Tips, Tricks, Recommendations for Acclimating Z's and P's

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you experienced z and p keepers let's hear any tips, tricks, reccomendations you have for acclimating new z's and p's to your system.

Besides the obvious of dipping for pest, what's your procedure for acclimating. Do you float, drip, whatever

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contest must still be going on lol

Float them for 10min to bring them to temp, freshwater dip for pest, then throw them in the tank. Never lost any doing it this way for 10ys now. Since they are able to close up they can pretty much acclimate themselves as long as given the proper conditions

OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contest must still be going on lol

Float them for 10min to bring them to temp, freshwater dip for pest, then throw them in the tank. Never lost any doing it this way for 10ys now. Since they are able to close up they can pretty much acclimate themselves as long as given the proper conditions
with freshwater is that matched to the Ph of the system?

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RODI water, float the bowl in the tank for temp. No Ph adjustment. If they look rough I'll add a drop of Lugols

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just let them float in bag for 20 min, then take half tank water half bag water and make a dip solution to get rid of pests and then put in tank. main thing is to dip corals before puttin in the tank

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything in revive then rinse in fresh water then 2 min in some lugols, rinse in tank water (take some out of main system) then drop in main system. 2 years no problems.

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others. I temp float the bag, then pest dip in some water from the aquarium its going in. Z's and P's are pretty hardy in my experience.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i know the sourse i prefer not to dip at all
if i choose to dip i usually use revive at the recomended dose
zoas should be visually inspected of course regardless

newman24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never acclimate zoas/ palys. I open the bag stick and stick the frag in fresh water for maybe 2-5 minutes to search for pests. After that, I don't even temp acclimate and stick it directly in the tank. I'm not a believer in acclimating.

newman24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to do that too. But I got a spider once. I do the same thing to fish. I toss them in fresh water and then i toss them directly into the tank.
Everything gets fresh water dip except inverts, they go directly in the tank. never fails

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... if it's from a good source... I'll be fine with dipping revive... and just throw them in no acclimation but if it looks shady or a wc for example... I'll leave it in quarantine for like a week and dip every day alternating revive and freshwater!

I use RODI water, float the bowl in the tank for temp. No Ph adjustment. If they look rough I'll add a drop of Lugols

I use de-chlorinated freshwater.... before I dipped in RO/DI but I think maybe the osmotic change would be more harsh...i actually haven't looked into this though:squigglemouth:....do you know if it ro/di would actually be better?? and also for how much time do you dip?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I float to temperature acclimate the polyps. As they float, I prepare a solution of Lugal's iodine using water from the tank; 4 drops to a cup of tankwater. Once the temperature is acclimated, I remove them from their bag, do a quick examine with magnifying glass while doing a slow count of 30. Any obvious pests or nuisance algae can be easily removed by hand or using tweezers. Once the polyps are all closed up, I drop them into the Lugal's solution. I swish them around for 15 minutes in the Lugal's solution. After 15 minutes I remove them and examine the polyps carefully and extensively with a magnifying glass for any pests or any signs of tissue damage. If I feel its warrented, they are placed in a quarantine tank, if not, they go into the main tank. They are always placed on the bottom of the tank in an area of moderate to high flow. In the main tank, I eliminate all lighting for the first 48 hours so the polyps are acclimating only to the water chemistry. After 48 hours, I turn the lights back on for half the normal duration of my light cycle, and finally on the third day, I return to a normal lighting cycle. If the polyps still look stressed after 24 or 48 hours, I will extend that period of reduced lighting.

Additionally, if the polyps have certain pests or evidence of disease, than additional dipping in other solutions may be required;

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/zoa-discussion-club-zoa/40552-dipping-zoanthairans.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I float to temperature acclimate the polyps. As they float, I prepare a solution of Lugal's iodine using water from the tank; 4 drops to a cup of tankwater. Once the temperature is acclimated, I remove them from their bag, do a quick examine with magnifying glass while doing a slow count of 30. Any obvious pests or nuisance algae can be easily removed by hand or using tweezers. Once the polyps are all closed up, I drop them into the Lugal's solution. I swish them around for 15 minutes in the Lugal's solution. After 15 minutes I remove them and examine the polyps carefully and extensively with a magnifying glass for any pests or any signs of tissue damage. If I feel its warrented, they are placed in a quarantine tank, if not, they go into the main tank. They are always placed on the bottom of the tank in an area of moderate to high flow. In the main tank, I eliminate all lighting for the first 48 hours so the polyps are acclimating only to the water chemistry. After 48 hours, I turn the lights back on for half the normal duration of my light cycle, and finally on the third day, I return to a normal lighting cycle. If the polyps still look stressed after 24 or 48 hours, I will extend that period of reduced lighting.

Additionally, if the polyps have certain pests or evidence of disease, than additional dipping in other solutions may be required;

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/zoa-discussion-club-zoa/40552-dipping-zoanthairans.html

I like the lights out, I'm gonna try this tomorrow with my new polyps

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never realized how many people do a freashwater Rinse/dip. Can a freshwater rinsh/dip be used for all corals?? Does it kills pests??

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried freshwater once a long time ago to get rid of some monti eating nudis and it severly damged the coral - i would not recommend it for anything but zoas and only then if absolutely neccesary

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very comprehensive. I use Revive in a cup of tank water and then a couple drops of lugols.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temp float, then revive+tmpcc+flatworm exit witches brew and shake vigorously, visually inspect with magnifying glass and into quarantine

the first week or two I inspect at night a few times with a uv light to spot nudis

Back