Space monster vs. Pink galaxy/Rose nebula

cbrennan4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like more and more lately that when I was trying to find a space monster zoa in my area(San Francisco Bay Area) that I kept running into a pink galaxy/rose nebula mislabeled as them. I don't blame people because they are similar but I had to go through a number of different reefers to find the real thing. Just wondering if anyone else has been running into this and figured I could post some pics for comparison to help people. I actually just had a friend last week that was really excited about getting a good deal on what he thought were space monsters and they turned out to be pink galaxy/rose nebula.

here's a pic of the Rose nebula/Pink galaxy on the left and Space monster on the right
20141020_190647-1_zps8dbb04fe.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You know, I think I may have run into something similar trying to get Strawberry Wines.
I bought frags from 2 different sources. The centers were close but the skirts were all wrong.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a morph that I can instantly recognize as a rose nebula/pink galaxy vs a space monster. It's almost day and night for me. But when I get asked how to tell... it's so hard to describe because they're both sparkly, pink, and have green skirts. And then when I start trying to describe the difference I start getting confused myself... LOL.

These are Rose Nebulas, straight from ARC:
Rose%20Nebulas.jpg

And these are space monsters:
Screenshot_2014-09-07-22-23-57-1_zps7wxgnlnl.png

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, are space monsters rare? I see them all over the place. Just too pricey for me right now.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per this comparison,twinkle pink stars on the rose nebula. The tips of the skirts look different too. Could this be a lighting difference/ angle of shot maybe? Are we looking at the same zoa? I had what Josh sold me as tyree space monsters, they looked sparkly like the rose nebulas pictured above, although not as large. I have failed with space monster frags x 2. Md light, med current. Any suggestions appreciated.

OP
OP
cbrennan4

cbrennan4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the easiest way to tell them apart is the mouth. On the spacemonster, it has a bright white mouth that the rose nebula doesn't have.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original Pink Nebs I got back in the day were all tiniy and remained smal ( zoa sized ) compared to the SMs I got from Gonzo remained typical paly size about larger than dime sized compared to Nebs that were eraser head sized.

Last edited:

Merith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this problem a lot in my area as well. A good amount, at least for me falls back on the vendors. I picked up some "space monsters" at a vendor in the area and they turned out to be rose nebula. They are beautiful none the less but I still would have bought them if they were correctly labeled instead of being passed off as space monsters.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back