Zoa and paly growth help

sweat044

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help. Lately I've been buying frags. I hate the look of frag plugs. I want them to grow on the rock and look natural? Thoughts ideas? I have a 29 gallon biocube running a 120 watt evo above. Also do I need to feed them?

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to try more light and feed them reef roids. I'm running250 watt mh over a 29 gallon. Be careful what you wish for. I'm having to get rid of a bunch of palys and zoas because of too much growth. They are extremely hard to get off rocks.

Poolman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just cut them off the frag plugs and either glue them to the rock or to a piece of rubble and then glue that piece to the rock. Fish poo is a great food for zoas.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just cut them off the frag plugs and either glue them to the rock or to a piece of rubble and then glue that piece to the rock. Fish poo is a great food for zoas.

I've seen where many people have difficulty doing this without causing damage to the coral. In the accounts I've read, this usually ends in the frag dying. Do you know of a way that might minimize the damage to the zoa or paly?

My advice would be to try and grow them out, or buy the frag from individuals who will glue them to a piece of of live rock rubble or shell for you instead of buying them on frag plugs.

Last edited:

Poolman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fragged thousands of zoas over the last 6 years. The only time I have trouble is if the zoa is prone to melting anyways.
I use a heavy knife and scrape under them the best I can. If you have the money buy a griphon saw and cut the frag plug.

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fragged thousands of zoas over the last 6 years. The only time I have trouble is if the zoa is prone to melting anyways.
I use a heavy knife and scrape under them the best I can. If you have the money buy a griphon saw and cut the frag plug.
++
Just chop off the plug (bottom of the frag) and glue that onto the rock. Soon the zoa/paly will overtake the frag and rock.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
++
Just chop off the plug (bottom of the frag) and glue that onto the rock. Soon the zoa/paly will overtake the frag and rock.

+1 just cut the bottom of the frag plug. Scrapping zoas is not very good unless you are a pro like poolguy.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take them off the plug if I don't want it in a particular area an example is my Rastas

image.jpg

You can see 2 polyps and 2 babies while plugged I simply remove like stated above with a knife(getting under the glue or whatever is holding the polyps to the disc) then just added more glue to the bottom and

image.jpg

I understand these are bad pics and the one here I actually just took with an iPhone and the Rastas aren't open but! You see there has been growth! The polyp count is around 10

Anyway I'll take another pic in 30 or so mins when they are open

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually hate the look but the ome time i cut a zoa off it died i tried leaving one on and its closed and.hasnt open.up since yet my anemone is living and.very.healthy all perams are fine

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful tho... I've split smaller 2-3 pound rocks... ended up smashing it to bits, then glue frags to bits of live rock so it was kinda a win/win

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take rock out to drill if possible.... I've drilled rock in the tank... (long masonry bit obviously).... it will cloud the hell outta ur water. It's dust, it clears after a while with no harm to rest of the tank

digitaledge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy BRS Bulk Dry Live Rock Rubble then cut the stem off the plug and glue it to a piece of rubble. It then attaches really well to my current rockwork in the tank. The ZOA's or pallys then grow out over the plug which you cant see plug anymore. Because they don't grow on my main rock work I can keep them in check by thinning out by fragging. Also move around the tank if need be.

OP
OP
S

sweat044

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140811_001859.jpg

Drill holes in rock with masonry bit.... then when it grows out u can cut the plug out for a friend... the stump didn't make it but u get the idea

What does a masonry bit look like and what size? Also if I take the rock out and drill will it cause any issues in my tank?

leadsinker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a exacto knife and try to scrape off gel glue with coral. Carefully lift zoa mat off plug. carefull with palytoxins.
It's fairly easy

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt drill holes in my rock. Just me. But rinse the rock in rodi before putting it in ur tank so no fragments are left floatinf

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back