What could be causing this?

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaving this with no details on purpose as to avoid jumpy conclusions. Thanks for sharing your experience in advance. See all responses will help me narrow down.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418844693595.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418844693595.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 270

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaving this with no details on purpose as to avoid jumpy conclusions. Thanks for sharing your experience in advance. See all responses will help me narrow down.

Boy, that's like saying why am I having chest pain...... I mean, where do we start?

Here is a shot in the dark for you though..... Parameters off, too much light, not enough light, too much flow, possible pest, bacterial infection, you just dipped them, a hermit walked on your colony, you just finished fragging, wrasses were eating something In between the polyps. Changed lighting recently, switched salt brands, ect ect ect. Ugh..... Why am I having chest pain. :)

OP
OP
B

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, that's like saying why am I having chest pain...... I mean, where do we start?

Here is a shot in the dark for you though..... Parameters off, too much light, not enough light, too much flow, possible pest, bacterial infection, you just dipped them, a hermit walked on your colony, you just finished fragging, wrasses were eating something In between the polyps. Changed lighting recently, switched salt brands, ect ect ect. Ugh..... Why am I having chest pain. :)

greatly appreciate the response and thank you for taking your time to share your experience with this issue.

in my experience when i have had chest pains..well I actually haven't dealt with chest pains so I don't have a suggestion for you. Maybe if you start a thread in regards to your chest pain someone with some experience with that problem could tell you what they perhaps did to fix there pains. Maybe them sharing the experience will trigger something that will cause you to think, "oh man i did the same thing..maybe that is why I have chest pains and now I know how to fix it".

OP
OP
B

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoas are not new I had them for a while and they have grown very well for me. Recent changes..bought a rodi 0tds as I used to use just ro with .002tds, raised the light about 4 inches now sitting 12inches above the water in comparison to 8inches, shortened my loc lines n the return and po4 went from .25 to .18 since the rodi went online.

tank is 48x24x16 and I use instant ocean. no salt change.
Temp ranges from 77-79 daily.
salinity normally 1.025

polyps have been like this for 3 days. closed in pretty tight with the center sticking out like its going to burst.

has anyone else experienced this with there polyps? if so, what did you do to fix it or did you just ride it out.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The part that really has me confused is how spread out they are. They usually grow in such a tight cluster. Try turkey basting them. Maybe a Algae is bothering them.

OP
OP
B

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The part that really has me confused is how spread out they are. They usually grow in such a tight cluster. Try turkey basting them. Maybe a Algae is bothering them.

yeah im not sure why they grew like that. turkey basting, check. alot of junk blew off them. I guess its a good thing just ordered more cleanup crew.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what they should look like. Can you give us a picture of the side of the tank they are on. They seem to be moving away for a reason. Maybe more light maybe less. I bet that's why they are so spread out. Could also be some one is chowing on them.

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
typo

Looks like they might be moving somewhere I had some zoas do the same thing for no reason then they start falling off the plug polyp by polyp cutting a frag and moving it helps save them sometimes ,I tryed dipping in lugols , peroxide, but it didn't help at all . When I see the little white starfish on top of my zoass they close up and then I find them looking similar to yours

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what they should look like. Can you give us a picture of the side of the tank they are on. They seem to be moving away for a reason. Maybe more light maybe less. I bet that's why they are so spread out. Could also be some one is chowing on them.
Not good at pictures but here you go.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418875034317.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418875034317.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 212
OP
OP
B

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they might be moving somewhere I had some zoas do the same thing for no reason then they start falling off the plug polyp by polyp cutting a frag and moving it helps save them sometimes ,I tryed dipping in lugols , peroxide, but it didn't help at all . When I see the little white starfish on top of my zoass they close up and then I find them looking similar to yours
I hate those little things. Man how cool they look when your new to the hobby haha. Yeah when I see one covering the top of my zoa I normally consider it gone haha. No stars on this colony yet so I'm hopeful.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change the carbon recently? I went from using cheap carbon to premium and I had zoa do this.

reefwars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw in my experience they don't heal from this , you'll be lucky if a polyp pulls through. IME this is po4 related and lights. I've found if po4 is brought to low and lights are strong then they will wither away and expel from the the insides and they will only heal if taken out of this environment or the environment itself is changed quickly . It's not a guarantee but I do notice it if I change out touch gfo or push my carbon doing a Bit too much.other zoas seem fine but there's always one that does it.

How do you export po4 and where do you sit on average?

OP
OP
B

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw in my experience they don't heal from this , you'll be lucky if a polyp pulls through. IME this is po4 related and lights. I've found if po4 is brought to low and lights are strong then they will wither away and expel from the the insides and they will only heal if taken out of this environment or the environment itself is changed quickly . It's not a guarantee but I do notice it if I change out touch gfo or push my carbon doing a Bit too much.other zoas seem fine but there's always one that does it.

How do you export po4 and where do you sit on average?
Po4 was at .25. It is now .18. I use brs gfo and reactor. I just changed out the gfo but this started before that change.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Alaklinity?

I had some Zoanthids Close Up Often (Mainly my Hornets).

Alkalinity was 6-7 so I raised it over 10 and now they are always open (Even my Hornets).

Also, Dip them and inspect them for Pets.

I Dip all my Corals in Bayer and insect them with a High Powered Magnifying Glass with a Light for Eggs.

Remember Dips do not Kill Eggs.

Also, what is your Flow?

Zoanthids like Flow.

You might want to upgrade your Power Heads.

OP
OP
B

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the jebao wp25 has been really good for me. no issues. I have one on each side of the tank so I don't think its too little flow.

lost most of the colony. I was able to save a few polys with a couple Furan 2 dips. now I wait for the grow!

Back