Paly having problems

Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed a paly in distress. It looks like it is melting? I was having this problem with my zoas, but it seemed the palys were above any problems until now. Also there two weird anemones there, too. What causes palys to do this?

Attachments

• 1416954677812.jpg
    1416954677812.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 184

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on the cause of the paly problem but the anemone looks like a majano

OP
OP
Carmen

Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking, too. Do you kill the majanos like you do aptasia? Are they worse than aptasia?

OP
OP
Carmen

Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear from people who know why the paly is looking bad. Also, fishroomlady said the anemone looks like a majano. What's the best way to get rid of them?

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tell us more... When did this start? what changes have you done? What lighting are using? what are the parameters?

OP
OP
Carmen

Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change on Monday. I noticed the problem on Wednesday. I am in the middle of remodeling, and all my fish equipment is scattered. I will try and get some pramaters, hopefully by Friday...sorry, I'm busy getting ready for tomorrow. What about the majano, though. Best way to get rid of that?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can kill majano similar to methods with aiptasia - try injecting it with boiling water, lemon juice, there's also special things like joe's juice. I once kalk pasted over a couple and it killed them but unfortunately I think it killed my blenny because I think he may have ingested it while picking at rocks so I'm hesitant on suggesting that. you could pull the rock and try manually removing it - you'll have to be careful to make sure to pull the whole thing. I don't believe they multiply as quickly as aiptasia and they really are quite pretty - I've also read where some people leave them alone and keep an eye on them and they haven't multiplied markedly so they have left them.

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like they are reacting from getting stung by the majano

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like their moving to me, some of mine have done this when they don't like where they are in my tank. It looks like their melting but they may just not like where they are, how long have you had them and what flow/lighting are they in/under?

OP
OP
Carmen

Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like they are reacting from getting stung by the majano
Dave, a few days after I made my last post I glanced into the tank that morning, and the palys looked much better(?!) They are fine now. I showed the pictures to my LFS guy, commenting how they suddenly looked much better. He said it was chemical warfare with the majano. Amazing, and I was glad to find that out, because the paly next to it was starting to look affected like the first one. I guess the paly won. In the meantime, I put some Aptasia X on the two majanos. I've only been in the hobby a little over a year. I'm still seeing a lot of "firsts." Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support. I like this website. :)

46gReef--I didn't know palys could/would move. I'll have to watch. LOL

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back