Automatic Water changes. It doesnt get any better then this.

pizzaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm jumping on board and going the stenner route. I just picked up two vertical 60 gallon water containers. Few questions that may sound elementary but I wanna be sure.
1. Drains on containers on bottom. Both containers side by side on garage floor. Do you use a pump to get fresh water from first container to second container to mix saltwater or is there enough gravity to just push it up
2. Do you keep a pump in both tanks constantly moving the water
3. On the second container that houses the saltwater how do most tap into the water. My container has a 3/4 inch fitting on the drain like a garden hose fitting. Do you reduce it somehow to house a 1/4" guest fitting for the line returning fresh saltwater to the sump

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's setup is going to be difference and what works best for them.

My water storage is a large 70 gallon plywood box that I built, divided in half and sealed with rubberizit liquid rubber.
I drilled hole in each side where I want to place my float valve for the Auto shut off valve and have a diverter to switch the output of the RO/DI unit to either container.

I will have 1 pump that can be switched to either container (by turning 2 ball valves) depending on which I want to mix. 1 will mix kalk with RODI water for ATO top off and the offer will mix saltwater. I think I'm going to have the saltwater constantly mixing except when it's too low or when it is mixing the kalk.

They say that kalk is supposed to be mixed for an hour or sso and then let the undissolved settle to the bottom.

The takeup for Saltwater replacement or ATO will go thru the top of the bin and be tie wrapped to a PVC tube that will be in each container for my Water Level Sensor on my Reef Angel controller.

You could reduce the current output down to 1/4" (Bulk Reef has fittings for that), but you won't get all the way to the bottom of the container.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In two years, what maintenance have you had to do and what other hiccups have you encountered if any? Someone I know is selling a 20gpd Stenner unit, but I'm wondering how I keep debris out of the line pumping out waste water. Have you had any issues? Also, how loud are these Stenner pumps??

I have had no issues with this system. No issues with debris in the waste water. However- The Stenner pump IS loud. I wouldnt keep it under the tank in a family living area. i am blessed to have a small closet behind my tank where it sits. I purposely do the WC at 6AM, and 6PM. The one in the morning, all are sleeping, The PM one, the house is buzzing with activity, so no one hears its.

clekchau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool and great idea . I change 100 gallons weekly with the flip of 2 valves but it's still not 'automated' like your setup.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool and great idea . I change 100 gallons weekly with the flip of 2 valves but it's still not 'automated' like your setup.

IMHO- i doesnt matter how you do WC's as long as you do them. Off course lifting buckets is a no no.:);)

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for info on ppl with the Stenner pumps, what pump model did you go with, they have a lot of options , like 25 psi or 100 psi? Also 1/4 or 3/8 tubing.... I was thinking the 34 gallon per day 25 psi with 3/8 tubing.... Thoughts ?

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was looking for info on ppl with the Stenner pumps, what pump model did you go with, they have a lot of options , like 25 psi or 100 psi? Also 1/4 or 3/8 tubing.... I was thinking the 34 gallon per day 25 psi with 3/8 tubing.... Thoughts ?
25 psi is all you need. 1/4" is convenient, I like the 170DMP5 for minimal run time at max available flow.

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u don't think 3/8 tubing would move more water more easily? Or just the same? I was thinking a bigger tube size would be less strain on motor maybe make it quieter?

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pumps are noisy.
I don't think tube size will make a difference. 3/8 will move more water, but I don't think it would make a difference really.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw my stenner injection pump is anything but quiet, it's on my clorinator for house water and I can hear it through the wall and 25 ft away outside

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All the fixed speed stenner motors run at the same rate, the internal tubing is what changes the gal/day. Buying a lower gal/day will not make less noise. Also, using 3/8 tubing vs 1/4 wont make a difference either. For water changes the 25psi is fine, the 100psi is for dispensing against pressure.

These pumps have a very long pull/push limit. I keep mine in the garage 8ft off the floor and run 50ft of tubing thru the attic to my tank. Even with the long run the stenner is still able to pull water from my sump for water changes.

Make sure you buy the right pump, there are many options. We can debate the durability of the stenner all night but if it's too big or too loud for your situation, it's the wrong pump ;)

Teddyboy16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a awesome thread. The stenner pump can't be any louder then my lg portable conditioner. The lg is loud but it doesn't bother me. Everyone's tolerance for noise is different and subjective. The nice thing bout the stenner is it can be remotely located. It could even be put in a sound dampened box to minimize the noise. The stenner pump gives me the most options for remotely locating it to minimize noise, and it can be controlled by my apex to run at times when I'm asleep or during a time when there is activity in the house. Add a float switch to stop it from running when the fresh saltwater has been drained from the mixing tank, and I'm set.

I considered the Genesis renew which is a really nice system, but it's a complex setup and it would be a challenge to remote most of it. I rent a house and I'm going to be looking for a bigger place in the next three or four months, so the stenner ability to pump over long distances is important to me as well as having at the very least a utility room where the washer is located but preferable a attached garage that is located next to or below the house.

I'm still gathering parts for my 100 gallon tank, and won't set it up until after I've settled into my new place. The minor discrepancy in fill/siphon rates is so little that I'm not concerned about it. A good quality needle valve will fix that. I'd only be changing about a gallon a day, so it probably won't make any difference.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for participating in this thread. :)

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dual pumps aren't perfect in their calibration, but it is something that I can live with, however I put a john guest valve and I must have increased the pressure on the pump tube and it wore a vertical groove into it. The pump came with replacements, but fair warning. The other is holding up fine with the same amount of wear.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i couldn't get some of the earlier links to work. Can someone send me a link to the pumps to get? I was thinking about using a dosing pump or two for water changes, this might be easier depending on price

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep going with the original plan of dosing pumps. 290$ for a pump. Ouch. I can achieve the same using a dosing pump with my reefkeeper

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to get something like this going for my new build!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep going with the original plan of dosing pumps. 290$ for a pump. Ouch. I can achieve the same using a dosing pump with my reefkeeper
You will have to use a good dosing pump. GHL doser can do it but you can only run it for 10 minutes at a time to keep the motor cool. The cheap doser would just burn up they don't have the heavy duty motors. That why I went with the GHL model. I have been working with peristaltic pumps for 25 years.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back