Advice for Big Mama saddleback in hospital...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2210.JPG
Today, mama clown is doing good. I would say great but she still hasn't eaten yet. I've tried garlic mysis but no-go.
I'm going to do a 5 gal 48 hour water change and will re-dose the furan2 and kanaplex after as @melypr1985 advised. The metroplex and focus came today so I'm wondering.. should I add the metroplex into the mix as @jsker and @Humblefish recommend a couple days ago?
And one last thing with a pic.. she has lived her entire life with a plethora of anemones and now there are none. I bought this today.. it's very soft and rubbery but wondering if I should put it in the QT. It has that kinda petroleum smell to it and made in China.

@melypr1985 and @Humblefish are much better experanced in what to dose then I, and I would wait for their conformation but I would say that you are fine also dose the metroplex.

Do not chance putting the soft sponge thing in there, it is very hard to make our kids do without:(:). Let's get mama clown eating;)

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help with mama!!! She got new water and new dose of all three meds tonite...I didn't put that
"Thing" in her QT tank on everyones advice.. just keeping it close by on the outside so she might think she's got nemes nearby!!!
I'll keep trying to get her to eat with the mysis...her previous food of choice...she inadvertently sucked some in tonite off the feeder tongs but she spit it back out.... I'm gonna pop some bubbly if she gets her appetite back.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clarksski my I suggest some frozen like LRF reef frenzy or Rods clown food. The reason for the suggestion is there is more in the mix that Mama Clown might eat.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @jsker
So, overall she's doing good but I can't get her to eat.. I've soaked mysis in garlic guard and also have LRS fish frenzy. I hold it in front of her mouth with long tongs.. sometimes she kinda "mouths" it and when she did ingest a single mysis.. she spit it out.
I was going to go get some prawns and clams today.. freeze first and then offer.
She normally would go crazy for that!
I appreciate your advice.. and anything else that comes to mind. I've never seen Rods clown food so I'll see if I can find it.
I've been testing water daily for ammonia and yesterday, 24 hours after the last change, I dectected it so I did another 5 gal last night.
I have a penguin(hob el cheapo) filter running on QT with a large piece of sponge from DT that I cut to fit.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you've had your own tragedy to deal with lately...So sorry and you are right! I've had great advice... these R2R fish docs know exactly what their doing!

Thanks, my tragedy is over I'm more concerned with preventing others! :)

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
After being in the hospital for one month to the day... I think mama clown might be ready to go back to her nemes!! I have a couple questions ..any advice is greatly appreciated.
She has only decided to eat in the last couple days. I have to tong feed her. She's definitely not her old ravenous self yet but I was highly encouraged that she has begun to eat.. even if it's just a little. I can continue to tong feed her if I place her back in DT... question #1.. wait till she's eating more or get her back home? I've had to do daily water changes in QT due to daily ammonia reading. Makes me think water quality is just not that good and she could thrive a little more at home in her nemes. She seems like she needs a rest from constantly swimming in QT. I'll slightly squeeze her between glass and pvc pipe for a lil rest and she seems so relieved.
#2. I'm very concerned that the remaining two clowns in DT have become a "pair" in the month since big mama has been gone. If so, two females absolutely will not work.
I don't want them picking on her. I can put egg crate in to separate at first but just not sure what to do...especially for long term.
Here she is tonite. She had a terrible bout of pop eye too..it's been rough, for sure.
@cromag08
@jsker
@Humblefish @melypr1985 @TroutbumNV @4FordFamily
The white dot in first pic is on glass.. not her head!
IMG_2266.JPG
IMG_2265.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question #1.. wait till she's eating more or get her back home? I've had to do daily water changes in QT due to daily ammonia reading. Makes me think water quality is just not that good and she could thrive a little more at home in her nemes. She seems like she needs a rest from constantly swimming in QT. I'll slightly squeeze her between glass and pvc pipe for a lil rest and she seems so relieved.
#2. I'm very concerned that the remaining two clowns in DT have become a "pair" in the month since big mama has been gone. If so, two females absolutely will not work.

I was cool with you putting her back into the DT until I read about the possible "new couple". If true, they will almost certainly attack big mama in her weakened state. :(

A conservative approach would be to place her in an acclimation box (or kritter keeper) near the other two clowns, and see how they interact through the protected plastic. o_O

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cool with you putting her back into the DT until I read about the possible "new couple". If true, they will almost certainly attack big mama in her weakened state. :(

A conservative approach would be to place her in an acclimation box (or kritter keeper) near the other two clowns, and see how they interact through the protected plastic. o_O
Agree entirely. Could be dangerous!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be to remove the larger of the other two clownfish. Force the obvious male to pair up with big mama. Having three clowns is generally a bad idea anyway.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish .. So you think the male has changed over to female in a month? Geez..
Animal kingdom amazes me sometimes
ps..they were all bought together as tiny babies 3 years ago and have had a very harmonious relationship. The littlest one has been a "midwife" for the mated pair.. chasing away any intruders while they did their thing.
Will be hard to re-home one.. if that's even possible.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks good. I say go ahead and put her back. Though you'll need to watch reactions from the other clowns carefully. One of them might need to go to a new home.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
After being in the hospital for one month to the day... I think mama clown might be ready to go back to her nemes!! I have a couple questions ..any advice is greatly appreciated.
She has only decided to eat in the last couple days. I have to tong feed her. She's definitely not her old ravenous self yet but I was highly encouraged that she has begun to eat.. even if it's just a little. I can continue to tong feed her if I place her back in DT... question #1.. wait till she's eating more or get her back home? I've had to do daily water changes in QT due to daily ammonia reading. Makes me think water quality is just not that good and she could thrive a little more at home in her nemes. She seems like she needs a rest from constantly swimming in QT. I'll slightly squeeze her between glass and pvc pipe for a lil rest and she seems so relieved.
I don't want them picking on her. I can put egg crate in to separate at first but just not sure what to do...especially for long term.
Here she is tonite. She had a terrible bout of pop eye too..it's been rough, for sure.
@cromag08
@jsker
@Humblefish @melypr1985 @TroutbumNV @4FordFamily
The white dot in first pic is on glass.. not her head!
IMG_2266.JPG
IMG_2265.JPG
Did you get the Popeye taken care of? If not, Epsom salt works wonders.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's somewhat better, but not resolved.., what is the epsom salt tx?

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Glad to hear that thing are going better with Big Mama. You have some great advice for the others in regards to reacclimated big mama and treatment for the popeye. To sum it up a little more recovery time with epson salt and meds then a slow acclamation. If I may suggest putting the two new clown in a acclamation box and letting Big Moma have the run of the tank might be best for all.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back