The Bowser Zoa

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm still not paying a couple hundred bucks for a CAR morph.

Totally agreed. There is different lineage of CARs going around here, which I didn't know until I saw them in other reefer's tanks. I am lucky enough to have the brightest lineage in my tank lol.....and honestly I really can't differentiate mine from bowser or ktar bowser.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lucky enough to have the brightest lineage in my tank lol.....and honestly I really can't differentiate mine from bowser or ktar bowser.

By any chance, do you mind pisting up a picture of your CAR's?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a comparison shot:

CAR vs CAO vs PZ Bowser
carbowser.jpg

Bad white balance in the photo, but you get the idea. The two frags on the right had just been fragged when Poomba contacted me and we decided to post a comparison shot.

My .02:
1. Standard CAR's are much duller- duh!
2. Very few, if any, original Bowsers remain in captivity.
3. Planet Zoa Bowsers vary slightly from OG Bowsers. They basically look like a cross between a CAO and a Poinsetta.
4. Sorry but I dont remember the exact origin of PZ Bowsers. I had been keeping a small dormant frag (2-3 polyps) of what I thought were CARs before starting the website and my new prop setup. After the switch, they must have found the sweet spot and started growing/coloring up nicely.
5. As far as I am concerned, CAO, Walaa, and 2nd strain Bowsers are the same coral.

Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that comparison shots Travis. I have heard a lot of opinions on these three but I suppose the proof is in the pudding if these are all representative of their standard frag coloring.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got one of PZ's Candy Apple Orange's from curiousity about a month ago.

Here it is after a month with my CARs, so both were under the same lighting for a good amount of time.

PZ CAO:
CAO.jpg

CAO vs CARs
CAOvsCAR-1.jpg

CAOvsCAR2.jpg

bluetrigger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to change my fish only 90 gal to reef, but gotta get rid of koran,sargassum trigger,purple tang, and tomato clown.

OP
OP
poomba

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the bowsers in our growout. Photo by caudill187

IMGP2219.JPG

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i showed this before...bought it as a rainbow paly and paid less than $70 for 4 polyps
brightrainbowpaly.jpg

colored up in my tank cause of fish poop and turned out to be this..oh great i have candy apple reds...
candy.jpg

then it went to a beautiful colony of candy apple reds...
candyleds.jpg

no i dont have it anymore...just saw this thread...i guess the person i sold my CARs are enjoying it right now :)still a question to me how and why the color changed? i still dont understand as to this day...

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Those look more like caos than cars. changes due to tank variations makes me skeptical of this coral especially when you consider the fetching price for them. not worth it imho.

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have CARs before too and they have no orange on face at all...im not sure if i can find a pic..its been a while

Last edited:

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still waiting to see a photo of Vivid's Rainbow Palys, CARs and "Bowsers," ALL under the same lighting, day one to show the "obvious" difference and then another photo 3-6 months later, still all under the same lighting. I'm willing to make a small bet that all three will now look identical...lol

OP
OP
poomba

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought Vivids Rainbows were pretty much a Sunny D?

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then add Sunny Ds to my list above...lol. IMO, the entire list are different names for one, or possibly two different polyps that have changed under different lighting/flow conditions...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back