Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's dropping to about 7.8 to 8.0 I would like it to stay up in the 8.2 range.

If you add a solution that has a lower PH such as 7 to a 8.2 solution it will lower it. Doesn't seem like it's enough to do anything with what I'm dosing. I don't want to keep adding balance to bring it back up. Do you not have any lowering effect by using the VC? I'm going to go to half of what I'm dosing and see if my PH is less affected. If it is less affected then VC is the answer.

Also considering going with a kalkwasser to help PH and lessen my two part additives

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought some Red Sea salt two weeks ago because they didn't have any pro so I had dosed both water changes to get the numbers where the pro is it. Well I put to much alk in from my two part and my alk went from the 12 range to 14.2 when I tested yesterday so I don't think it is too low. It will balance out.

So not sure. I have mangroves in my sump with overlapping lighting schedule but no other vegetation in my sump. My PH drops at night but not a whole lot. Just would like to keep it in the 8.1 to 8.3 range

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is too much vc / what I'd the desired ppm or is it all based on visual cues from the corals

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add 5 ppm a day and eventually it'll be like 50 ppm if the corals don't use it all

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in winter ph can drop due to carbon dioxied issues in house. i learned this the hard way.. had to add a bubbler to tanks for it

jck09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried to find this answer, but cant. Say i dose 5 ppm. When you say dose twice a day, do you mean doss 5ppm twice per day or dose 5ppm total twice a day, so 2.5 ppm each time.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium ascorbate breaks down when exposed to water, light, etc, so when you add a single dose to get you to 5ppm, you are dosing to 5ppm. The next dose at the end of the day (or a few hours later once the first dose has broken down) will bring you again to 5ppm.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many posts to sift and the living reefs link is busted.

This sounds a lot like black magic - anyone have a theory on why this would be beneficial? I know non-humans shouldn't need supplements, but I'm not sure supplementation of the animals is even what we things we're doing with the Vitamin C.

-Matt

Last edited:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in your camp - skeptical as to exactly what is going on. Some people get results, some people (like me) don't.

I think that most of the 'benefit' come from the now-available carbon and the associated reduction in overall nutrient levels.

Reef_Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is old, but I just got done reading 90% of it. Just ordered the VC... wish I saw this before purchasing the marine C yesterday.

Landshark928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question on VC dosing. I am on the road 3 to 4 days a week, no way to dose twice a day manually. I have a 800 gallon reef system (560g +3x 40B frag tanks and 120g sump all plumbed together) so looking at 15,000mg 3x a day to get 5ppm.

Has anyone used a fish feeder to dose dry powder into the return pump area of their sump? I'm looking at a programmable pond feeder with a 6.5 pound hopper and screw drive. I should be able to calibrate feed times to correlate to my target dosing, 3 times a day. Thinking of desiccate packs in the hopper to keep it dry.

Something like this.
http://www.petmountain.com/show_pro...m=Prod&utm_term=11442-526222&utm_campaign=PPC

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question similar to the one above but with a twist.. can I just dissolve the powder in water and use a regular BRS doser to automate the dosing? I am a lazy reefer... and i did see someone use a feeder to drop the powder into their sump, but the feeder takes up valuable space. I would prefer to just use a pump and control it with the apex.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VITAMIN C DOSING CHART

Here are the directions:
Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Bu...-Vitamin-C-Crystaline-Powder-8-oz-227-g/70643
FREE SHIPPING!!!
$10 off 1st order of $40 & up
or $5 off on smaller orders, when using this code: LUL789

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily (down to 2-3 ppm works also). If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using I-herb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 or lower if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread, also for better health/coloration of your fish. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Higher doses of as much as 100ppm (for about 2 weeks) for fish illness. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
* If you notice an algae bloom (white stringy stuff) or increased scum on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water then pour into overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors. *Keep your Vitamin C bottle in the refrigerator. * If you have a question, ask here. I do my best to check these threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
VITAMIN C DOSING CHART

Here are the directions:
Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Bu...-Vitamin-C-Crystaline-Powder-8-oz-227-g/70643
FREE SHIPPING!!!
$10 off 1st order of $40 & up
or $5 off on smaller orders, when using this code: LUL789

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily (down to 2-3 ppm works also). If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using I-herb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 or lower if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread, also for better health/coloration of your fish. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Higher doses of as much as 100ppm (for about 2 weeks) for fish illness. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
* If you notice an algae bloom (white stringy stuff) or increased scum on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water then pour into overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors. *Keep your Vitamin C bottle in the refrigerator. * If you have a question, ask here. I do my best to check these threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

Oh my LAWD! Welcome back! HA!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back