Most Hard To Keep Zoa/Paly List

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to put together a list of the most HARD TO KEEP zoa/palys that we know of today. Now I realize that these will vary some, but with enough people chiming in we can really put together a list that will be close and that will be beneficial to many people. I for one am tired of waisting money on melting palys! :D

So I want you to come up with say 5-10 or more that you think should make the HARD TO KEEP list. I have another thread here of the MOST EASY TO KEEP: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?p=120305#post120305

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also please repeat a zoa or paly that you agree with. When we get a nice list together we will do a site wide vote for the top 10 or 20.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PPE's (purple people eaters)
Redwines
Vols Orange
Caribbean Blue
Armageddon

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. True Armageddon (I have tried 15-20 frags that did well for a few weeks but ended up melting..)
2. Darth Mauls and the like
3. Carribean morphs
4. PE types.. most seem to go to cycles where there would be a die off, followed by an explosive growth...

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Marv can you specifically nae some PE morphs by what we call them as hobbiest?

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most assuredly it is the tiny zoas like Happy Samhain. I have imported several colonies and each time I make the frags by the time I get the last few sold they are melted away. Hate em!!!!!! But they are pretty

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Marv can you specifically nae some PE morphs by what we call them as hobbiest?

PPE, PPRPE, GPE, RPE, PRPE, Desert Fox PE, Milky Way PE... I should be getting some OPE's soon.. I'm pretty sure they will behave the same way... you kinda get used to them after a while... just gotta make sure you have duplicates to always have a frag... :)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most assuredly it is the tiny zoas like Happy Samhain. I have imported several colonies and each time I make the frags by the time I get the last few sold they are melted away. Hate em!!!!!! But they are pretty

yes, I forgot about these guys.. they are notorious to melting also... :)

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had no problem at all keeping my Happy Samhains. I recently moved everything over into a new tank, and these guys have had a growth explosion! They are nowhere near the fastest growing zoanthid but I haven't had a problem with them melting. I'll post a pic later tonight.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely on the true Armageddon bandwagon... I've had bad luck with Red Wines and Chameleon People Charmers, too.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-armageddons fo shizzle

-anything from the Caribbean

-tiny ones like Azurel's samhains

PEs just take sooooooooooooo long to grow, but i've had relatively good success on the whole :|

Zach

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep PE's to save my life.

My Armageddons died off

My NGs aren't very impressive either, but I wonder if a different batch would work better for me.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no trouble with any palys and zoas except my Happy Samhains. I think they just like lower light. I had a frag with a bunch of polyps and they just started dying on me until I moved them into the shade. Then I had like 5 polyps for months. Couldn't get them to grow.

Here is a pic of the frag when I first got it.
CHR_6365.jpg

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can keep the PPE but they don't grow, sometimes the close up for weeks at a time then open up again. It's taken me almost a yr. to grow from 3 to 6 polyps. After this last closing they seem to be sprouting new polyps... Can't figure it out.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any trouble with any PE zoos. They grow slowly but I have never had any meltdowns with them. I totally 100% agree on any Caribbean zoos. They are extremely tempermental. The nice gorgeous blue ones most of all.

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most PE are tricky though i don't have bad luck with Greenstardust or Rpe..any caribbeans..and armeggedons

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back