Zoa Dip - Hydrogen Peroxide?

na1paj

Zoanthid Nutter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I've been dipping zoas using Marvin's formula for as long as I can remember... but I've been reading up on people using Hydrogen Peroxide.
I want to know what difference is between Hydrogen Peroxide and Iodine dips... Rumor says that HP is the only thing that gets rid of nudi eggs too. And it also seems like HP is more effective on fungus?
Any ideas?

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used hydrogen peroxide dips on some of my zoas when they started to show signs of fungus growth and it cleared them up pretty quickly.

jamirlima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my zoos are not opening up so I dipped Marine melafix but did nothing. I moved couple of them to a different tank with higher placement and more flow and they opened up in few minutes. I was thinking some bugs must be bothering them but i think they needed more light and flow.

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Hydrogen Peroxide for years and years to dip my zoas. I use what ever water the zoas are in and then slowly add hydrogen peroxide until you see bubbles forming around the base of the zoas. Let the bubble for about 5 minutes, take a small art paint brush, about 1/2" wide should do and gently use it to rub between the polyps. Then use a turkey baster to shoot a stream of water at them. Take them out and dip them into a MILD solution of Lugols and tank water and return to an area of the tank with good but not direct flow. They can be dipped every other day for a week. It can be followed up with a 2 or 3 minute dip in Furan 2 if desired. After a week of dipping wait a full week before you think of dipping again. And that's it. I've had amazing results with this dip, especially if your zoas are having a bacterial problem.

OP
OP
na1paj

na1paj

Zoanthid Nutter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so then, what's the difference between using HP and Furan2? furan2 clears fungus right? does HP give better results than using only iodine and furan2? What's the chemistry behind it? both HP and iodine have antibacterial characteristics...

Titan$

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used HP with awesome results. It does seem though once they have been dipped, they need to be placed in a good flow area in the tank. I personally would use furan2 if you are fighting zoapox because it works great and does a good job.

MISFITKID

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of the peroxide dip before, Thanks...I will give it a try next time I need to dip.

Any problems? I thought you were not supposed to dip some palys? Well, I guess that was a fresh/iodine dip...

MISFITKID

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, has this been tried on zoapox? I did not like the Furan2 dip, I also should have used it earlier.,

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxine and Iodine and it does wonders. If that dont work I dip the coral in Liquamycin which is an injectible broad sprectum antibiotic. This antibiotic is used for live stock and can be purchased at Tractor Supply very cheaply.

OP
OP
na1paj

na1paj

Zoanthid Nutter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CVS Walgreen, etc.
I tried it for the first time the other day. The polyps have bubbles in them...
so far it's alright..

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just after reading the thread a few days back, I noticed that my purple hornets appeared to have a fungus on them. I quickly did a hydrogen peroxide dip and then a rinse in tank water and iodine. They looked much better the next day. However I noticed some white spots again and redipped them the same way, but added some selcon to the water as well. That was a few days ago and everything is looking good. They have yet to open up but the dip definitely worked.

evilc66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using hydrogen peroxide recently to try an kill off some bryopsis that has been growing on some frags. Fortunately it's contained to the frag racks, so it's easy to deal with.

I used hydrogen peroxide in my freshwater tank to get rid of some thread algae and it worked very well. After picking the majority of the bryonpsis off the frags, I do a straight dip of hydrogen peroxide for 10-15 seconds, then rinse in tank water. ticks the algea off, but never seems to kill it completely (turns white). Makes it easier for crabs and snails to go after it though. None of the zoas seem to be affected by this, even though they can be a little grumpy for a day.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Hydrogen Peroxide for years and years to dip my zoas. I use what ever water the zoas are in and then slowly add hydrogen peroxide until you see bubbles forming around the base of the zoas. Let the bubble for about 5 minutes, take a small art paint brush, about 1/2" wide should do and gently use it to rub between the polyps. Then use a turkey baster to shoot a stream of water at them. Take them out and dip them into a MILD solution of Lugols and tank water and return to an area of the tank with good but not direct flow. They can be dipped every other day for a week. It can be followed up with a 2 or 3 minute dip in Furan 2 if desired. After a week of dipping wait a full week before you think of dipping again. And that's it. I've had amazing results with this dip, especially if your zoas are having a bacterial problem.

great method.

I'll go into detail about how we do it up here in Toronto;

I am a BIG proponent of using peroxide as a means to disinfect colonies of zoas and palys. More so, I use peroxide as a preventative measure when acquiring new pieces, regardless of whether they show signs of disease of not.

I use a ratio of 1:10 (peroxide: RO+DI water). The colony will sit in the solution for at least 5 to 10 minutes (lots of bubbles will form). The colony is then given one full day of rest (low light, and medium, indirect flow) and the dip is done again. This will go on for maybe 2 to 3 dips, all within the span of a week.

IMO, there's no need to get down and dirty with a paint brush or tweezers....the peroxide solution reaches all these parts, and then some.....plus a quick shake of the colony in a separate container will dislodge most crap stuck in the deep reaches of the coenechyme.

Lugol's, by contrast, is much more deadly when NOT properly administered, thus I ONLY use it when I deem the peroxide to be ineffective (due to a serious outbreak or injury). That being said, I rarely use Lugol's; peroxide has worked WONDERS for me just on it's own.

HTH

Zach

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never heard of Coral Revive....but FWIW, Peroxide, Lugol's, TMPCC and Furan2 are the most effective at battling any bacterial or fungal outbreaks.

Zach.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back