Zoanthid lighting

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are all stretching upwards, skinny stalkish. They may be looking for more light.
If they are closed up more, I would assume the opposite. The problem with that, is that it could be other things keeping them closed up as well.

Are you experiencing something in particular?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the heads are open but some are closed

ok, any more detail you can give? Pictures may also be of great help. The ones that are open, are they looking healthy? I'll have colonies that most will be open, but some will stay closed, then maybe the next day or the day after they are open again.

What kind of lighting, timing, placement, nearby corals, fish that may nip? Have you watched them after a few hours of lights out to see if anything comes out and aggravates them?
Has anything changed in your tank recently?

Details are your friend, my friend :bigsmile:
There are so many possibilities that without some more details, we're shooting in the internet dark here.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a pic
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1416869692.912904.jpg

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, any more detail you can give? Pictures may also be of great help. The ones that are open, are they looking healthy? I'll have colonies that most will be open, but some will stay closed, then maybe the next day or the day after they are open again.

What kind of lighting, timing, placement, nearby corals, fish that may nip? Have you watched them after a few hours of lights out to see if anything comes out and aggravates them?
Has anything changed in your tank recently?

Details are your friend, my friend :bigsmile:
There are so many possibilities that without some more details, we're shooting in the internet dark here.

And no i havent noticed anything

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty healthy to me...

Something could have irritated the ones that are closed up. How long have they been closed up for?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty healthy to me...

Something could have irritated the ones that are closed up. How long have they been closed up for?

+1. Only other thing I would say would be to possibly try lightly blowing them off with a turkey baster or something similar. Settled detritus can irritate zoas and can accumulate in a colony.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got them yesterday? Sit back and relax, they'll all be out and happy soon!

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that the majority of them are out after one day is a great sign of health and they are adjusting. Some of the problem children... they just take some convincing.

This stuff happens to different types of my zoas for no (apparent) reason. If you see a change where more and more are closing up, that's when I would start wondering more and watching more.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this frag for a few months. I just got home and snapped a pic for you. You can see that there are a few in there that are closed up. I'm not worried, the rest look healthy (to me) so, I'm not going to mess with him.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416876555847.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416876555847.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 438
OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this frag for a few months. I just got home and snapped a pic for you. You can see that there are a few in there that are closed up. I'm not worried, the rest look healthy (to me) so, I'm not going to mess with him.

Are they reaching for light now
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1416933144.983424.jpg

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO. just let them set and acclimate. From what I have found common zoas like these are pretty tolerate to just about any light you toss at them. Other experts will likely chime in...Here are some photos that MAY help.

While they are not the subject of this photo, the zoas against the back wall about where the ruler is pointing.. they are reaching.
20141030_210541.jpg

as compared to these which are not.

2014-07-31173721.jpg

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO. just let them set and acclimate. From what I have found common zoas like these are pretty tolerate to just about any light you toss at them. Other experts will likely chime in...Here are some photos that MAY help.

While they are not the subject of this photo, the zoas against the back wall about where the ruler is pointing.. they are reaching.
20141030_210541.jpg

2014-07-31173721.jpg

They where open more yesterday

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your zoas are blowpops, and they are acting like mine, which are healthy as ever.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20141030_210541.jpg

2014-07-31173721.jpg

My only question is why where they open yesterday and half open today

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back