Humble Beginnings- A first glimpse at the early phase of one of our show tanks...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like forever that we've been yapping about our "studio" in our warehouse, with a bunch of cool tanks and such. Well, with so much time devoted to the "real" part of our business (i.e.; taking care of our customers and growing coral), we have barely made progress on this, until recently. We are finally gaining momentum in this area, with the first of our 500 gallon show tanks getting out of the theoretical phase and into the initial 'scaping and stocking phases.

This is System 1, which is tied directly into Raceway #4, which gives this system an effective water volume of about 2,500 gallons. We are utilizing the Triton "method" on all of our raceways, so this system is effectively run off of the "method" as well. Lighting right now is a combination of halide and AI Prime/Kessil A360 lights for spot lighting, but will be migrating towards all Ecotech Radions in the next several weeks. The initial concept was a collaborative effort, but Jake has taken the ball and ran with it for stocking selection and tweaks to the 'scape". It's still an absolute work in progress, with a lot more to do. The concept on this is decidedly "mixed reef", with an emphasis on variety and demonstration of what one could do with many of the corals that we offer. Most of the pieces were selected right out of our raceway inventory, with a few "specimen" corals for accent. Almost everything in the system will be available for sale and fragging, with the exception of just a few pieces that we have a coral crush on! Fish population is basically traditional reef-type fishes, with the goal of creating a larger group of Watenabe Angelfish (Genicanthus watenabe) as the featured fish.

These are just simple quick and dirty cell phone pics...we'll have many more as this tank evolves...Just wanted to let those of you who asked that we haven't forgotten about it! Our next 500 gallon tank will be an all Acropora system and will be isolated on its own sump, etc. run via the Triton "method" as well...These "proof of concept" task are necessary for us to demonstrate the practical application of what we preach (of course, not everyone has a 2,000 gallon sump), and we ultimately have 4 large systems ready to be stocked in this facility. Each one will be a bit different, and will be (hopefully) inspiring and just plain fun!

IMG_0016-2.JPG

IMG_0017-2.JPG

Humble beginnings, but an important first step in showing the potential of what we do.

Enjoy!

Scott F.

fearyaks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if you have time to upload a close-up of those colonies you've mounted to the wall? That's a great idea!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back