Automatic, regular, unattended alkalinity monitoring

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you attending MACNA this coming weekend, keep an eye out for me demonstrating a prototype of my Alkalinity Monitor device. It is capable of interfacing with any controller that can accept a pH probe's input. It has both an accuracy and also a precision of +/- 0.05 dKH. I'm thinking this could be a game changer.

Here is an Apex graph of two day's worth of monitoring of my tank, showing a small daily alk swing in response to the photoperiod:

Diurnal%20Alkalinity%20Swing%20-%20Two%20Full%20Days_zpsbunbn6zk.png

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When should we expect the thread on this to popup ;)
For those of you attending MACNA this coming weekend, keep an eye out for me demonstrating a prototype of my Alkalinity Monitor device. It is capable of interfacing with any controller that can accept a pH probe's input. It has both an accuracy and also a precision of +/- 0.05 dKH. I'm thinking this could be a game changer.

Here is an Apex graph of two day's worth of monitoring of my tank, showing a small daily alk swing in response to the photoperiod:

Diurnal%20Alkalinity%20Swing%20-%20Two%20Full%20Days_zpsbunbn6zk.png

OP
OP
JimWelsh

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a graph where I programmed my Apex to control alk dosing in response to the monitor's output so as to keep it right at a target value, 8.0 dKH in this instance.

Here is the Apex program for the Outlet that controls the alkalinity dosing pump:

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/000:44/006:10 Then ON
If Alk > 08.00 Then OFF
If Alk < 07.10 Then OFF

The reason for the "If Alk < 07.10 Then OFF" line is that if my device were to ever lose power for whatever reason, the output would drop to 7.0 (same voltage as a pH probe at pH 7.0 = 0.0 volts). In that case, I don't know what the alkalinity really is, so stop dosing, and configure an alarm to go off elsewhere in the Apex programming.

Snoozefest_zpsu2q1ijc3.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back