/

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back