Invasive Palys

Devin R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some invasive trash Palys growing on some rocks. I need some ideas on how to get rid of them, hopefully as easy as possible. I would prefer not to take the rocks out of the tank, but it's a must then I guess I can figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used kalk paste to do exactly that.

to mfinn's point, make up a kalk slurry/paste. Then grab an extra empty syringe and plop it right on their mouth! let it sit and try not to get it anywhere else. Then they should melt away...

It make sake a couple whacks at it... at least in my xp it did.

good luck!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong or not this worked for me....Using tweezers I grabbed the offending Paly as close to the rock as possible and gently peeled them off the rock. More often than not several came off at once. As they form a mat. They do release a brown substance but it never seemed to bother anything in my tank.

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do be careful if mechanically removing them. Depending on the variety that substance they release can have varying amount of palytoxin in it that can wipe out your whole tank and/or make you seriously ill. I'm speaking from experience. Treat these with respect.

OP
OP
D

Devin R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everybody that has replied so far! So many different ways, I think I'll try the safest first and use the Kalk paste, any other suggestions are still welcome I'd love to hear what's worked for others :)

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apstasia X . they love to eat it and it kills first time. No harm to the tank. Worked for me everytime.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chisel the rock under the polyp mat to get most of what I want gone.

Be careful in kalkpasting or killing too much polyps at a time. Not just the zoa toxin issue but depeding on amount of kalkpast compared to tank size could affect parameters.

Chisling under the zoa mat ensures all are gone and not damaging the polyps to make them release anything. just a thought.

boosted_msp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say get rid of the rock. I almost killed a family of 5 and a cat by just ripping them off the rock.

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the rock and toss it outside for a week or so, give it a good wash/ bleaching then cure in a covered no light tub for a couple weeks.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flathead screw driver, stainless steel chisel etc... for softer rock, exacto knife

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've fought them for years on foundation rock that can't be removed. I've kept them more or less in check but can't eliminate them. My lethal injection of choice is straight muriatic acid (HCl) but even that leaves pieces that regrow. And attempting to kill more than a few at a time, even running carbon, will severely stress and damage some sps such as stylophora, montipora, and seriatopora, although not acros. I learned this the first time by killing off half my sps.

I'm beginning to resort to biological controls. Per experts nothing eats the really toxic ones. But some corals can sting them. Surprisingly plain old blue mushrooms work the best. I am encircling the paly colonies with the mushrooms which spread inward and very slowly eliminate the palys. I have time ...

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using kalk paste for clove polyps. I know not really the danger level with palys and their toxins but Just wanted to say what I do.
I have a syringe with a pointy plastic tip that works great. Turn off all pumps while applying and it will stay there for days depending on the spot.
I have resorted to putting on a mask and snorkel.. raising my lights and putting part of my body in the tank to get into the back part of my tank. lol.
If at all possible I would take the rock out and kill/remove them outside of the tank. I'm not sure if they will regrow with just some flesh left on the rocks? but I am also using a majano wand to melt some areas of clove polyps. I mainly use that for just a few that pop up here and there. It does work.
I'm determined to rid these things so I feel your pain.

Last edited:

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been touched on here, but let me reiterate the importance of this issue. Those paly's contain palytoxin, which is among the most potent toxins in THE WORLD. DO NOT handle them casually. If you're going to attempt to remove them, it should be done outside of the tank and in full safety gear (gloves, goggles, respirator). That said, you're flirting with disaster trying to save the rock... if you successfully remove the palys, something like your skimmer can send the toxin airborne and everyone in proximity can fall ill. Taking the rock out and curing it runs the same risk. Whatever you choose, don't boil the rock! My 2 cents is at $7.99/lb for live rock, even if it's a large piece, throwing away $40/$50 worth of LR is far less costly than co-pays, hospital bills, or losing a loved-one. If it were me, I'd toss it and start over.

CT Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fought an unsuccessful battle with these things for years, using all the above (except tweezing). I'm with reggaedrummin....best to remove the rock if you can and replace it.

Back