anemone and a water change.

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i recently got a condy anemone, its doing great and has been latched on a spot sense i got him last week. only issue is it is going to be water change day here in a couple days and the nem has latched itself to the glass at the very top of the aquarium lol. so my question is how long can a nem be out of the water or will he drop and move when the water gets sucked out?

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it usually take you to siphon out the water and then replace it? The anemone should be fine for a few minutes or so, (if it's holds on) but just to play it safe you might want to get yourself a credit card or perhaps a spatula and see if you can pry the anemone from the glass beforehand. This should be fairly easy to do. GL.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting are you using
In my experience nems will go straight to the top when the lighting isn't sufficient.
I'm seeing a lot of Algea growth, is this a relatively new tank?

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna say about 10 minutes. i usually just siphon the water back into the sump. But I have a spare pump so I could get it in there much faster if needed.

I'm running 6 HOT5's and 8 moonlight led's
3x blue 3xwhite. The tank is about 5 months old and it's a cyano out break due to leaching phosphates I'm currently running chemiclean to take care of it, that's why I will be changing out the water on Monday.

meganias123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nem! And yeah... if the critter is hanging onto the glass out of water (when the water level drops during your water change) it could potentially cause a basal tear from the weight of it hanging ( since it is going to weight more when it is out of water). A lfs person once taught me the "tickle" method (LOL). It always takes time, so be patient, when removing a nem bc they usually remove slowly, piece by piece. You tickle the very bottom of the anemone and it will slowly start to lift up its sticky base. Make sure you will be there to catch it when it falls! ;)
I've never tried the spatula or credit card method though... Whatever method you use, just remember to go slow... basal tears can be fatal :/

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nem! And yeah... if the critter is hanging onto the glass out of water (when the water level drops during your water change) it could potentially cause a basal tear from the weight of it hanging ( since it is going to weight more when it is out of water). A lfs person once taught me the "tickle" method (LOL). It always takes time, so be patient, when removing a nem bc they usually remove slowly, piece by piece. You tickle the very bottom of the anemone and it will slowly start to lift up its sticky base. Make sure you will be there to catch it when it falls! ;)
I've never tried the spatula or credit card method though... Whatever method you use, just remember to go slow... basal tears can be fatal :/

Thanks! And I will try that method first don't want to damage it.

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to aerate the tank heavily when using chemiclean. Its a culprit in quite a few tank crashes.

Yeah I took no short cuts on that step because I read about that. I was really hesitant to use it at first had been dosing peroxide instead but the cyano seemed to stop being affected by it. But I added a extra power head a large air pump and stone plus emptied my entire wet dry media area of my sump so it would have lots of air lol and so far so good I will start removing the chemiclean in the morning.

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tickle method worked perfectly! Got the nem off the glass pretty easy and I'm happy with his new home! Right in the sand!

image.jpeg

Also chemiclean did wonders for my tank! At least 90% of the cyano is gone and everything is happy!

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tickle method worked perfectly! Got the nem off the glass pretty easy and I'm happy with his new home! Right in the sand!

image.jpeg

Also chemiclean did wonders for my tank! At least 90% of the cyano is gone and everything is happy!

meganias123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpeg

Glad it worked out for you! Looks good :) Hope all goes well with the cyano.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back