Paly's - Can they get Zoanthid Eating Nudibranch's / Spiders or are just Zoanthids affected by Nudi'

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Paly's get Eaten by Zoanthid Eating Nudibranch's / Spiders or are just Zoanthids affected by Nudi's / Spiders?

After all it is called Zoanthid Eating Nudibranch's / Spiders and not Paly Eating Nudibranch's / Spiders.

I have seen many pictures of Zoanthids getting Eaten by Zoanthid Eating Nudi's /Spiders but have never seen or Heard of any Paly's affected by Zoanthid Eating Nudibranch's / Spiders.

But that is not to say that they are Immune to it.

That is why I ask.

Last edited:

ScottyMcReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make it simple, yes. I've seen it many times. Im not going to get all scientific lol, but they are all in the order zoantharia.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually many/most of the corals we commonly call "palys" are not palythoa at all...they're zoas (just bigger variety)

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True palys such as grandis or protopalythoa (e.g. captain america) are not preyed upon by nudibranchs.

The more commonly purchased Zoanthus sociatus (e.g. rasta) and Zoanthus gigantus (e.g. utter chaos) are.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True palys such as grandis or protopalythoa (e.g. captain america) are not preyed upon by nudibranchs.

The more commonly purchased Zoanthus sociatus (e.g. rasta) and Zoanthus gigantus (e.g. utter chaos) are.

So the Paly's that can eat Mysis Shrimp are unaffected then.

Ex. Captain America, Green Implosian, Nuclear Greens, Purple Deaths, Pink and Golds.

What about the other Paly's?

Ex. Blondies, Gobstoppers, Armor of Gods, Purple People Eaters, Sunny D's, Candy Apple Red's, Electric Oompa Loompa's, Pink Hippo/Chuckies Bride, Sour Apple, etc.

Can those all be eatedn by Nudi's or Spiders?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about POX.

Can Some or All of the Paly's I mentioned above get Zoa POX?

Or are they Immune?

It seems that Paly's are much much easier to keep for me than Zoanthids.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Familiarize yourself with the differences between the polyp types:

Zoanthus sociatus: (typically smaller, single colored skirt)[nudis-yes, pox-yes, fungus-yes]
odseptoxicshock_1024x1024.jpg

Zoanthus gigantus: (typically larger, plump, with striped or speckled skirt)[nudis-yes, pox-yes, fungus-yes]
odseptyreeorange_1024x1024.jpg

Protopaly: (trumpet shaped, small skirt, often incorporates sand into body structure)[nudis-no, pox-no, fungus-no]
captainamericax_1024x1024.jpg

Palythoa grandis: (larger than protos with thicker polyp skin)[nudis-no, pox-no, fungus-no]
odjan2grandis_zpsba9e89c5.jpg

Zoanthus gigantus "PE" subtype: (large robust polyps with neon green mouth and 'watermelon' body pattern)[nudis-no, pox-no, fungus-yes]
dingdangx_1024x1024.jpg

Sorry I haven't had much experience with zoa spiders or sundial snails. Those typically fall off during dipping and quarantine. However, I did battle nudis some time ago. :)

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zoanthus sociatus: (typically smaller, single colored skirt)[nudis-yes, pox-yes, fungus-yes]

Zoanthus gigantus: (typically larger, plump, with striped or speckled skirt)[nudis-yes, pox-yes, fungus-yes]

Protopaly: (trumpet shaped, small skirt, often incorporates sand into body structure)[nudis-no, pox-no, fungus-no]

Palythoa grandis: (larger than protos with thicker polyp skin)[nudis-no, pox-no, fungus-no]

Zoanthus gigantus "PE" subtype: (large robust polyps with neon green mouth and 'watermelon' body pattern)[nudis-no, pox-no, fungus-yes]
dingdangx_1024x1024.jpg

Sorry I haven't had much experience with zoa spiders or sundial snails. Those typically fall off during dipping and quarantine. However, I did battle nudis some time ago. :)
Great post, thanks for the step by step.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dingdangx_1024x1024.jpg

Zoanthus gigantus

That would include:

Gobstoppers
Armor of Gods
Sunny D's
Candy Apple Red's

Am I correct on that?

If that is true then why do people call the ones I mentioned Paly's and not Zoanthids?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are ProtoPaly's immune to Nudi's, Pox, and Fungus?

Is it because they have a much Stronger Paly Toxin?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are ProtoPaly's immune to Nudi's, Pox, and Fungus?

Is it because they have a much Stronger Paly Toxin?

Well, I don't like eggplant but that doesn't mean that eggplant is immune to me. Rather than being immune, palythoa sp. are not on the nudis menu. Remember that nudibranchs have VERY specific prey.

Studies have shown that the only palythoa with significant amounts of palytoxin to be P. heliodiscus

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't like eggplant but that doesn't mean that eggplant is immune to me. Rather than being immune, palythoa sp. are not on the nudis menu. Remember that nudibranchs have VERY specific prey.

Studies have shown that the only palythoa with significant amounts of palytoxin to be P. heliodiscus

I assume that Purple Deaths are P. heliodiscus then since they Killed my Tank.

I also have heard of Texas Trash killing many tanks.

What are some of the popular P. heliodiscus in the Hobby so I can know to never ever get them.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are making assumptions...

I would assume that purple death are NOT toxic. Being a very popular coral, we would hear reports of accidental poisonings all the time.

Palytoxin is one of the most potent neurotoxins in the natural world. If you just get it on your hands or in your eyes you might live, but once the toxin is in your bloodstream then you are dead within an hour. This could occur through a cut or inhalation.

Also, I'm curious and could you please explain how you've concluded that a paly "killed your tank".

Protopalys (nuke green, etc.) may be misclassified according to this article.

P. heliodiscus is an ugly gray paly. This one is from Hawaii. (Remember this myth?) Comparing photos, it does not appear to be the same as 'Texas Trash' i.e. Cammiethoas which was classified as a protopalythoa.
protopalythoa-6.jpg

Green button polyps= P. mutuki

This article is a good primer on identification.

This person reports to have been poisoned by P. toxica.

The only picture I could find of P. toxica. If anyone can find a pic that's confirmed to be a correct ID, please post it!
20130306061338.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are making assumptions...

I would assume that purple death are NOT toxic. Being a very popular coral, we would hear reports of accidental poisonings all the time.

Palytoxin is one of the most potent neurotoxins in the natural world. If you just get it on your hands or in your eyes you might live, but once the toxin is in your bloodstream then you are dead within an hour. This could occur through a cut or inhalation.

Also, I'm curious and could you please explain how you've concluded that a paly "killed your tank".

Protopalys (nuke green, etc.) may be misclassified according to this article.

P. heliodiscus is an ugly gray paly. This one is from Hawaii. (Remember this myth?) Comparing photos, it does not appear to be the same as 'Texas Trash' i.e. Cammiethoas which was classified as a protopalythoa.
protopalythoa-6.jpg

Green button polyps= P. mutuki

This article is a good primer on identification.

This person reports to have been poisoned by P. toxica.

The only picture I could find of P. toxica. If anyone can find a pic that's confirmed to be a correct ID, please post it!
20130306061338.jpg

Beacuse every time I would do Water Changes All my Corals would get very very stressed (Except the Paly's which would be immune to Paly Toxin).

I had a big rock of purple death's (Couple Hundred).

I pour the water back into the tank over the power head but the Paly's were right under the rock and the water went right over them they didn't like that.

After a couple of weeks of this I realized it was the Paly's and poured water in the other side and it stopped happening.

Then I cut up the rock they were on to sell them off.

Now that really really ****** them off.

This time the tank got cloudy and I actually got ammonia.

All my Hammers and Frogspawn Died (about 1,000 worth).

I finally threw out the stupid Paly's and tank is doing great.

I have talked to many people that nuked their tanks from texas trash specifically.

One person bought a frag and dumped the water into the tank.

Next day everything was dead.

So Moral of the Story - Be very very careful when it comes to Paly's and don't **** them off.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your lost coral. Unless you can point to a lab analysis that proves protopalythoa ala 'purple death' does in fact contain palytoxin, I will remain dubious. More likely you released a pocket of ammonia that was trapped inside that rock and your tank didn't have the biological filtration to counter it.

Protopalys and Grandis palys do exude a slime when disturbed. That's why it's always a good idea to rinse before reintroducing them back into the tank after fragging.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a few different polyps that will drip purple goo when I frag them. I assumed it was palytoxin, maybe I'm wrong. These polyps seem to be zoanthids.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your lost coral. Unless you can point to a lab analysis that proves protopalythoa ala 'purple death' does in fact contain palytoxin, I will remain dubious. More likely you released a pocket of ammonia that was trapped inside that rock and your tank didn't have the biological filtration to counter it.

Protopalys and Grandis palys do exude a slime when disturbed. That's why it's always a good idea to rinse before reintroducing them back into the tank after fragging.

All the big words gave me a headache. But great info. Thanks

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, Global.

Curious if anyone has witnessed disease that effects palys specifically. Suckers seem to be immune to just about everything.

Back