Best salt mixes

Ingo Hartig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading your threads, I am wondering if I am going financially overboard by using "Salinity" by Aquavitro. I am paying close to $100 a bucket. What do you think?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading your threads, I am wondering if I am going financially overboard by using "Salinity" by Aquavitro. I am paying close to $100 a bucket. What do you think?

I personally think so, but many people may disagree. :)

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

$100 a Bucket!

My LFS has it 69.99 and that is for the Large Bucket (225 Gallons).

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to do a lot with where you're at. Where I'm at RC and IO is 60$ a bucket, but amazon has them much cheaper. Not that I would ever use either anymore. Quite happy with Red Sea blue bucket and Red Sea Coral Pro.
If you google/bing you can often find deals elsewhere, just look for free shipping. The same can be said about ebay.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use Salinity also and being in Canada pay more than you do, and the only way to find out is to try. Go pick a different salt, buy a smaller amount if you can or see if a friend will give you a bag for a few bucks. Then take a long good look at your tank and make some notes, then do a 20% water change and watch your tank, any immediate changes make notes, after 1 day and 2 days ect... for 7 days. Now do another 20% and repeat, the big thing is when doing this try and not change anything else, so if your Carbon or GFO need to be changed then do that first and wait a day before you start your small experiment. If you do decide to try do not forget to post your results. Good Luck!

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, what is the most ideal salt mix to use on QT tank? Not for my main tank and not for any corals?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, what is the most ideal salt mix to use on QT tank? Not for my main tank and not for any corals?
I use same thing I use in my tank, aiming for less variance when moved to display. Is why I use rodi, bring up to same salinity, etc.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For QT of a fish, I can't see that it matters much as long as it gets to the same salinity as the main tank before return.

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using IO and RC for 20yrs, I tried a few others but always go back. I think stick with the salt mix that gives you results, and RC gives me that.

Ingo Hartig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salinity also and being in Canada pay more than you do, and the only way to find out is to try. Go pick a different salt, buy a smaller amount if you can or see if a friend will give you a bag for a few bucks. Then take a long good look at your tank and make some notes, then do a 20% water change and watch your tank, any immediate changes make notes, after 1 day and 2 days ect... for 7 days. Now do another 20% and repeat, the big thing is when doing this try and not change anything else, so if your Carbon or GFO need to be changed then do that first and wait a day before you start your small experiment. If you do decide to try do not forget to post your results. Good Luck!
Thanks for your answer. I like the salt since I never had a problem. The tank is doing well. Best Ingo

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would be to just stay with Instant Ocean. I've used it for years, and it's always worked for me. Some of the other brands are more expensive, but I wouldn't think they'd be any better. Why fix something if it isn't broken?

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used instant ocean and switched to Red Sea coral pro and caused my zoas to burn up from my alk. Being so bad.. I then switched to just Red Sea marine and it helped but not as I would have wanted. So I did another water change this time adding instant ocean and got it just right.. I love Red Sea products.. the salt just isn't right for me.. not saying don't use it.. cause you may have better luck. It does mix very well:) good luck

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've no been in the hobby for 20years. I'm convinced that salt mix alone is not the difference between success or failure. I have used Instant Ocean most of my hobby experience. I did use about 6 200g buckets of Tropic Marin Pro for a while . My tank did just as good with Instant Ocean as it did with the Tropic Marin. The only postitive of Tropic Marin over the Instant Ocean was I didn't have to wipe down the sides of my mixing container as often but that didn't justify nearly double the cost. Tank did just as well with Instant Ocean. As others have stated, I don't try to breed fish or inverts so doesn't really matter to me what urchin studies there may be. I could care less regarding the big 3 Alk/CA/Mg levels since they are easily manipulated for pennies. High Alk never bothered me since it would take a large single water change for it to make much of a difference and since my tank consumes about 1.5dkh per day even if it does have elevated levels they would be back to normal in a matter of 24-48hours. A nice bonus for me is I have my salt mixing bucket calibrated to a single bag of IO has I really don't have to do any measuring salt just double check the salinity and add some CA and Mg to get to my levels I prefer so its usually quick and easy process.

I personally don't take much stock in any salt being a make or break decision.

Last edited:

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used instant ocean, seachem and now I use salinity by aquavitro. I've been using that for a couple months now. I've never had such stable water. The pH is always at 8.3, calcium is always around 450. dkh at 8. Which I would like to bring it up a little. But in time it may. My corals are growing like weeds in July. I would recommend this salt to everyone. But everyone has what works from them. What I can say is never use instant ocean. It's ok salt but if you plan on having or do have corals that salt doesn't have good calcium. Fish only tank it should be fine. But also remember when you do swich slowly start using the new stuff with the old. Upping it a little by little over 4 or so water changes. Like 25% new to 75% old. Then 50% 50% and so on. Slow and steady wins the race.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used instant ocean, seachem and now I use salinity by aquavitro. I've been using that for a couple months now. I've never had such stable water. The pH is always at 8.3, calcium is always around 450. dkh at 8. Which I would like to bring it up a little. But in time it may. My corals are growing like weeds in July. I would recommend this salt to everyone. But everyone has what works from them. What I can say is never use instant ocean. It's ok salt but if you plan on having or do have corals that salt doesn't have good calcium. Fish only tank it should be fine. But also remember when you do swich slowly start using the new stuff with the old. Upping it a little by little over 4 or so water changes. Like 25% new to 75% old. Then 50% 50% and so on. Slow and steady wins the race.

I'm glad you like it, but just to clarify, the salt mix being used has nothing to do with pH stability. Only the alkalinity and carbon dioxide level in the water impacts the pH and pH stability. :)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you like it, but just to clarify, the salt mix being used has nothing to do with pH stability. Only the alkalinity and carbon dioxide level in the water impacts the pH and pH stability. :)
Hey Randy. Just curious if you have a picture of your tank? I'm not calling you out in doubt but Ive been on here since 2015 and I realized I've never seen your tank? You are one of the most helpful people on R2R I have met, yet I can't place a tank with the name. ;):)

debby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ESV. I have 180g display, 40g sump. The ESV makes the clearest water I've ever seen, but it isn't inexpensive. It is, however really easy to mix up. All you need is a $10 digital scale from Bed Bath or Home Depot. I typically do 35-40 gallon changes once a month.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back