Almost dead nem

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So someone surrendered a magnifica nem to worm a few weeks back, and it has never been terribly great since. Work had it priced at $500 and I managed to convince them to let me buy it at $20 as it was at death's doorstop.

I'm after some reccomendations for what I might be able to do to nurse it back to health. I know theres almost 0% chance of it making it, but hey, worth a try right?

Here it is. It came in to us at about 6-8" across, and is now anout 3 :/
20170119_185004.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So someone surrendered a magnifica nem to worm a few weeks back, and it has never been terribly great since. Work had it priced at $500 and I managed to convince them to let me buy it at $20 as it was at death's doorstop.

I'm after some reccomendations for what I might be able to do to nurse it back to health. I know theres almost 0% chance of it making it, but hey, worth a try right?

Here it is. It came in to us at about 6-8" across, and is now anout 3 :/
20170119_185004.jpg
Good luck .. I hope he makes it !!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

Sorry, only post-advice.

Don't touch it with bare hands after it's dead....it's the most penetrating (as in non-removable) smell I've been acquainted with. Reach in with the plastic bag you intend to discard it in...and plan to scoop up all the water around it too. It will be messy.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

Sorry, only post-advice.

Don't touch it with bare hands after it's dead....it's the most penetrating (as in non-removable) smell I've been acquainted with. Reach in with the plastic bag you intend to discard it in...and plan to scoop up all the water around it too. It will be messy.
Omg really ??!!

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's still alive, but that's already set in [emoji14] nice and stanky :/

I put a little bit of a vitalis/new era anenome pellet in its mouth and it closed it. On top of that most of the tentacles still move on their own, so there's hope right? Please? ;)

Nem4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat! LFS got two in who looked terrible. They weren't even going to bother trying to save them. I said ill take em. One died the next day. The other fully inflated that day and stayed inflated for almost a week. Its been in slow decline since. Just yesterday afternoon i set up a hospital tank and dosing with antibiotics. Im documenting everything and crossing my fingers.
Following along! Good luck!

20170118_151945.jpeg

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat! LFS got two in who looked terrible. They weren't even going to bother trying to save them. I said ill take em. One died the next day. The other fully inflated that day and stayed inflated for almost a week. Its been in slow decline since. Just yesterday afternoon i set up a hospital tank and dosing with antibiotics. Im documenting everything and crossing my fingers.
Following along! Good luck!

20170118_151945.jpeg
Do you have a thread for that? I hope it comes through for you!

Nem4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I will start a thread if its successful. Ive read the cipro threads. Unfortunately i didnt have any and wasnt able to get it in a pinch. I did have clindamycin and although i havent seen anyone using it for this purpose, from what ive read it attacks both gram neg/point of sale bacteria. So far not a whole lot of improvement, but he also hasnt gotten any worse.

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would isolate it and I cipro or equivalent , mr shrimp will probably add to his stress levels ,good lighting but not burning bright! And good circulation not blasted also clean fresh water changes regularly. Good luck

Nem4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine met his maker this morning. Maybe he was just to far gone for help. I hope yours pulls through! Keep us posted!

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine met his maker this morning. Maybe he was just to far gone for help. I hope yours pulls through! Keep us posted!
Oh, that murky bucket above was the nem, by the guy's scale on the cipro treatment thread, mine was probably a 13 by the time I got home :/ I vacced it out with a pretty thin hose [emoji14]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back