Being totally honest: Stuff that scares the daylights out of me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’m man enough to admit it…

After a lifetime in the fish world, there are still some things that I’m flat-out afraid to do. Stuff that scares the daylights out of me. Some of these are challenging to almost anyone- others are seemingly mundane, yet have hidden difficulties that can sink your whole project…yeah. And now that I'm moving back into the rarified air of "practicing reefer" yet again, these things come streaming back to me!

I've learned, over the years- like every reefer- that it's really easy to bite off more than you can chew, or that you can easily swim out into waters that are a bit rougher than you're used to. Now I admit, pushing ourselves in the hobby is good- it's how we advance- but there are still things-places- that I just won't go to. I know myself well enough.

Notice that I didn't say "programming my controller" or anything like that? It's because I realized that, after building and managing two websites, one completely from scratch (tanninaquatics.com), that an old dog CAN learn some new tricks, and that these things build on other skills we use every day.

Does that mean I'm being open-minded or amicable to trying every new thing that comes along?

Of course not. No way! That's what Jake Adams is on the planet for.

Besides, you'd be bored of me if I liked everything just like every other reef hobby writer out there, and wasn't a bit grumpy, negative, and otherwise resistant about stuff that should be no big deal (remember my rant on frag plugs...? Case in point.)

I know I have many more, but here’s an initial list you can build on, I’m sure…So, in no particular order, here is my list of the top 7 aquarium-related things that scare the @#$%& out of me:

*Drilling aquariums- Glass, acrylic; doesn’t matter…The idea of taking a perfectly good aquarium, and using my limited DIY skills to drill it out for a bulkhead, fitting- whatever, is a akin to performing an apendectomy on myself…ain’t gonna happen. Strictly for professionals with experience, skill, tools…and liability insurance!

tank cracked around through hull from Pb stress.JPG

"Hole-y...!" Sorry, couldn't resist...

*Automatic water changing systems- If I had a dollar for every person I know who’s had a nightmare failure (ranging from minor leaks, to full-on flooding of a multimillion dollar Hollywood Hills home) caused by automating water changes, I wouldn’t be slinging corals for a living. The mere thought of installing such a system in my home makes me shudder. Like "jumping out of a perfectly good airplane..." Besides, I love manual water changes. Really!

*Building an aquarium stand- Seriously? Unless you have mad carpentry skills, this is one that is just fraught with danger, IMHO. I fully admire anyone who has those skills, and the courage to forge ahead on a project like that…and a gracefully step aside and admire from afar. I mean, if you don’t get it perfectly right…if that joint isn't perfectly solid...if that brace isn't exactly lined up...how long will it be until the inevitable disaster?

Leaning-Tower-99681.jpg

"Well, it looked perfectly straight...right?"

*Plumbing- Look, I’ve set up my HDTV, learned how to build a website, etc.- but few things intimidate me like trying to plumb stuff like return pumps and skimmers. Why do you think I love sump-based skimmers so much? Calcium reactors are another one of those “ white knuckle” devices that I have had mixed results with over the years!

plumbing7.jpg

My head would explode if I had to plumb this. Really.

*Retrofit Lighting Systems- Okay, I know I’m not alone in this one…Anything that involves wiring, light bulbs, and water is a recipe for problems in my book. To me, it makes a heck of a lot more sense to pay the extra few bucks for the completed lighting system, right from the manufacturer.

Cree_UR_June5_13.jpg

Ok, now what?

*Bagging fishes and corals- Okay, even though I am an owner of a company that sells corals and marine fishes, I suck at bagging them. I sucked at it as a kid when I worked at the LFS, and I still suck at it. Like, I have two left hands or something…That’s why I have people that are really skilled with rubber bands to do the job. Oh, I’m a demon on an impulse sealer, but that is not quite as widely used..yet. Bagging. Yuck. Hey, I’m honest- it’s the task I like the least in this industry.

UCBox02_zps525ad2af.jpg

When you receive your box from UC, be glad Fed Ex didn't lose it- and even more grateful that Fellman didn't bag your order!

*Netting fishes from a display tank- Sure, it’s a fundamental core skill we all need. Knowing I have to net a fish out of my display tank strikes fear into my hear, as well as that of the fishes I’m trying to catch. Pretty much always results in a wrecked aquascape, frayed nerves, and some seriously stressed-out fishes. I’ve found that, in recent years, I’m even pretty bad at it in an undecorated tank, so you can imagine how awful the experience is in a display! I don’t know if my skills deteriorated in recent years, or if I just never had ‘em..hmm?

koi being netted shutterstock_49044853.jpg

"The yellow one...the YELLOW ONE!!!"

Oh, there are plenty others, trust me…and that could conceivably fill a book…hmm, nothing to be proud of, really, but…

Anyways, I shared mine- let’s here some of yours!

Stay afraid…

And Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats about sums it up for everything I am afraid of too.

Zoomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone keeping! The idea keeping an animal that can torch my corals just because it got unsatisfied decided to go on a walk about scares the crap out of - never mind the power head accidents I hear about every now and then.

One of those things that I know is done all the time, its just not for me or my tanks...

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Educating people that refuse to educate themselves. Such grand failure comes from what they dont know that the answer is doomed to fail anyway. Sometimes I read the question shake my head, turn and cough, and move on to the next unanswered question.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Educating people that refuse to educate themselves. Such grand failure comes from what they dont know that the answer is doomed to fail anyway. Sometimes I read the question shake my head, turn and cough, and move on to the next unanswered question.
We have this (kind of horrible, but true) expression: "You can't save people from themselves..." Oft times true, unfortunately.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afraid of adding anything new to my tanks, even after dipping and quarantining. I still add, but I always feel like I missed some type of pest.

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always great reading your posts Scott! What scares the hell out of me is changing out my GFO/ Carbon reactor! Its under my tank with water running through it in a room full of carpet (why i set the tank in that room i have no clue). ALWAYS SCARED TO CHANGE THAT SUCKER

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always great reading your posts Scott! What scares the hell out of me is changing out my GFO/ Carbon reactor! Its under my tank with water running through it in a room full of carpet (why i set the tank in that room i have no clue). ALWAYS SCARED TO CHANGE THAT SUCKER

I know the feeling...My Ehiem on my office tank is the same way...scary!

soeminpaing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing perfectly beautiful strands of greeny bryopsis. Blood red coloration of cyano, silvery white strings of vermitid snails, the colorful and pretty nudibrachs on my zoanthids. I also fear almost all the things on your list. :)

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water testing using test kits. I can't tell which color my test matches up to very accuratly so I end up second guessing myself. Ironically enough I make my living (kind of) as a biologist yet I can't afford test meters for my own tank.

I'd be nervous building my own stand and would probably over build it.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I found terrifying about hooking up my retrofit T5s was the wiring harness they provided. I ended up buying a bunch of new wire and redoing the whole thing. If I wasn't good with ac I could only imagine what could have gone wrong. (I wish it was like the ones pictured.)

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have this (kind of horrible, but true) expression: "You can't save people from themselves..." Oft times true, unfortunately.

Both quotes really stating what I am going to state: You can't fix stupid!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back