Chemiclean the key to healthy zoas

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i read at a few places chemi clean is super healthy for zoas. Is this true? my zoas havnt opened in a while and thought maybe ill try it.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't running carbon try that. When my zoas don't open up I change my carbon, within a few days they are back to normal..

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard it...all chemiclean is is a type of antibiotic that clears up a Cyano bacteria outbreak..I would dip all of your zoas in something like revive and then possibly add some amino acids or iodine to the tank if they still do not open (that is assuming you have been able to keep them before?)

tbert33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before adding the majority of corals into my tank i dip them but i dip them in a homemade dip which is 1ml of a household antiseptic called Dettol per 1 litre of salt water.

Not sure if you can get this over in the states but thos is what it looks like..

tbert33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry missed the picture...

uploadfromtaptalk1395502413722.jpg

It smells nearly exactly the same as coral Rx and it costs about £1 per half litre and will last an age.

Loads of reefers im the UK use this method.

Just put the coral into the dip and blast it a couple of times with a turkey baster. I tend to leave my corals in the dip no more than 90 seconds then i rinse the whole coral in fresh salty water.

Works for me and others.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having cyano bacteria in your tank is healthy for your zoas. A three day lights out period kills it as effectively as Chemiclean. Don't use a chemical as a crutch.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having cyano bacteria in your tank is healthy for your zoas. A three day lights out period kills it as effectively as Chemiclean. Don't use a chemical as a crutch.

Totally disagree with this statement, which is just your opinion and not based on facts. A crutch is a tool that is used to assist when something is "broken" thus giving the time needed to heal ;)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with barbianj, I'd not use any chems if it wasn't absolutely necessary, thats a fact.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally disagree with this statement, which is just your opinion and not based on facts. A crutch is a tool that is used to assist when something is "broken" thus giving the time needed to heal ;)

Lol. Take out the crutch part, and do you still disagree with the first two statements?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Take out the crutch part, and do you still disagree with the first two statements?

I still disagree-lol. 3 day lights out doesn't always work. Turn lights back on an taa daaa it's back! Chemiclean is a medicine to cure a bacterial infection. It is not a band aide either. It is not covering up a wound. Cyanobacteria needs 2 things to thrive. Light & bacterium. Kill the bacterium (Chemiclean) and it's gone. Kill the lights & it becomes dormant but is still present, but at a lesser degree.

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very skeptical about using chemiclean, but when my tank in the foyer at work got overrun with cyano, I figured I'd give it a shot (work pays for everything in it so what did I have to lose?). Stuff worked awesome! I would set only use it as a last resort, but it got rid of all of it in two days and it has been back in months.

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't knock it till you try it, I've used it and zoas that were looking as if they were closing or dying bounced back within a few days after using chemiclean. I have loads of SPS and none were affected. The only pain is the skimmer overflowing for a week but that's no biggie, just have the drain of the skimmer cup go into the filter sock. It has worked wonders for me and am planning on using it on a regular maintenance interval. Don't know what it does or how it works, just know that all my corals look way better after just one day of treatment.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Don't knock it till you try it, I've used it and zoas that were looking as if they were closing or dying bounced back within a few days after using chemiclean. I have loads of SPS and none were affected. The only pain is the skimmer overflowing for a week but that's no biggie, just have the drain of the skimmer cup go into the filter sock. It has worked wonders for me and am planning on using it on a regular maintenance interval. Don't know what it does or how it works, just know that all my corals look way better after just one day of treatment.

Do you use it as a additive? How much and how often?
Ok, people use chemiclean on there tanks all the time, but the op said that he read that it was used as a dip.
How much chemiclean? How much water? Saltwater? Freshwater?
Do you dip it in the liquid? Powder?

Back