Webcam setup

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be gone for a week coming up and have a spare webcam. I was thinking of setting it up on the tank so I can monitor it. Does anyone know how to have it up and running 24/7?

Thanks

Feathers&Frags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how to do the webcam set-up but I have seen people use Drop-cams for this purpose. My thought on doing this while on vacation: why??? I would constantly be watching/looking at my tank and be worried sick. And if something happened it would ruin my entire time away. Honestly, if it were me, I would find a trusted friend and have them watch my tank and send pictures.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah assign a port on your router for it and then enable port forwarding to that port.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which webcam you have, but most of them that I have seen come with some method to view them over the web. I have two D-Link cameras and they allow that almost automatically. It was very easy to set up and is simple to access.

As far as not being distracted on vacation, I look at it the other way around. I have a RKE controller and if it sends me a message telling me that something is wrong, being able to look at my system can be a real help in figuring out what to do. I travel a lot for work and the camera has helped me guide my wife to fixing what needs attention. It is also nice just to be able to look at my tank while I am gone.

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which webcam you have, but most of them that I have seen come with some method to view them over the web. I have two D-Link cameras and they allow that almost automatically. It was very easy to set up and is simple to access.

As far as not being distracted on vacation, I look at it the other way around. I have a RKE controller and if it sends me a message telling me that something is wrong, being able to look at my system can be a real help in figuring out what to do. I travel a lot for work and the camera has helped me guide my wife to fixing what needs attention. It is also nice just to be able to look at my tank while I am gone.

Thanks

I have a Logitech HD C310. Does it have software to do this? I have used it to skype and Google hangout. But can't do that without someone at the camera to initiate it. I'm trying to have it setup where I can do it anytime remotely.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an IP camera to do what you want. You can check the software page on logitech to see if it can do something for you but I doubt it. Logitech - Get Immersed in the Digital World! would be a good place to start

Alternatively you could use something like team viewer and remote to a machine the webcam is hooked up to and launch it from there. It would look really crappy though.

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it working. I was going to use Skype but couldn't due to it being restricted at the office. I however got it working with a Google hangout. I set up the work computer that had the webcam as the main computer hosting a hangout with a 'circle' of friends. I included my personal email in the friend list. Once you start it as long as the host is still connected you can log in and out as much as you want. Thank you all for your help!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back