Skimming for zoanthids

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many here that keep some pretty nice zoanthids. Do you use heavy protein skimming? It always seems that if I skim 7 days a week my zoanthids do not open as full. If I miss a week skimming I notice growth speeds up but I start getting unwanted algae growths.
Curious is those that are growing zoanthids with success are skimming heavily.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 20g i currently have a great variety of SPS, LPS, zoa's, and rics. I find a balanced skimming schedule, 4 days a week, is essential to keep all of my corals happy. IMO

Not skimming produces very dirty water as we all know and over skimming can choke an organism of its source of food (filter feeding), which is nutrients and essential elements. I have not found success with heavy skimming. IME

Steve

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a decent collection of zoas and plays and they are always open and happy....and i run my skimmer 24/7

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the reason I ask is I want to upgrade to an Aqua C for the zoanthid tank but not if it harms my zoanthids. This is pretty much all that is in my 50 tub. I am probably going to still get the skimmer though. Maybe not run it but a few days a week.
Just always trying to get the best out of them.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An upgrade is always good. Just play around with it for the first month and don't push it too much (24/7). If you find your running into problems with your prized zoa's, then just cut it back a bit. Good luck!! :)

mltascp

Alabama Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run aqua c (24/7) on all of our tanks and have a nice collection of zoa and palys that seen to be happy and spreading.

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run aqua c (24/7) on all of our tanks and have a nice collection of zoa and palys that seen to be happy and spreading.

i have an eclectic runtime of my skimmer. as i'm sure you know, zoa's and paly's appreciate "dirtier" water.

For a while, i skimmed every day. I had a frag of some bam bams that wouldn't sprout babies for nothing. Well, tried a mesh mod on my nw110 that gave me fits, and i ended up not skimming every day. the bam bams went nuts! even growing down and through the eggcrate.

maybe there was something else in the equation, i don't know.

on a side note: I've been sure to skim constantly for the last week or so, as my bristleworms have been..... well....... having nocturnal emissions when it's not noc....... eeewww!!

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I over skim for my tank, I run a MSX160 on about 37g DT + 20g sump. My tank tends to have lots of waste since teh skimmate is very brown and thick. My zoa frags have gone from 4-5 polyp frags to now 15+ poly mini colonies in about 3-4 week timeframe.

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my skimmer 24/7 its a coralife so i can easily adjust it but i keep it on a low level and everything seems to be happy and spreading

TROYREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go both ways. I have read that zoas like dirty water. I have zoas in my 24gal nano and no skimmer. they are doing well and always open. And also have them in my 180gal with skimmer 24/7 and they also do well.

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend locally who runs a tiny skimmer on his 120 and his zoas look great.

I run an Orca 250 fully modified on my 90 24/7 and my zoas look great as well. My personal opinion is I have the best luck with zoas in a moderate but not high flow area with good lighting. I personally don't think skimming is a big piece of the puzzle with zoas as long as you have good water quality.

Just my 2 cents.

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do any skimming and all my zoas and palys seem fine.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the answers. Basically about a yea and nay answer. Maybe a poll would have been better, but I think I will try some heavy skimming with plenty of feedings and lighting for a month and see how it goes.
Hopefully the new skimmer won't be too much.

IMG_1123.jpg

Last edited:
Back