Starting Zoa Frag Tank and have a few questions.

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using a 3x2' 8" deep tray with sump. There will be no other livestock other than zoas.

-I will have a lot of live rock, do I need a skimmer? Plan on doing a 20% water change every 2 weeks like my main system.
-Will I need to dose something to keep alk up or is using IO reef crystals enough? I can easy just add kalk to my ato.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do fine with just water changes on a zoa specific tank. Using a skimmer probably isn't necessary, but I would check nitrates before a water change. What are you going to use as nutrition for your zoas. They do like a lot of light and you're going to have to have some kind of food - phytoplankton for them. They certainly won't do well in very clean water.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get a tang, hermits and snails to control algae and at least 1 wrasse to control pests. Also a mandarin. You won't need a skimmer for the first 5-6 months but after that usually it's needed.

Ep3n3wp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get a tang, hermits and snails to control algae and at least 1 wrasse to control pests. Also a mandarin. You won't need a skimmer for the first 5-6 months but after that usually it's needed.
+1 on the live stock idea.. I'm about to fire up a new frag this week and have similar plans with livestock in it

OP
OP
ValorG

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do fine with just water changes on a zoa specific tank. Using a skimmer probably isn't necessary, but I would check nitrates before a water change. What are you going to use as nutrition for your zoas. They do like a lot of light and you're going to have to have some kind of food - phytoplankton for them. They certainly won't do well in very clean water.

Well I was actually thinking of putting in some of my aquarium water into my frag tank whenever I do water changes. I feed heavily in my DT.

OP
OP
ValorG

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... well if livestock is a must, then i will have to invest in a skimmer then. Thank you!

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're light on livestock skimmer is not necessary... Especially in a zoa only

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are guys saying that zoos do not do good in clean water? Do they need be fed, is feeding of the fish not enough wastes to feed?

Last edited:

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are guys saying that zoos do not do good in clean water? Do they need be fed, is feeding of the fish not enough wastes to feed?

I think zoas adapt to most tanks. I've seen them do great on super clean tanks and dumps like my tank. But generally they do better on tanks with .05+ phosphates.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running gfo and gac so is this going to be a Issue?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay but if my zoos die I am coming to Florida and we will have a talk. lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back