A Gyre pump your budget can get along with? YES, PLEASE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Constant mode at 50% on 5' 140g. I'm still working on integrating with my 2 mp10s. The other modes look very interesting & I need to spend some time with them.

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the alternating gyre mode in a 40 breeder set at 20% both directions alternating every 30 seconds. I originally had it at 30% but I have an elegance coral sitting in the sand and the returning current along the sand bed pushed it up against the rocks.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should've mentioned that I have on on a 20l running @ 10% forward for 1min and 20% reverse for 5min. There's no coral in the tank and it will be upgraded to a 40B in a few weeks. It seems like less flow running in reverse??

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow is definitely milder when the pump runs in reverse. It's designed to pull water into the bottom and push it out the front, which it does very well when the motor is spinning forwards. When the motor spins backwards it still moves water but it's not nearly as efficient. That's actually a good thing in my tank. I'd have a sand storm every time it reversed if it was really good at pushing water out the bottom when running backwards.

radicaltour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine yesterday. Ran it for a few hours in pulse mode (80% max strength) but I'll be returning it now.
It's way too loud for my preference (even standing a few feet away).
I wish it was near the silence of my MP40.

ethridge78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been running mine for almost a week on 40x24x16 At 50% and loving it dead silent I can put my ear up to it and barely hear it and I was nervous because it's 1/2" glass might vibrate or move but nothing.

radicaltour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been running mine for almost a week on 40x24x16 At 50% and loving it dead silent I can put my ear up to it and barely hear it and I was nervous because it's 1/2" glass might vibrate or move but nothing.

I agree with you. At 50% or lower, it's very silent.

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to what the lowest setting on this is.. Above 0% of course..
I'm interested in using this on a small 15g frag tank. The current powerhead I'm using has too narrow of a flow and is blasting a couple corals and the others are just getting mediocre flow. I need even, sweeping flow across the whole tank.

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power setting is in increments of 10% and the lowest setting that is pushing water is 10%.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if this is one of those pumps that have a minimum threshold. For example, the Neptune WAV even at 1% they push like 1500 GPH.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine running at 10% on a 20L for a few weeks. Everything was fine. I even had it set to give 20% spurts throughout the day to mix things up a bit

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set this unit up on my reefer 350 that is currently being built and it's pretty dang loud, even at 20%. Granted the only thing I am use to the mp10 quiet drives, so im not sure if this is standard or not. Please help!
Just installed mine too and it is noisy I can hear it across the room also at around20%

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with loud units, I've read a few reviews of people with the same issue. Some of them contacted Ice cap and was told to let it run and it would work itself out. A lot of those same people said it did. That is just what I've read. Mine is silent.

CentralNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
34g cube... I'm using it in gyre mode, 50% forward, 20% back... pump is absolutely amazing. Corals and fish have never looked happier. Mine doesn't make noise at all...

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess who bought one for his 38 gallon tank?? WOOHOO!

uuuummmm yea.... guess I should have remembered the tank is only 12" front to back. DOH!

On the bright side... I've been looking at new tanks to accommodate it! Might as well go Red Sea Reefer 450 right?? LOL

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running this for 3weeks now. Very quiet, don't notice it's on. My tank is 4ft long and one of these is not enough for a SPS dominated system. This pump for me replaced a Jebao RW15 and is no where near as powerful, of course. That said however, I am very pleased! The single RW 15 also required additional powerheads. This unit is not powerful enough to provide a wave, (the back and forth motion) but the random flow mode is phenomenal!

Back