Do I have to have actinics for zoa growth?

gsechen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering because I have an 12g Aquapod and it seems my zoas are NOT growing as fast as my friends tank. Difference between my friends tank and mine is that he has a 14g biocube with 72w pc lighting. I have a 70w MH 14k Sunpod with only led lights. Should I add actinic lighting?

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed that actinics increase growth rate. Actinics are used primarily to enhance the colors in zoanthids/palys. A zoa tank under straight actinics is a site to behold. :) I run about 3 hours of actinics in the am, before the MH kicks on, then about 3 hours after the MH go off, kind of like a sunset and sunrise. Dont do it for growth, but for the look. ;)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the problems is that there never has been a study done on wither actinics have an effect on growth or other environmental effect on corals period. I would assume they have a bigger effect then just to enhance color though.

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. There are people in the hobby that say actinics and moonlights both have an effect on overall coral health because of the sunrise/sunset and moonlight simulation of nature. The controller I am using even throws in 'cloudy' days into the mix. I'm sure that enhanced coral health will lead to an increased growth rate. I personally haven't noticed any growth difference in my display versus my frag tanks. I use actinics in the display, but no sunrise/sunset effect at all in the frag tanks and the zoas in both systems seem to grow at about the same rate.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the sunrise/sunset with my actinics also, I think it is less harsh on the corals over all. I mean to go from dark to bright noon day lights can't be good, just like when we come from a dark theater to the daylight and it hurts our eyes I'm sure it puts a bit of stress on the corals to.

I am going to start this week a experiment, with my lighting and see what happens or effects on the zoas and palys. I am going to post a new thread about it, as I started yesterday......

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two tanks without actinics, zoas look fine without them, and grow fine as well.

actinic does provide some useable light, but nowhere near what a whiter bulb would.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back