55g or ??????

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still new to doing a reef tank. Selling my 90g. Aquired a 220g w/stand and conopy.
My question is. Will a 55g be good to use as a refugium for the 220g. Or should i get something bigger.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly could work. I think the issue (for me anyway) would be the height of the tank and putting that under the DT and still being able to get equipment in and out.....ie, the skimmer. 55's are tall tanks.

Now, if it was me, and the 20 inch high 55 wasn't an issue, I'd put in a 75 assuming it would fit in the stand. On a 180 DT I helped on, we had to put the sump in first because it only fit by passing it through the top. Here's the 75 sump I built for that:

9c1bb31b-fe84-42e6-9312-2f5a2fcfa8fd_zpsa3ae6e7f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly could work. I think the issue (for me anyway) would be the height of the tank and putting that under the DT and still being able to get equipment in and out.....ie, the skimmer. 55's are tall tanks.
I was gonna use my 90g. But there was definately NO room for equipment removal or my hands period. But i think with the 55 i will be okay.. i do appreciate the input. Was considering purchasing a refugium. But was considering money. And how i would like to set up the system.

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now, if it was me, and the 20 inch high 55 wasn't an issue, I'd put in a 75 assuming it would fit in the stand. On a 180 DT I helped on, we had to put the sump in first because it only fit by passing it through the top. Here's the 75 sump I built for that:

9c1bb31b-fe84-42e6-9312-2f5a2fcfa8fd_zpsa3ae6e7f.jpg
Thats sharp.. i was told to put dark walls on the part that will be for the refugium. So that no algea grows in the other compartments.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double down on what AZ just said.

You'll like a 40B a little more every time you have to get into it vs liking the 55G a little less every time. ;)

Plus there's more floorspace/footprint in a 40B than a 55G to fit gear into. (4.5 vs 4.0 sq ft)

The only downside is that it will hold less overflow water.

For that reason, I still like the 75G that RedFish recommended earlier. If you really don't mind the height of the 55G then upgrading to a 75G makes all kinds of sense. (6 sq ft of floorspace!!!!)

(A 55 is built as a tall display tank....really just not an optimal sump shape.)

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double down on what AZ just said.

You'll like a 40B a little more every time you have to get into it vs liking the 55G a little less every time. ;)

Plus there's more floorspace/footprint in a 40B than a 55G to fit gear into. (4.5 vs 4.0 sq ft)

The only downside is that it will hold less overflow water.

For that reason, I still like the 75G that RedFish recommended earlier. If you really don't mind the height of the 55G then upgrading to a 75G makes all kinds of sense. (6 sq ft of floorspace!!!!)

(A 55 is built as a tall display tank....really just not an optimal sump shape.)
I have a 55g just been sitting for like 10 yrs. Thats why i was gonna use it. Save a couple dollars.working with a budget. And just sell the 90g. Most likely will hust use the 55g long.. since i already have it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it'll work out either way, but what about sell the 90 and 55 both?

40B's go on sale for $40 with a little bit of regularity at petco.

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man what a good deal!
I still cant believe the deal. The guy said that he just wasnt interested in the hobbie anymore. And his wife wanted it gone.. originally wanted 500. But then said if i could get it that weekend. I could have it for the 3. Its heavy as hell though. Just me and my brother moved it.

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be under. I can take a pic because I'm in the process of building the tank XD

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back