Zoas not opening...HELP PLEASE

adetamor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little history....Had all my zoas in my DT on the sand bed under a 175w 20k halide and (2)96w actinic PCs for supplement. (About 75 different frags and colonies) Got a new frag tank (30x20x8) with a T5 setup (4x2' T5 fixture w/ Giesemann AquaBlue+ (2) and Midday(2)). Tied it into the system...things looked great for about a week. Switched my lightings in my DT to T5 as well. 3 UVL 454, 2 UVL Actinic White and a UVL Super Actinic. (3' bulbs on a 40 breeder). Also had to take in a rather large fish for a friend for a little while. I noticed my SPS were dying from the bottom and zoas stopped opening as well. I checked around the system and realized the skimmer wasn't working. Nitrates were sky high. I have been doing water changes to get this down (between 10 and 15ppm now). All other levels normal with the exception of magnesium which is high. Moved my SPS to a friends system to try to salvage them. Kept the zoas because they were still opening, just not well and were starting to lose color. Lights came on today and nothing is open now. Nothing has melted, but they are def not looking good. To add icing to the cake, noticed that my anemone decided to take an interest in the power head (wasn't like that an hour before)....got that out as soon as I noticed. I don't think it had too much time to jack up the water levels.

Suggestions? Should I just give them some time to recover from the high nitrates?

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they should open right back up when water conditions are back to normal I wouldnt get worried unless you see bacteria slime on them then they are dying.

OP
OP
A

adetamor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some debris build up in the zoas, so I added another powerhead which seems to be keeping them cleared off.

IamRit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it decent flow. It should open back up again.

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont worry too much about it. I was fragging some of mine last weekend. I did an IMO horrible job that I thought left them all dead. (couldnt get my razer blade in so I just ripped up as much as I could). A week later (today) they have started to open back up, so they are very hearty :). best of luck.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any time my corals started not looking good, my first thought is water change.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back