Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how and who discovered this method. Lol. Was it just a accidental discovery or did someone try dips with all kinds of chemicals until they stumbled onto Bayer

GuyWalker1219

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This originally started with a guy on reef central he was looking into pesticides and realized that the active ingredient in Bayer was a nerve toxin and felt it would not be harmful to corals since they do not have nervous systems. That is the story I heard anyway and since I started following the thread on reef central I had no reason not to believe it.

Sent from my Android phone Via Tapatalk

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a very long thread on reef central started by Whisperer regarding Bayer as a dip. The whole story is on there and lots of input from different reefers on dosages and methods, it is a very long thread indeed. I settled on my dosage and regimen from all the information on that thread and in particular from a fellow reefer on that thread named Flamron. I tried to contact Flamron to give him credit for the inspiration for this thread but was unsuccessful in contacting him. That thread started about 2 years ago or so.

sleeri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that same thread about a year ago. That's what got me strated with this technique as well. I swear by it. Very effective.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread, I have been using Bayer too. It is my understanding that many LFS use it. I bet most coral we buy has been treated with Bayer at some point. In fact, I may of read that somewhere. It was an owner of an aquarium shop I met while hiking a trail in Colorado a few years ago that explained it to me. I have had ZERO bad results I could blame on Bayer. I have seen plenty of dead whatever in the bottom of the cup. I dose in a cut up gallon water bottle and add about 15 ml to it. I'm not sure what about of tank water that is, it may be about two cups or a little more. I set my watch on the cabinet and clock off 15 minutes. I use a baster to blast it in and around the corals. When I take it out I wear latex gloves and hold the coral upside down in the first rinse and shake it, then let it soak for 15 minutes and shake it again as I place it into a second rinse for another 15 minutes. In that rinse I bast blast it to blow our any remaining dead or weak pests. Then I dip it upside down in a third rinse and shake the devil out of it. Most corals are open within minutes of being put in good water and light. If I have a new coral that doesn't seem to be responding, it gets a re-dip. Well that is my method and opinion.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using bayer as well for quite some time and it works. Only thing I've noticed is that after several months from purchase, the liquid doesn't come out cloudy as when first purchased. I'm wondering if there's a shelf life. I shake it well before using and all but the liquid is still clear coming out. I think, it is still effective but I wonder if it's lost it's potency??
Anyone else experience this?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using bayer as well for quite some time and it works. Only thing I've noticed is that after several months from purchase, the liquid doesn't come out cloudy as when first purchased. I'm wondering if there's a shelf life. I shake it well before using and all but the liquid is still clear coming out. I think, it is still effective but I wonder if it's lost it's potency??
Anyone else experience this?

No, but you made me think of something. I recently poured some in an empty phyto bottle for easy use. It is clear, now I think I may shouldn't of done that. Light may break it down. Does anyone know?

I like having it in that type bottle, so I guess I'll wrap the bottle in black duck tape and store it in the dark, unless someone clues me differently.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Bayer for over 2 years with no ill affects at all. Here's a video I made some time back for those who have never used it before.
[video=youtube;2UubUsZ2CSs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UubUsZ2CSs[/video]

Great video and equally great tunes!! Thanks.

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Bayer over the weekend after finding some aefw on a frag. Although I'm sure it is effective, there was one drawback. The dipping water containing the Bayer solution was so cloudy that it is impossible to even tell if any bugs it predators have fallen off the frag. Anyone have a solution for this as it is imperative to be able to dip and inspect.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Bayer over the weekend after finding some aefw on a frag. Although I'm sure it is effective, there was one drawback. The dipping water containing the Bayer solution was so cloudy that it is impossible to even tell if any bugs it predators have fallen off the frag. Anyone have a solution for this as it is imperative to be able to dip and inspect.

I use a strainer sieve that is made for seperating baby brine shrimp. But also you can put your dip in one container and then when you are done dipping slowly pour the dip into another. Once you start getting close to running out of liquid pour the rest into a white 5 gallon bucket. When there is very little liquid left and it is very shallow in the bucket you will be able to see what has fallen off. Most of the stuff that falls off will settle at the bottom before you start pouring. Its not full proof as using the sieve but it works.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did bayer treatment on about 30 frags. Did the video steps and used 10 min just to be safe and wow so much stuff came off I changed my second rise like 5 times it kept getting gross. Next time im going to get a blaster to spray into them instead of just shaking them like I was. But within 1 min of being in tank the polyps were out further than i've ever seen before. Amazing its almost as if the coral likes it?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did bayer treatment on about 30 frags. Did the video steps and used 10 min just to be safe and wow so much stuff came off I changed my second rise like 5 times it kept getting gross. Next time im going to get a blaster to spray into them instead of just shaking them like I was. But within 1 min of being in tank the polyps were out further than i've ever seen before. Amazing its almost as if the coral likes it?

:bigsmile: yep - you got it!

I just did a rock of mushrooms last night and I soaked them in a rich mixture for 20 minutes, then a large container of change water for about 20 more, then gave them a hard shake in the change water bath, noting more, and they seemed to love it. I guess it is a bit like us getting a nice shower after a hot sweaty day of garden and yard work, it just feels good to be clean.

Last edited:

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk but all my stuff this morning is bug free. I got out the super bright blue led when I looked at all the frags all I saw was little bugs crawling around and bite marks.. awesome? Last night dip fiesta and proud to say this morning after further inspection I see not 1 bug. About 13 min ish dip does infact get the little suckers. All PE is what makes me think theres some unseen goodness about this stuff. It litteraly seems like all the coral (everything was sps) is loving life now.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where can I buy this product?
I have some red bug and would like to give it a try.

thanks

Tone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10ml for 4oz does pretty good..

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back