Ammonia & Nitrate levels in QT or HT

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the number 1 questions I've heard over the years when it comes to quarantine or treating fishes is..."How long can I go before the Ammonia or Nitrites spike?"

That's a great question and obviously depends on tank size, fish load, food, filter, etc.

It would be nice if people can list their findings here in detail. I'll start it off.

15/G tank | Aquaclear 70 & sponge filter| light feeding| 2 Damsels | 1 Med yellow Tang | 2 Clowns| 5 fish total

*Readings after 80hrs*

Ammonia = 0
NO3 = 2
Nitrite = untested due to expired test kit. Sorry

0BB8DF7A-5BCE-4230-9BBE-2C7DDF9E3794_zpseuzeh8qq.jpg

DC342D2B-8ECC-4948-A8D8-0BDC3E342F69_zps20b856cp.jpg

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for biofiltration? That would be an important addition to the information collected. Did you leave it in the sump of your display for a period of time? How long and where in the sump? Was it seeded with a bottled bacteria? What brand and what was your procedure for doing so. All good info to add to the data collected here.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for biofiltration? That would be an important addition to the information collected. Did you leave it in the sump of your display for a period of time? How long and where in the sump? Was it seeded with a bottled bacteria? What brand and what was your procedure for doing so. All good info to add to the data collected here.

I don't use any bio-filtration. I prolly should. I was actually shocked the Ammonia was zero.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have really good flow and a good air-stone...I wonder if that is the key? I just added two new clowns and started the clock over. Did a water change yesterday just because it was getting cloudy. I'll test again with the added fish in 3-4 days and report back here. I hope others will join in because this will help us establish somewhat of a time period (according to bio-load, tank size, etc.) for new reefers with sick fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back