Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets hope so :) but duno why u wouldnt try it if u have aefw worst case u loose the coral and thats probly not.to bad a thing rather than infesting ur tank haha

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets hope so :) but duno why u wouldnt try it if u have aefw worst case u loose the coral and thats probly not.to bad a thing rather than infesting ur tank haha

Agreed, but to my knowledge I am not infested. So, I have no motivation.

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. Thanks. Im gonna have to incorporate this in to my dipping process.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

containerman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I have been thinking of giving the Bayer dip a try and with your instructions I think it looks easy enough.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just purchased the Bayer, can someone post a picture of the bar code on the bottle? Just want to make sure I got the right one. Thanks

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to dip the coral after it has been placed in DT. I was rushed and didn't have time to dip. I know its to late for the bugs but is it beneficial for shipping stress. Thanks

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe anyone considers Bayer an anti-stress dip. It may function to reduce stress by killing pests that are feasting on it. But the time to dip as you know is before your new frags go in the tank.

rizon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just purchased the Bayer, can someone post a picture of the bar code on the bottle? Just want to make sure I got the right one. Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370466390.489069.jpg

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how your acro survived the 10ml in 4oz of water. I did half that dosage for 5 minutes and nearly nuked every acro that i dipped, half might survive. I would recommend doing a 1/10th, or maybe even less, of what the OP recommends. Absolutely no reason to use 10ml / 4 oz ratio.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dipped hammers, candy canes, chalices, dendros, and duncans without issue.

Scratch hammers off that list. I had one recede to the point where I almost lost it and lost another. Only reason I did the bayer dips on those corals was because they came from a system with sps in it. I'm overly cautious when it comes to dips though because I don't have a separate coral qt system (just fish qt). I'd rather deal with a receding coral versus AEFW. Just my experience.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wanted to report that the zoas I dipped did fine. They seemed to tolerate the dip much better. Interestingly my birdsnest, which I did not dip, sucked in theirs polyps like the bayer transferred into the actual QT tank. I soaked the frags in clean tank water after the dip.

When using this dip do a double dip in tank water to ensure bayer does not get into your system. I just threw in some carbon to see if that helps.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how your acro survived the 10ml in 4oz of water. I did half that dosage for 5 minutes and nearly nuked every acro that i dipped, half might survive. I would recommend doing a 1/10th, or maybe even less, of what the OP recommends. Absolutely no reason to use 10ml / 4 oz ratio.

I have dipped a 100 plus frags and have had one wild colony frag not survive after a couple of hours but almost every other acro showed no sign of stress that I saw. There are a couple of versions of Bayer insecticide produced, I have only used the one pictured on the first page of this thread. There is a much longer thread on the other large forum for reefers and most people have seen little adverse events from the Bayer dip on that forum. Smooth skinned acros tend to be most sensitive to dipping. I have dipped my original red dragon, mr. Pacman, purple dragon eyes and lots of other named and unnamed deep waters without loss as well. I really don't know why you had such a terrible experience with the Bayer dip. Every single frag in my tank, sps or lps has been through the Bayer dip at the concentration of 10 ml's of Bayer insecticide to 4 ounces of saltwater ( frag or tank water ) for 5 to 15 minutes. And yes I place them in a clean tank water rinse for at least another 5 minutes to avoid contaminating the tank with insecticide.

Others have tried different concentrations for varying amounts of time. The best concentration would be the least amount that effectively killed AEFW and red bugs. Nobody has done the research to determine that amount, so this concentration is based upon empirical information. Using a lesser amount of Bayer may or may not work. What I presented is merely what others have shared and what has seemed to be effective preventatively for me.

Last edited:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dipped a 100 plus frags and have had one wild colony frag not survive after a couple of hours but almost every other acro showed no sign of stress that I saw. There are a couple of versions of Bayer insecticide produced, I have only used the one pictured on the first page of this thread. There is a much longer thread on the other large forum for reefers and most people have seen little adverse events from the Bayer dip on that forum. Smooth skinned acros tend to be most sensitive to dipping. I have dipped my original red dragon, mr. Pacman, purple dragon eyes and lots of other named and unnamed deep waters without loss as well. I really don't know why you had such a terrible experience with the Bayer dip. Every single frag in my tank, sps or lps has been through the Bayer dip at the concentration of 10 ml's of Bayer insecticide to 4 ounces of saltwater ( frag or tank water ) for 5 to 15 minutes. And yes I place them in a clean tank water rinse for at least another 5 minutes to avoid contaminating the tank with insecticide.

Others have tried different concentrations for varying amounts of time. The best concentration would be the least amount that effectively killed AEFW and red bugs. Nobody has done the research to determine that amount, so this concentration is based upon empirical information. Using a lesser amount of Bayer may or may not work. What I presented is merely what others have shared and what has seemed to be effective preventatively for me.

Thanks for following up. I trust that you've have good success with this ratio of Bayer to aquarium water. I ensured that I purchased the exact some product but I will double check when I get home. I was really surprised to see the acro's dying so quickly after the dip, perhaps there were other environmental factors at play. I plan on doing some test dips with known health/stable corals within my system (that I have extra of) to see if I can determine what happened.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 4 cups of tank water and then add 1.5 ml of bayer - soak for 5 mins . Never had a problem. . Love that bayer stuff

Ajk'sreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WoW I learned something new today. I didn't no you can use this stuff I thought it was unsafe

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back