WTB overflow box

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for an overflow box to start my sump on my 75 gallon tank. I have a 20 gallon tank for my sump.

Let me know what ya have available

Thx
Caleb

schan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eshopp a dual overflow box that I had on my 75 gallon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417322452.192028.jpg

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to overflow boxes. With double do I have to have two pumps? How much you want them?

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet I'm interested in the dual box.

I'm new to sump / plumbing. I made my own sump out of a 20 gallon and I have a mag drive pump. I'll need help doing the plumbing if anyone wants to volunteer their time I would appreciate it.

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works. What is the overflow box rating. My pump is for 700 gph but I think I have a few others.

schan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a ball valve on the overflows and that will allow you to limit the amount of overflow to match the return

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont want to put valves on the overflow. You put a valve on the line FROM the pump and up to the tank. Flow down to the sump will be based on the flow going up into the tank. Think of it this way... if your tank is full to the very top and you pour five gallons of water into it, you will have 5 gallons spill out....not 10.

By using the two drains from the overflow, all it will do is allow a higher flow rate, and as mentioned, add a little security in case on clogs, but that's pretty rare. I normally put sponges in the tank side of the overflow to help quiten it down. It also blocks any large debris from getting through. Most importantly though, it helps stop bubbles from getting up into the U pipe. As air builds in the top of the pipe, it reduces flow rate, and can lead to overflowing the tank. This is why some people will put an aqualifter on them at the top to suck out any air that accumulates.

BTW, I have a dual box, with a hose for each. It needs a good cleaning, but is in good operational condition. I could sell it for $55.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cale I am not super experienced with the plumbing but would love some on the job training. Plumbing isn't really that complicated so I'm sure we could do it. Let me know. I'm free most Saturday's. Plus I could check out those power heads. Let me know!

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Lifereef Filter Systems before you buy anything.When the power goes off theres will restart on there own and you don't have to choke them down they will return what ever you put in them I had one of these when I had my none drilled 90gal. and it does exactly what they advertise.They are guarented not to ever run over check out there web site they have been building these and other systems for years may be pricey but never any horor stories,cheapper then new floors and having the wife mad at you,well worth the money at least givem a look....:roll:

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back