1000G Puffer Display

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It breaks my heart to report that my porcupine Sean suddenly died today. I noticed him looking a little distressed this morning but I didn't think anything of it. This afternoon I was working on the tank and he I heard the water splash and he was having a little freak out, which he does sometimes if I spook him when he is sleeping.

This time he, floated down to the bottom, then started swimming again, then to the bottom, over and over.

This went on for about an hour until he eventually passed. I had him for 4 1/2 years and he was always the first one to swim up and smile at me when I walked in the room.

I'm glad he got to live in his new 210 gallon home I bought for him for 2 weeks. He seemed very happy.

This is one of those losses that makes me question if I want to do this anymore.

c9a5ca4cc1baacd5fdd07bcf11416e88.jpg

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It breaks my heart to report that my porcupine Sean suddenly died today. I noticed him looking a little distressed this morning but I didn't think anything of it. This afternoon I was working on the tank and he I heard the water splash and he was having a little freak out, which he does sometimes if I spook him when he is sleeping.

This time he, floated down to the bottom, then started swimming again, then to the bottom, over and over.

This went on for about an hour until he eventually passed. I had him for 4 1/2 years and he was always the first one to swim up and smile at me when I walked in the room.

I'm glad he got to live in his new 210 gallon home I bought for him for 2 weeks. He seemed very happy.

This is one of those losses that makes me question if I want to do this anymore.

That sucks man sorry to hear that. But you have to get back on the horse. I am sure you can get a new puffer. Might not be a sean but i am sure it will be cool in its own way [emoji3]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That sucks man sorry to hear that. But you have to get back on the horse. I am sure you can get a new puffer. Might not be a sean but i am sure it will be cool in its own way [emoji3]
+1 well said and sorry for your loss.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I will. I can't give up now anyway, I have more fish to take care of.

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss, I can completely understand how bad it feels to lose a fish you've had for so long. All the time and effort and time spent. I'm sorry man. You did a good job to have him live for so long! He probably had an awesome life with you!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss, I can completely understand how bad it feels to lose a fish you've had for so long. All the time and effort and time spent. I'm sorry man. You did a good job to have him live for so long! He probably had an awesome life with you!

Thank you, I know that you guys understand. People who don't have these fish don't get it. It's not like a goldfish who just swims in circles, they have personalities and interact with you.

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry for your loss bud. It really sucks to loose any animal, fish included which not everyone gets but the guys in here do. I had to walk away from this build for a while when I lost my golden. Give it time bud.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to get another one. The tank lacked personality and there was no one smiling at me when I walked in. He was eating 10 minutes after I put him in the tank. He's a tiny guy. The other fish are interested but leaving him alone.

d4d41f807ecb4bd8effffb8c80a5d1e7.jpg

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to get another one. The tank lacked personality and there was no one smiling at me when I walked in. He was eating 10 minutes after I put him in the tank. He's a tiny guy. The other fish are interested but leaving him alone.

d4d41f807ecb4bd8effffb8c80a5d1e7.jpg

Congratulations bud. Puffers are something else. It's hard to be with out one when you have first had one. Keep us updated

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations bud. Puffers are something else. It's hard to be with out one when you have first had one. Keep us updated
He made it through the first night unharmed, which is always a big step. We have no control over what happens once we go to bed and they have to fend for themselves.

The little guy is already sizing up my hermit crabs. If memory serves me right, he will be eating them in a couple months because they grow fast!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this just happened, lol. I've seen him puff up before, but he usually deflates before I grab the camera. He's about the size of a tennis ball when he puffs up.

Yes, he's in a QT right now with his dwarf lion brother. My tank came down with velvet so I now have 2 QTs going. Everyone got treated with CP and is doing well. Just waiting out the fallow period.

IMG_20170528_115759317.jpg

IMG_20170528_115809339.jpg

IMG_20170528_115821969.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely working on the House:) wall to wall shag carpet:D

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back