POLL - Zoanthids and Alkalinity - What do you keep your Tanks Alkalinity at?

POLL - Zoanthids and Alkalinity - What do you keep your Tanks Alkalinity at?

• Total voters

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a Poll.

Please Participate and Vote.

I am wondering what the "Ideal" Alkalinity is for Zoanthids?

I ask because I have seen a few people mention that Zoanthids Prefer High Alkalinity.

Please Post (And Vote) on what you keep your Alkalinity at and Why you keep it at that Level?

Any info on this would help greatly.

At what Alkalinity level do you notice the Best Color?

At what Alkalinity level do you notice the Most Growth?

Less then 7.0
Above 12.0

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience trying to Grow Zoanthids in Different Alkalinity?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tracked how they grow at different Alk but I can't run high Alk anymore with low nutrients.
In the past I've had Alk as high as 12 where some did melt but I can't attribute it directly to the Alk level. I didn't test as much back then and it could have been a number of things. Some just seem destined to melt for whatever reason they feel like at the time. I've replaced melted zoa with some from the same seller with the same parent colony and those did just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tracked how they grow at different Alk but I can't run high Alk anymore with low nutrients.
In the past I've had Alk as high as 12 where some did melt but I can't attribute it directly to the Alk level. I didn't test as much back then and it could have been a number of things. Some just seem destined to melt for whatever reason they feel like at the time. I've replaced melted zoa with some from the same seller with the same parent colony and those did just fine.

That is interesting.

I always hear about SPS requiring Low Alkalinity (7-8) in Low Nutrient Systems.

I never knew that the same applied to Zoanthids.

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting.

I always hear about SPS requiring Low Alkalinity (7-8) in Low Nutrient Systems.

I never knew that the same applied to Zoanthids.

Like I said, I don't know if it was Alk or not. Zoas are so finicky sometimes. You are correct that it isn't the zoas that have made me lower my Alk level.
While zoas are my first love, I've started collecting sticks lately and it's caused me to refine my techniques to stabilize all parameters.
I have noticed much less incidents while having a more stable tank. Real shocking, isn't it...
These are just things that I've noticed but coincidence doesn't mean it's the cause.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, I don't know if it was Alk or not. Zoas are so finicky sometimes. You are correct that it isn't the zoas that have made me lower my Alk level.
While zoas are my first love, I've started collecting sticks lately and it's caused me to refine my techniques to stabilize all parameters.
I have noticed much less incidents while having a more stable tank. Real shocking, isn't it...
These are just things that I've noticed but coincidence doesn't mean it's the cause.

Oh so you do not do that for the Zoanthids but for the SPS.

I see.

Does anybody know if indeed it is Proven that Zoanthids do Bad with High Alkalinity in Low Nutrient Systems like SPS Does?

Or is that just an SPS thing?

What about LPS as well?

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
between 8 and 9 for zoas is good... every system is different... I really wouldn't run it past 9 though

Pirates.Reef

High End Coral Collector / Vendor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had between 8.4 to 9.1 on a red sea test kit and my Zoas grow very well.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience is that the polyps to not expand as much and the polyps have more of a tendency to melt

Interesting.

I was told that Zoanthids like High Alkalinity and do better in that enviornment.

What is considered High Alkalinity though?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from very low (sub 7.5 dkh), very high (above 12 dkh), or sudden fluctuation (+/- 2 dkh in 24 hours), I've never seen a zoa melt from alkalinity alone. Keeping ionic balance consistent is far more important than the exact alkalinity level.

FWIW, I wouldn't keep zoas in a low nutrient system anyway. Mine have always shown the best growth/color with N03 at 0.5-1, and P04 at 0.01-0.04.

reefwars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from very low (sub 7.5 dkh), very high (above 12 dkh), or sudden fluctuation (+/- 2 dkh in 24 hours), I've never seen a zoa melt from alkalinity alone. Keeping ionic balance consistent is far more important than the exact alkalinity level.

FWIW, I wouldn't keep zoas in a low nutrient system anyway. Mine have always shown the best growth/color with N03 at 0.5-1, and P04 at 0.01-0.04.

yeah i have found the same , the exact number doesnt matter as much as not jumping drastically to low or to high in a short span . over the years ive been all over the board for alk and have not noticed any major discoveries:)

i keep low N03 and P04 pretty low but keeping cautious not to push it and watch for the signs of getting to low....P04 being more touchy than anything else:)

Munch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed the skimmer in my frag tank last month, and tested ALK. It's over 13.

All my zoas are growing like crazy. I'm guessing due to the dirtier water, maybe I'll lower the ALK back to 9 and see how they react...

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed the skimmer in my frag tank last month, and tested ALK. It's over 13.

All my zoas are growing like crazy. I'm guessing due to the dirtier water, maybe I'll lower the ALK back to 9 and see how they react...

I am looking for forward to hearing the Results.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back