Red stringy stuff and zoas dying... HELP!!!!

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I noticed one of my zoanthid rocks started dying, I dipped it in Revive but it didn't help, today I noticed this "stringy stuff" growing everywhere and I dont know what it is. Does anybody know what this is and how to kill it?

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_3293.jpg
    IMG_3293.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 312

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, did you by chance change your lighting or have a sudden drop in nutrients? Could be the zoas expelling zoox and it getting caught in your other corals due to not having random flow.

Also provide all things you dose and your parameters.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this before a long while ago, dipped in 25% hydrogen peroxide and 75% tank water for 5 min blowing off zoas with a turkey baster and then rinsed in tank water then back into tank. All stopped and zoas returned to growing again after a few days. Worked like a charm. It will also spread to other zoas if not treated. I'm not sure why it happens or what it is but it worked out good for me.

OP
OP
Mgoc

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, did you by chance change your lighting or have a sudden drop in nutrients? Could be the zoas expelling zoox and it getting caught in your other corals due to not having random flow.

Lighting has not changed and water flow is very random, I have a 2 wavemakers, one of them comes from the return pump plus an couple of circulation pumps.

I do not dose anything since I have no need for it. Water parameters are:

Ammonia= 0ppm
Nitrites an nitrates both at zero
Phosphates undetectable by the API cheap test kit
Calcium at 420
Mg at 1380
Kh= 10

OP
OP
Mgoc

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this before a long while ago, dipped in 25% hydrogen peroxide and 75% tank water for 5 min blowing off zoas with a turkey baster and then rinsed in tank water then back into tank. All stopped and zoas returned to growing again after a few days. Worked like a charm. It will also spread to other zoas if not treated. I'm not sure why it happens or what it is but it worked out good for me.
The problem is that I dont think they are producing this substance since it is everywhere in the tank

Stomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And those last zoas are dying from something else. Dino's won't melt your zoas like that.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And those last zoas are dying from something else. Dino's won't melt your zoas like that.

That's what I was talking about with the dip. Not sure why it happens but have seen it before.

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those brown thing all over your tank then you could try Chemiclean to remove it. Dip too much will have negative effect on zoas

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those brown thing all over your tank then you could try Chemiclean to remove it. Dip too much will have negative effect on zoas

Very true you never want to dip to much, one dip should hopefully neutralize what is happening. Then let them heal. It will take time but I think it's the best effort you can take to try to keep them from rotting away.

Stomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed peroxide daily for 3 weeks to get rid of mine (I have had it a lot of times in the past). Peroxide was the only thing that finally worked without breaking down and starting over. I also did a few day lights out. I dosed 2mL for every 10g's. 1 mL never worked until I bumped it to 2 mL. I now do a quick freshwater dip of all my new additions. I rather not do the peroxide dip. Freshwater kills Dino's on contact, so I dip for like 20 seconds after maki the polyps close up.

dweeble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just changed my lighting and some of my Zoas are emitting long stringy brown stuff. I tried googling zoox to see what it is. My emerald crab just devoured most of it in the time it took to type this up :).

Back