All you woodworkers out there

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about getting in to this hobby a little bit. It seems like fun and I think I would enjoy learning to build stuff on my own.

One of the first things I am wanting to build is my tank stand because I am starting a new build very soon. I want to make it out of something like 3/4 Birch plywood. No 2 x 4's. If I have this clear, all I should need without getting all fancy, is a circular saw, kreg jig, pocket screws, level, square, wood glue, wood glue, and a guide of some sort to make straight cuts.

The tank foot print is 48 x 18. If the tank has a plastic brace on the bottom, should the plastic brace rest right on top of the edges of wood or should the wood rest right in the glass? Or would it just be better just to put another piece of plywood on top and some kind of padding underneath the tank to account for any irregularities that could put pressure on the glass?

If I'm missing something let me know. Any advice would be much appreciated too as I said this is my first time really building something on my own like this.

Last edited:

Nolan Shinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, all of this depends heavily on the size (read: weight) of your tank. You could theoretically build a stand out of only plywood. Or really anything provided it's engineered well.

You could put the pocket on either side, but if you're trying to conceal them then the inside. However, that fastening method with 3/4" plywood isn't gonna make a very strong stand

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, all of this depends heavily on the size (read: weight) of your tank. You could theoretically build a stand out of only plywood. Or really anything provided it's engineered well.

You could put the pocket on either side, but if you're trying to conceal them then the inside. However, that fastening method with 3/4" plywood isn't gonna make a very strong stand
It's going to be 75 gallon tank. When you say fastening, do you mean that the pocket screws are not going to be good enough to hold together the plywood?

Nolan Shinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be 75 gallon tank. When you say fastening, do you mean that the pocket screws are not going to be good enough to hold together the plywood?
It'll hold plywood together, but unless you've got a clever stand design, it's gonna have little to no structural integrity.
How come you want to use only plywood? A constraint like that is gonna make the process a bit more difficult than it would otherwise be

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll hold plywood together, but unless you've got a clever stand design, it's gonna have little to no structural integrity.
How come you want to use only plywood? A constraint like that is gonna make the process a bit more difficult than it would otherwise be
Plywood isn't bulky. It allows for more room inside the stand than 2 x 4's would. I have a rough design of the stand somewhere. I may be able to find it.

Nolan Shinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your first question about the wood touching just the plastic rim, I'd definitely put a plywood top on your stand. It'll help ensure you've got a nice level surface for your tank to rest on and will add structural stability

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The measurements are off slightly. I have an updated one somewhere but can't find it. This is basically what it would look like though.

Nolan Shinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood isn't bulky. It allows for more room inside the stand than 2 x 4's would. I have a rough design of the stand somewhere. I may be able to find it.
Let us know! If you can't find a design I'm happy to draw up a plywood only stand for you. But honestly I'd suggest rethinking the stance on using boards. The space savings are negligible compared to the effort it would take to build a plywood stand that can support a 620lb+ system (75gal x 8.36lbs per gallon).

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add a top and definitely some cross supports to that bad boy at least. That would help reduce the likelihood of it folding in on itself
Yea I was going to put a cross support on it. Honestly though, if I can achieve the design below without plywood, I'm all for it. I'm sure it would cost less and add much more extra support.

IMG_6152.PNG

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank needs to be supported all the way from the plastic frame to the floor with wood. Never support a framed tank on the glass nor do you need any sort of padding for it. The pocket holes can be used to attach the wood to each other but not for structural support of the tank. Plywood will be fine for this size tank. I would put some sort of center support however. Also put a piece of plywood across the top for the tank to sit on.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocket hole screws, wood glue and NO top piece. this was for a 250g tank.

IMAG0243_zpsfacu5orm.jpg

4130_zpsfs6xqrnr.jpeg

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocket hole screws, wood glue and NO top piece. this was for a 250g tank.

IMAG0243_zpsfacu5orm.jpg

4130_zpsfs6xqrnr.jpeg
I would die for a stand that nice. What do you do to compensate for any possible irregularities in the leveling of the wood since there is no foam to set underneath? Also I read that carpeting can sometimes make a tank stand uneven because the floor underneath the carpet is not level. It said you could rip back the carpet and shim it. But that's not an option for me because I'm renting this place and I don't think they would be too happy if I did that lol. So do you think the carpet is going to affect the leveling if any at all?

Also what types of pocket screws do you use for birch? Fine or coarse? And what length for 3/4 plywood?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would die for a stand that nice. What do you do to compensate for any possible irregularities in the leveling of the wood since there is no foam to set underneath? Also I read that carpeting can sometimes make a tank stand uneven because the floor underneath the carpet is not level. It said you could rip back the carpet and shim it. But that's not an option for me because I'm renting this place and I don't think they would be too happy if I did that lol. So do you think the carpet is going to affect the leveling if any at all?

My cuts are accurate so no need to compensate. foam is only used for flat bottom glass tanks. trim tanks should not have foam and only a sheet of plywood if you're unsure of your panel cuts. but even with a piece of plywood, if your panels are too far off then you're asking for trouble.

Carpet can be an issue. once a stand is in place check to see if it's level. use composite shims if necessary. then put the tank on it and fill it with water. check the level again and shim if necessary.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cuts are accurate so no need to compensate. foam is only used for flat bottom glass tanks. trim tanks should not have foam and only a sheet of plywood if you're unsure of your panel cuts. but even with a piece of plywood, if your panels are too far off then you're asking for trouble.

Carpet can be an issue. once a stand is in place check to see if it's level. use composite shims if necessary. then put the tank on it and fill it with water. check the level again and shim if necessary.
Do you use fine or coarse pocket screws for birch and what length for 3/4" plywood?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back